Godswill Akpabio has resigned his position as the Senate minority leader.
Mr Akpabio’s resignation is contained in a letter dated August 4, which he wrote to the Deputy Senate Minority Leader, Emmanuel Bwacha.
“This letter is to formally inform you of my resignation as the Senate Minority Leader with effect from August 4, 2018,” Mr Akpabio said in the letter.
He thanked the Senate leadership, his colleagues, and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the opportunity given to him to lead the PDP caucus in the Senate for the past three years.
Mr Akpabio, a former governor of Akwa Ibom State, has been on the spotlight in the past few days, following his planned defection from the opposition PDP to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
He is scheduled to be formally received into the APC on Wednesday in a rally in Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom state.
Mr Akpabio, though a first-timer, was elected Senate minority leader in 2015, against known parliamentary convention where leadership positions are usually given to ranking senators.
It is believed that the senator’s political differences with the governor of Akwa Ibom governor, Udom Emmanuel, may be responsible for his leaving the PDP. It is also believed in some quarters that the senator may have been coerced by the APC-led federal government to defect.
The planned defection has rattled politicians in Akwa Ibom, especially officials of the state government and members of the PDP in the state.
2019 elections and the dilemma of victory By Abiodun KOMOLAFE
I got lucky after feeding prisoners with my entire stock of sausage rolls – Ex-hawker
Cult member who is declared wanted over murder nabbed, 4 others arrested
STATEMENT BY H.E OLUSEGUN OBASANJO ON THE JUDGEMENT OF THE OSUN GOVERNORSHIP ELECTION PETITION TRIBUNAL
Why I Am Able To Influence Elections – Tinubu
Cover Of The Week
- Kwese Sevens: Cheetahs Reign On Day One March 24, 2019
- UN chief calls for ‘far greater support’ for Cyclone Idai response March 22, 2019
- A guiding hand: School counsellors in Sierra Leone address early pregnancy, child marriage March 22, 2019
- Mozambique: “Tens of thousands of families have lost everything” March 22, 2019
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) responds to devastating Cyclone Idai with shelter materials and more March 22, 2019
- Humanitarian Border Management Between Burundi, Tanzania Bolstered by Technology March 22, 2019
- African Policymakers Highlight Opportunities of National Climate Plans March 22, 2019
- Access to safe water for all is key to sustainable development March 22, 2019
- UK aid Cyclone Idai response - additional flight to leave for Mozambique March 22, 2019
- Private Sector Joins IOM to Enhance Skills of Gambian Returnees March 22, 2019
Uncategorized1 month ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
celebrity radar - gossips2 weeks ago
Sir Adebutu Kensington distances self from son’s APM move
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized3 weeks ago
‘I haven’t decamped to APC’ – Titi Oseni debunks rumours