By Ifeoma Ikem
With just a few days to the 2019 general elections in Nigeria, Access Nigeria an umbrella body for the disabled in Nigeria has commended the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for the franchise rights of the disabled communities in Nigeria into account.
Among the reason for the commendation is the simplification introduced by INEC to enables the blind visually impaired physically challenged to fully participate in elections of their candidates of choice.
According to Access Nigeria in a speech delivered in Lagos appreciates rally at INEC office, INEC has provided special eye glasses, for the visually impaired, braille materials for the blind and other necessary elections enabling logistics to make sure that these categories of Nigerians are not disenfranchised.
The Lagos state chairman of physically challenged person (PWD), Dare Darius, noted why it is important for PWDs to be part of electorate, saying that more than 20million persons with disabilities can have access to polling unit but Independent Electoral Commission have made it possible. ” We are physically challenged person but can effectively function fully well in the process of electioneering.
He also said that disability votes are not disable, thumbprinting does not tell whether the electorate is disabled or not. We need to study the work of political parties and their candidates to know they have good intention.
Barr Lukmon Bolarinwa,expressed satisfied for PWDs to be part of electorate since last year with this we can equally functions fully into politics
According to him, we have a greater role to play, we should not be discouraged.
DSS Withdraws Invitation To INEC National Commissioner
With God, I can be bigger than Tiwa savage, Olamide, others — PROMISE
‘Buhari is showing his true colour with Death threats’ – Atiku
Application for the Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Programme closes March 1
PVC-Naija To Hold Seminar On Next Lagos Governor
Cover Of The Week
- Sixteenth UN - AU Joint Task Force on Peace and Security held in Addis Ababa February 18, 2019
- Ethiopia and Djibouti’s renewed resolve for cooperation and economic integration February 18, 2019
- UNHCR South Sudan Operational Update February 18, 2019
- An European Union (EU) road project in Eritrea February 18, 2019
- Zimbabwe: President Mnangagwa’s threats ‘deeply troubling’ February 18, 2019
- Countries urged to ratify labour conventions February 18, 2019
- Procter & Gamble announces newest commitment to gender equality across the Indian subcontinent, Middle East and Africa region at the #WeSeeEqual Summit February 18, 2019
- Africa: The Gambia's National Day February 18, 2019
- Speech by Shri R. Masakui, Ambassador of India to the Republic of Zimbabwe on the 70th Republic Day of India celebration February 18, 2019
- The Gambia's National Day (Statement by Michael R. Pompeo) February 18, 2019
Uncategorized4 days ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
celebrity radar - gossips1 week ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
celebrity radar - gossips3 days ago
How Prophet TB Joshua prophesied election postponement.
Uncategorized4 days ago
Finally, INEC Postpones 2019 election till Feb. 23