Olusola Fabiyi, Abuja
The Peoples Democratic Party has said that it is not bothered about moves by the ruling All Progressives Congress to sideline its members in the election of the presiding officers of the Ninth National Assembly.
Rather, it said it was monitoring what is ongoing in the camp of the ruling party and would act when the time comes.
The PDP said there was no way the votes of about 46 senators would not count in the election of the leadership of the Senate.
The National Chairman of the PDP, Uche Secondus, said these in an interview with our correspondent on Sunday.
He said it was not his style to be making noise about the position the party would take when the time was not ripe to elect the presiding officers of the National Assembly.
Secondus said the PDP also have what he called “unshaken confidence” in its lawmakers- elect , adding that “they are all capable to take decisions that are in the best interest of Nigeria, Nigerians and are all good party men and women.”
He added, “We are not bothered about the hue and cry by the ruling party of their winner takes all position.
“We know that politics is about negotiations, discussions and listening to people.
“The Senate is made up of former governors who have served for eight years, ex-ministers and even ambassadors. Some deputy governors are there as well.
“You don’t just summon and bark out orders at such men and women. National Assembly is the nation’s symbol of democracy.
“As a party, we are keenly watching what is ongoing. We are also hearing what some are saying about how they want to control the assembly and all that.
“We are not used to making noise. Rather, we discuss, we negotiate and we agree. When the time comes for us to take a position, we know when to strike. That is politics for you.
“Notable political players who know their onions don’t make noise on the pages of newspapers and on the screen of television stations. We know what we are doing as a party. “
Secondus said he preferred to be underrated by opponents before any election, adding that such was what happened to the PDP in the just concluded election.
“They said we were dead as a political party before the just-concluded general elections. We started with 11 states in December 2017, but got 13 states before the election. Now, we have 15 states with the hope that we would still get more because technically, we are in charge of Osun now.
“If we were not rigged out in some states and at the national level, we would have been in charge of more states. So, let the noise makers continue with their noise, while we keep talking to the people that matter,” he added.
UBA Rewards 20 more Customers with N30m in Wise Savers Promo
Oba Olateru-Olagbegi: A patriot and astute custodian of cultural and traditional values – Obasanjo
Easter: Sanwo-Olu greets Christians, preaches love, selflessness
Breaking: Snakes chase Liberian President ‘George Weah’ away from his office
Ugandan Couple Arrested For Screaming During Sex, Land In Court
Cover Of The Week
- Madagascar beat Zim to earn Barthes Cup Promotion April 20, 2019
- Ethiopia Appoints New Defense and Foreign Ministers April 19, 2019
- Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the death of Major General Francis Vib-Sanziri of Ghana, Head of Mission and Force Commander of the United Nations Disengagement Observation Force April 19, 2019
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Executive Board Approves US$118.2 Million Rapid Credit Facility Assistance to the Republic of Mozambique in the Wake of Cyclone Idai April 19, 2019
- More than 3,400 classrooms damaged or destroyed by Cyclone Idai in Mozambique, says UN Children’s Fund April 19, 2019
- Attack on International Rescue Committee (IRC) supported hospital in DRC leads to loss of life; IRC Ebola responders caught in violence April 19, 2019
- EU endeavours to bridge people through art April 19, 2019
- EURAFRICAN FORUM 2019: António Vitorino, Director General for the International Organization for Migrations – UN Migration Agency (IOM) confirmed to address about the migration dialogue between Europe and Africa April 19, 2019
- Rugby - Zambia: Bhubesi Pride Tours Zambia April 19, 2019
- Media Invitation To Group B U20 Barthés Cup Press Conference April 19, 2019
Uncategorized2 months ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
celebrity radar - gossips2 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Crime1 week ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
Sir Adebutu Kensington distances self from son’s APM move