The leadership of Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) is deeply pleased with the decision of President Muhammadu Buhari to officially announce ”June 12” as the new date to replace the traditional ”May 29” which Democracy Day will be celebrated in Nigeria after sustainable victory over long reign of dictatorship.
We also commend the President for conferring a posthumous GCFR title on the winner of June 12, 1993, presidential election, Chief Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola (of blessed memory), and GCON titles on his running mate, Ambassador Baba Gana Kingibe as well as the late legal icon and human rights activist Chief Gani Fawehinmi posthumously for his role in the actualisation of the June 12 polls.
We are however stunned that such high profile national recognition and honour was offered on Wednesday June 6, 2018 by the Presidency and no credit whatsoever was given to NUPENG and its sister Union, PENGASSAN despite the painstaking roles played by our leaders. Without contradiction, the democracy Nigeria enjoys today did not come on a silver platter, the leadership of these Unions as well as our members fought for it, in some instances with our blood, tears, freedom, career and regrettably some paid the supreme price.
As responsible oil Unions with long road to freedom and indelible footprints we have left behind in the chequered history of the Nigeria, without sounding immodest, we believe names like Comrade (Chief) Frank OvieKokori (NUPENG former General Secretary), (late) Comrade Wariebi Kojo Agamene (former President of NUPENG), former General Secretary of PENGASSAN Comrade (Chief) Milton Gilchrist Dabibi and others should have featured prominently on that list.
These fearless and irrepressible Nigerians gave their all to earn the country democratic liberty. For pecuniary gains and other reasons, some other Nigerians pitched their tent with the tyrannical military regimes, but our leaders were resolute and blatantly refused to compromise or to receive any form of gratification, despite intimidation, victimization, harassment and incarceration by the military despot.
We therefore use this veritable medium to appeal to our listening National leader, President Muhammadu Buhari and members of his think-tank to look inwards and make necessary amends by reviewing this list so as to accommodate the names of these veterans mentioned above. Democracy cannot be described to have been entrenched when these individuals and the institutions they represent(ed) are not accordingly accentuated in the scheme of things. May God bless Nigeria and strengthen our democracy.
Yike releases new single ‘Holy Water’
8 trailer load of rice, 23 vehicles, others intercepted by Seme command
Video: Police arrest Don Jazzy’s boys DNA twins in Lekki
Photos Of New Boeing 777-300 Aircraft ‘Anuli Peggy Onyema’ Acquired By Air Peace
ChinneyLove Eze Hosts Celebrities to Pre-Release Party of ‘Hire A Woman’ Movie (Exclusive Pictures)
Cover Of The Week
- Dr Jackie King wins prestigious Stockholm Water Prize March 21, 2019
- African countries can do better with improved fiscal policy, says Songwe March 21, 2019
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Executive Board Completes the Last Review of Extended Credit Facility for Ghana March 21, 2019
- Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities reviews the Report of Senegal March 21, 2019
- WHO sending urgent health assistance after Cyclone Idai displaces thousands of people in Southern Africa March 20, 2019
- Africa Climate Week Signals Continent’s Huge Investment Opportunity March 20, 2019
- Cyclone Idai: UN allocates $20 million in emergency funding, as full extent of disaster continues to emerge March 20, 2019
- FAO and Ministry of Agriculture Formulating Future Scenarios 2050 of Livestock Production Systems March 20, 2019
- UK to provide extra £12 million in UK aid for survivors of Cyclone Idai March 20, 2019
- South Sudan’s Ministry of Petroleum Encourages Refiners and Traders to Take Part in Upcoming Crude Tenders March 20, 2019
Uncategorized1 month ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
celebrity radar - gossips2 weeks ago
Sir Adebutu Kensington distances self from son’s APM move
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized3 weeks ago
‘I haven’t decamped to APC’ – Titi Oseni debunks rumours