The Ekiti State House of Assembly has suspended the member representing the Ikere Constituency 2, Mr Sunday Akinniyi, for alleged terrorism and sleeping in the last three years.
The lawmakers also barred Akinniyi from the vicinity of the Assembly complex and mandated the clerk to lodge a formal complaint of threat to lives of members against him to security agencies.
The Chairman, House Committee on Information, Dr Samuel Omotoso, said the suspension followed series of allegations levelled against him by the Leader of Business, Tunji Akinleye.
He said the decision was reached based on a report submitted after investigation carried out by the Ayodele Fajemilehin-led committee of the assembly.
“Hon Akinniyi Sunday was alleged few weeks ago of breeding terrorism within the institution of the House, violence towards the mace in a properly constituted plenary session, belligerent attitude and acts of bellicosity against his colleagues and pugnacious behaviour in his constituency against his own people, all amounting to gross misconduct unbecoming of any honourable member of this House.
“The suspended member was also regularly absenting himself, especially when issues relating to his constituency are slated for discussion.
“Despite complaints of negligence from his people, he remained adamant.”
Omotoso recalled that Akinniyi was initially removed as the Chief Whip of the House on May 24, 2018 when his alleged misconduct became unbearable, towards making him more responsible.
“Rather than achieve this, the few occasions he presented himself for official duties in the House, Hon Akinniyi was in the habit of sleeping from the beginning of any programme to the end to the extent that he was nicknamed ‘the sleeping honourable’.
“Several attempts by the Speaker (Kola Oluwawole) advising him to pay attention to his people and his health has been rebuffed with insults.
“It is in reference to all these that this House viewed the failure of Akinniyi as incompatible with the spirit of good governance and quality representation of the present House of Assembly and he is hereby suspended indefinitely.”
2019 elections and the dilemma of victory By Abiodun KOMOLAFE
I got lucky after feeding prisoners with my entire stock of sausage rolls – Ex-hawker
Cult member who is declared wanted over murder nabbed, 4 others arrested
STATEMENT BY H.E OLUSEGUN OBASANJO ON THE JUDGEMENT OF THE OSUN GOVERNORSHIP ELECTION PETITION TRIBUNAL
Why I Am Able To Influence Elections – Tinubu
Cover Of The Week
- Kwese Sevens: Cheetahs Reign On Day One March 24, 2019
- UN chief calls for ‘far greater support’ for Cyclone Idai response March 22, 2019
- A guiding hand: School counsellors in Sierra Leone address early pregnancy, child marriage March 22, 2019
- Mozambique: “Tens of thousands of families have lost everything” March 22, 2019
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) responds to devastating Cyclone Idai with shelter materials and more March 22, 2019
- Humanitarian Border Management Between Burundi, Tanzania Bolstered by Technology March 22, 2019
- African Policymakers Highlight Opportunities of National Climate Plans March 22, 2019
- Access to safe water for all is key to sustainable development March 22, 2019
- UK aid Cyclone Idai response - additional flight to leave for Mozambique March 22, 2019
- Private Sector Joins IOM to Enhance Skills of Gambian Returnees March 22, 2019
Uncategorized1 month ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
celebrity radar - gossips2 weeks ago
Sir Adebutu Kensington distances self from son’s APM move
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized3 weeks ago
‘I haven’t decamped to APC’ – Titi Oseni debunks rumours