The only way to light the path at a child’s feet is to educate that child; feed a curious mind with learning, knowledge and ideas. Indeed, the only way that a nation can liberate itself from abject subjugation is through education and constant learning.
It is for this reason that, in keeping with our ongoing commitment to move Nigeria forward with intervention projects, the Take it back Movement, in association with other well-meaning bodies and organisations, took an empty room and created a well-equipped library for the students of Alaro Community High School, Ijebu Ode, Ogun State.
The school had purposed a classroom to be used as a library but other than a few shelves, the room lay empty, with the school churning out students without a reading culture, students graduating with inquisitive minds but few answers.
Like many schools in Ogun State and indeed, nationwide, Alaro Community High School had received no help from the government, relying instead on generous donations from interested individuals and organisations.
A joint effort from GAIN and the Take it Back Movement, and kind donations of materials from First Baptist Church, Laurel, Maryland, USA saw this empty shell transform into a centre for learning, with books and computers, everything a twenty first century student needs to become one of tomorrow’s leaders.
It was a joy to be able to watch the students happily partake in changing their own destinies, joining in the arrangement of the shelves and books, their faces lighting up as they thumbed through books they’d previously heard of but never had the opportunity to read.
In a state that enjoys the amount of resources, educational budget and governmental handouts that Ogun State does, this should not be the reality for these children, but sadly, it is. They have been abandoned, neglected by a government that does not care about them and has no plans for them or their future. While we might not be able to solve all of the problems, we can start, we can act, and we can begin changing lives today.
We will continue to advocate for the government to do the right thing for Nigerians, but we cannot sit and fold our arms while Nigerians die –from terror, ill health and ignorance. We will continue with these initiatives and ask that you join us in being the change you want to see.
If you are interested in being a part of this ground-breaking initiative and you wish to volunteer or have project ideas, please send an email to [email protected] and we will be in touch as to what skills and resources we might need for future projects.
True transformation has come to Alaro Community High School. This is just the beginning.
Nigeria MUST progress.
Director, PR, Media and Communications
Take it Back Movement
UBA Rewards 20 more Customers with N30m in Wise Savers Promo
Oba Olateru-Olagbegi: A patriot and astute custodian of cultural and traditional values – Obasanjo
Easter: Sanwo-Olu greets Christians, preaches love, selflessness
Breaking: Snakes chase Liberian President ‘George Weah’ away from his office
Ugandan Couple Arrested For Screaming During Sex, Land In Court
Cover Of The Week
- Madagascar beat Zim to earn Barthes Cup Promotion April 20, 2019
- Ethiopia Appoints New Defense and Foreign Ministers April 19, 2019
- Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the death of Major General Francis Vib-Sanziri of Ghana, Head of Mission and Force Commander of the United Nations Disengagement Observation Force April 19, 2019
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Executive Board Approves US$118.2 Million Rapid Credit Facility Assistance to the Republic of Mozambique in the Wake of Cyclone Idai April 19, 2019
- More than 3,400 classrooms damaged or destroyed by Cyclone Idai in Mozambique, says UN Children’s Fund April 19, 2019
- Attack on International Rescue Committee (IRC) supported hospital in DRC leads to loss of life; IRC Ebola responders caught in violence April 19, 2019
- EU endeavours to bridge people through art April 19, 2019
- EURAFRICAN FORUM 2019: António Vitorino, Director General for the International Organization for Migrations – UN Migration Agency (IOM) confirmed to address about the migration dialogue between Europe and Africa April 19, 2019
- Rugby - Zambia: Bhubesi Pride Tours Zambia April 19, 2019
- Media Invitation To Group B U20 Barthés Cup Press Conference April 19, 2019
Uncategorized2 months ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
celebrity radar - gossips2 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Crime1 week ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
Sir Adebutu Kensington distances self from son’s APM move