The Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, has said he is not happy with what is happening in Ekiti State ahead of the governorship election holding in the state on Saturday.
A statement on Thursday by the Directorate of Media and Public Affairs of Ooni’s Palace quoted Oba Ogunwusi as saying this when the British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Mr Paul Arkwright, paid him a courtesy visit at his palace in Ile Ife.
The monarch, who expressed worry, said other states would be negatively affected if the Ekiti State governorship election was marred by violence.
The Ooni said, “What I heard happening in Ekiti State during this electioneering period does not make me happy as their father. Enough of the crisis; we do not want any crisis in Yorubaland. Where there is violence, progress and tranquillity will be deprived, but where there is peace, there is progress.
“I specifically warn all youths in Ekiti State to maintain peaceful coexistence before, during and after the election, as brighter future awaits them if they productively discover themselves.
“Youths must refuse to be used for political violence that waste lives because they too can become governor or President of the country in the nearest future.”
The Ooni, who is the Co-Chairman of the National Council of Traditional Rulers of Nigeria, said political violence could reverse all the gains of development while calling on the people of the state to be peaceful before, during and after the election.
The African foremost monarch lauded the efforts of the British government for giving peace a chance in the country while admonishing him to foster further trade relationship that was capable of improving the socio-economic co-existence between Nigeria and United Kingdom.
Arkwright, who is also the United Kingdom Chief Observer to Nigeria on the gubernatorial election in Ekiti State, called for a free, fair, credible and peaceful election in Ekiti State.
2019 elections and the dilemma of victory By Abiodun KOMOLAFE
I got lucky after feeding prisoners with my entire stock of sausage rolls – Ex-hawker
Cult member who is declared wanted over murder nabbed, 4 others arrested
STATEMENT BY H.E OLUSEGUN OBASANJO ON THE JUDGEMENT OF THE OSUN GOVERNORSHIP ELECTION PETITION TRIBUNAL
Why I Am Able To Influence Elections – Tinubu
Cover Of The Week
- Kwese Sevens: Cheetahs Reign On Day One March 24, 2019
- UN chief calls for ‘far greater support’ for Cyclone Idai response March 22, 2019
- A guiding hand: School counsellors in Sierra Leone address early pregnancy, child marriage March 22, 2019
- Mozambique: “Tens of thousands of families have lost everything” March 22, 2019
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) responds to devastating Cyclone Idai with shelter materials and more March 22, 2019
- Humanitarian Border Management Between Burundi, Tanzania Bolstered by Technology March 22, 2019
- African Policymakers Highlight Opportunities of National Climate Plans March 22, 2019
- Access to safe water for all is key to sustainable development March 22, 2019
- UK aid Cyclone Idai response - additional flight to leave for Mozambique March 22, 2019
- Private Sector Joins IOM to Enhance Skills of Gambian Returnees March 22, 2019
Uncategorized1 month ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
celebrity radar - gossips2 weeks ago
Sir Adebutu Kensington distances self from son’s APM move
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized3 weeks ago
‘I haven’t decamped to APC’ – Titi Oseni debunks rumours