Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana has said no leader in Nigeria can annul elections in the country as was the case in 1993.
Falana disclosed this at the inauguration of the League of Anambra Professionals Legal Defence Initiative, held in Lagos on Monday adding that for fear of ICC, no Nigerian leader dared annul election again like a former Head of State, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida (retd.), did in 1993.
He also dismissed the fear that President Muhammadu Buhari might be unwilling to leave office if he should lose next year’s election.
Falana said, “unlike in 1993 when the military President, Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, successfully annulled an election, that is no longer possible. Whoever does that now will end up in The Hague.
He is likely to be tried for crimes against humanity because if you annul an election, you are likely to have a monumental violence in the country which will lead to crimes against humanity.
Before the 2015 elections, the ICC warned that if there was any problem in Nigeria, anybody who was responsible would be arrested and charged like former President Laurent Gbagbo of Cote d’Ivoire. That was the atmosphere under which President Goodluck conceded victory.”
Falana said he decided to speak on the issue in order to assure Nigerians that election could no longer be annulled in Nigeria. This, he said, was important because of the fear that had been expressed that if Buhari lost election, he might not want to hand over. “That belongs to the past,” he declared.
VAT HIKE WILL IMPOVERISH NIGERIANS – TAKE IT BACK MOVEMENT SPEAKS OUT AGAINST FG’S DECISION TO PUNISH NIGERIANS WITH POVERTY
Ubi Franklin’s Shocker : I Have Photos Of All The Married Women Iyanya Slept With
GTBank Builds Nigeria’s First Digital Play Centre for Children
CBN Applauds Ecobank’s Sustainability Efforts
Odumakin Bombs Opadokun
Cover Of The Week
- Mozambique: “Tens of thousands of families have lost everything” March 22, 2019
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) responds to devastating Cyclone Idai with shelter materials and more March 22, 2019
- Humanitarian Border Management Between Burundi, Tanzania Bolstered by Technology March 22, 2019
- African Policymakers Highlight Opportunities of National Climate Plans March 22, 2019
- Access to safe water for all is key to sustainable development March 22, 2019
- UK aid Cyclone Idai response - additional flight to leave for Mozambique March 22, 2019
- Private Sector Joins IOM to Enhance Skills of Gambian Returnees March 22, 2019
- Policy, Trade and the Private Sector in the Digital Era to dominate debate as Conference of African Ministers kicks off in Marrakesh March 22, 2019
- Marriott Hotels brings TED Fellows Salon to the mother city inspiring “Vibrant Innovation” March 22, 2019
- Merck Foundation meets the President and the First Lady of Burundi to launch their programs in the country March 22, 2019
Uncategorized1 month ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
celebrity radar - gossips2 weeks ago
Sir Adebutu Kensington distances self from son’s APM move
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized3 weeks ago
‘I haven’t decamped to APC’ – Titi Oseni debunks rumours