There was pandemonium at the Benue State Government House, in Makurdi, on Wednesday, when a section of the complex was gutted by fire.
Although, no life was lost, the incident, according to witnesses, paralysed government activities within the complex and forced staff of the complex to abandon their duties for the a while.
Sources within the government House told our correspondent that the fire started at around 1:00p.m from the transformer close to the generator room located around the account section within the government house complex.
A staff of government house administration who pleaded anonymity disclosed that the fire started with a thick fume emanating from the transformer which also affected the generator room closed to the accounts section.
He however noted that but for the generator set supplying light to the entire government house which got burnt, the level of damage was not too much as according to him, the combined efforts of workers and the State Fire Service stationed in the complex saved the situation.
“The electric armoured wires supplying light to the account section, the main governor’s office and down to governor’s lodge, were completely burnt down.” he stated.
Permanent Secretary Government Administration, Mr. Iangba Gabriel, who confirmed the incident said that the inferno did not extend to the main account, saying it was the generator plant which tried to malfunction but was immediately shutdown to avoid any damage.
“It was not a serious incident and no damage was done. Those things you saw around the area were debris around the generator room that caught fire.
“People are calling me from Abuja including our people who went to EFCC office, that they heard government house complex particularly the account section was set on fire. Infact, it was not true. The burnt wires and poles were properties of old Nitel not NEPA”, Iangba stated.
WED Show the largest wedding event of 2019 confirmed to hold at the Federal Palace Hotel
Obasanjo, experts meet on Population in Africa
Dbanj gifts producer multi-million naira brand new Range Rover SUV
‘We have raised over N1Million for Baba suwe’s treatment’ – Yomi Fabiyi
‘President Buhari’s death punishment for ballot snatchers is constitutional’ – Festus Keyamo
Cover Of The Week
- USD $1.5 million results-based grants for solar home system companies launched in Malawi to increase energy access February 20, 2019
- Visit of Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs David Hale to Cote d’Ivoire February 20, 2019
- Joint Statement on Escalating Conflict in South Sudan February 20, 2019
- Urgent support needed to respond to Humanitarian Needs in Cameroon February 20, 2019
- Invitation to a press conference with Said Djinnit, UN Special Envoy for the Great Lakes region February 20, 2019
- Secretary-General appoints Major General Zia Ur Rehman of Pakistan as Force Commander of the United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara February 20, 2019
- Climate research should inform development policies in Africa February 20, 2019
- Promoting cooperation on women, peace and security at country level and in multilateral organizations February 20, 2019
- Marriott Bonvoy kicks off Global Marketing Campaign to introduce New Travel Program February 20, 2019
- Annual Africa Shared Value Summit to be held in Nairobi February 20, 2019
Uncategorized5 days ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
celebrity radar - gossips1 week ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
celebrity radar - gossips5 days ago
How Prophet TB Joshua prophesied election postponement.
Uncategorized5 days ago
Finally, INEC Postpones 2019 election till Feb. 23