Honourable member representing Ijebu North/Ijebu East/Ogun Waterside at the 8th Nigeria National Assembly and re-elected at the recent concluded House of representatives election for the second time, Hon. Adekoya Abdel-Majid Adesegu made the remark during interview chat with the press at the venue of the on-going orientation programme for members-elect of the 9th Assembly in Abuja, monday, when asked, his take on party imposing a candidate to the house.
“If they try to impose any one on us they will fail. Inas much, I am a free minded person that loves freedom much, for that I will give you your own freedom, provided your freedom is not going to infringe in my own freedom. The house will not allow. Each of our consents should be seek”, he said.
Rep. Adekoya Abdel-Majid went further to emphasise the distinct between the lower chamber which he belongs, and upper chamber, whom he decribed as big men with big cash who are not ready to fight for anything, unlike them, who are always battle-ready for any legal tussle.
He says, “they are full of billionaires who are not ready to fight for anything but we, at the lower chamber are always ready to fight it off. We never shunned away from any legal fights”.
He added, ” All we are just doing now, is just mere child’s play. When we are ready, then politics will come into play. Everybody love freedom. If you want to talk to me, better come to me and talk with me, not giving me instructions. I have freedom to take some certain decision as a member elected to represent my people “, he stated.
It is of note that not only Hon. Abdel-Majid being the only PDP candidate who won election at the state, but is also widely known as a grass root politician who have been in politics for long to understand the terrain of politicking.
Asked why he continues winning elections, while others are losing, he says, ” Because I know my people and my people know me. Even when they are offered money, they went ahead and voted for me. Because I am representing them well”.
Abdel-Majid joined grass-root politics leaving his banking career, and was elected Councillor of Ward F2 in Somolu Local Government in 1996.
Through out my political career so far, I have never been selected but elected. That shows how electable I have been”.
Hon. Abdel-Majid started his political career when he was elected and served as a Supervisory Councillor at the Somolu Local Government area of Lagos state, later to be elected as Vice Chairman of the same Local Government.
In 1996 when Kosofe Local Government was carved out of Somolu Local Government, Hon. Abdel-Majid became the First Executive Chairman of Kosofe Local Government from March 24, 1997 to July 20, 1998 at the end of tenure as Chairman, Abdel-Majid was appointed as Personal Assistant to Jubril Martins-Kuye, the Minister of State for Finance in Abuja from 1999 to 2003.
In the same year, Olu-gbenga Daniel then Executive Governor of Ogun State appointed him the Commissioner 1 in Local Government Service Commission a position he held till 2007 when he was later re-appointed as Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs from 2007 to 2008.
Due to some cabinet reshuffle, the astute Ogun state politician popularly known by friends and political supporters as “Maka” was drafted to the State Ministry of Works as Commissioner where he served from 2008 to 2011.
Presently, Abdel-Majid is a member of the National Executive Council (NEC) of Nigeria’s main opposition party – the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), the highest decision-making organ of the party. He is one of the three members representing South West in the Council and the only one from Ogun State.
“I am the only PDP member being elected and re-elected in entire state of Ogun State and isha Allah, going to be sworn-in soonest to serve till 2023, serving my people”.
Alhaji Abdel-Majid grew up in a Christian family and raised by a mother who was the head of the cathedral (women chapter), married to a christian wife, while he remains a devoted and praticing Muslim.
Source: National Enquirer
UBA Rewards 20 more Customers with N30m in Wise Savers Promo
Oba Olateru-Olagbegi: A patriot and astute custodian of cultural and traditional values – Obasanjo
Easter: Sanwo-Olu greets Christians, preaches love, selflessness
Breaking: Snakes chase Liberian President ‘George Weah’ away from his office
Ugandan Couple Arrested For Screaming During Sex, Land In Court
Cover Of The Week
- Madagascar beat Zim to earn Barthes Cup Promotion April 20, 2019
- Ethiopia Appoints New Defense and Foreign Ministers April 19, 2019
- Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the death of Major General Francis Vib-Sanziri of Ghana, Head of Mission and Force Commander of the United Nations Disengagement Observation Force April 19, 2019
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Executive Board Approves US$118.2 Million Rapid Credit Facility Assistance to the Republic of Mozambique in the Wake of Cyclone Idai April 19, 2019
- More than 3,400 classrooms damaged or destroyed by Cyclone Idai in Mozambique, says UN Children’s Fund April 19, 2019
- Attack on International Rescue Committee (IRC) supported hospital in DRC leads to loss of life; IRC Ebola responders caught in violence April 19, 2019
- EU endeavours to bridge people through art April 19, 2019
- EURAFRICAN FORUM 2019: António Vitorino, Director General for the International Organization for Migrations – UN Migration Agency (IOM) confirmed to address about the migration dialogue between Europe and Africa April 19, 2019
- Rugby - Zambia: Bhubesi Pride Tours Zambia April 19, 2019
- Media Invitation To Group B U20 Barthés Cup Press Conference April 19, 2019
Uncategorized2 months ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
celebrity radar - gossips2 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Crime1 week ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
Sir Adebutu Kensington distances self from son’s APM move