Former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo has described the late Olowo of Owo, Oba Folagbade Olateru-Olagbegi as a patriot and astute custodian of cultural and traditional values, whose immense contributions to the development of his domain would be greatly missed.
In a release signed by his Special Assistant (Media), Kehinde Akinyemi on Friday, Obasanjo said the death of Oba Olagbegi on Tuesday, was received, with deep regret, even as he commiserated with the Ondo State governor, the Government and good people of the state on the sorrowful demise.
Obasanjo, who is the Odofin of Owo said that “the late Olowo of Owo will be remembered as a patriot and an astute custodian of our cultural and traditional values, who gave his best while on the throne of his forefathers.
“His contributions to the political, social and economic life of Owo Kingdom in Ondo State will remain indelible in the hearts and minds of those who had interacted with him in these spheres.
“Apart from making his mark early as, and epitomising the qualities of, an eminent Legal Practitioner and Senior Advocate of Nigeria by which he has left an indelible mark on the Nigerian legal plane and the administration of justice and later as Chancellor of the University of Benin in 2005, Chancellor of the University of Abuja and until his death Chancellor of the University of Jos and former Chairman of the Ondo Council of Obas, our revered Oba brought his salutary influence to sue for peace, understanding and development in Owo community in particular and the entire Ondo State in general.”
The former President added that the late monarch, “to his family, was a tower of strength and a committed provider; to his community of Owo Kingdom, he was a model in national leadership and development; to his Yoruba kinsmen, he was a worthy Ambassador of all things noble about them; and to the rest of Nigeria, he was a symbol of a nation’s epic struggle in self-discovery and self-actualisation. It is a measure of his selfless and qualitative service to our dear country that he was honoured with the revered national award of the Commander of the Federal Republic, (CFR).
“Although Oba Folagbade Olateru-Olagbegi’s passage is like a dream, especially as he left us at a crucial stage in our nation’s history when his wise counsel and rich experience are greatly needed, I would urge the Chiefs of Owo Kingdom, the entire Owo community and all the members of his immediate and extended family to take solace in the worthy legacy and his mark on the history of this country he left behind. In fact, we ought to give gratitude to God for his worthy life,” Obasanjo was quoted as having said.
Adron Homes Unveils SuperStar Musician Yinka Ayefele as Brand Ambassador
First Bank Splashes Scholarships Worth N2.7m On 18 Customers
Multiple birth is difficult in rearing, seek for support. .., IWS president
IGANDO HOUSING SCHEME, SANGOTEDO, OTHERS READY IN SIX MONTHS- AMBODE
LEGALITY OF MARIJUANA IN NIGERIA: A LEGAL OPINION -Kayode Ajulo, PhD
Cover Of The Week
- Committee Against Torture closes Sixty-Sixth Session May 17, 2019
- UNMISS gives a boost to judicial processes in the Jonglei area (Gideon Sackitey) May 17, 2019
- South Sudan Situation Report, 17 May 2019 May 17, 2019
- Global platform on disaster risk reduction: we need a drastic change of course May 17, 2019
- The United Nations Office for West Africa and the Sahel (UNOWAS) and the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) reinforce cooperation to empower women peacebuilders in the region May 17, 2019
- UAE helps release of four civilians held captive in Libya May 17, 2019
- H.H. Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed receives South African counterpart May 17, 2019
- U.S. State Department hosts “Ethiopia Partnership Forum” May 17, 2019
- Mitigating displacement due to Climate Change, Disasters a Risk Reduction Priority, International Organization for Migration (IOM) says May 17, 2019
- Minister of State Müntefering on the return of the Stone Cross of Cape Cross to Namibia May 17, 2019
Uncategorized3 months ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
celebrity radar - gossips3 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
BREAKING! 2018 YORUBA MOVIE GIST AWARDS NOMINEES LIST FINALLY OUT
Crime1 month ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others