THE Cross River State Police Command on Friday arrested three Internet fraudsters , also known as yahoo- boys, with charms which they used in defrauding and dispossessing their victims of money and other valuables.
This was just as another group of five yahoo- boys were also arrested on the streets of Calabar .
The Commissioner of Police in the state , Mr. Hafiz Inuwa , who disclosed this in Calabar during the parade of the suspects , gave the names of the yahoo boys that were arrested with charms as 22-year – old Chukwuemeka Ahunanya ; Francis Ugochukwu , 25 ; and Emmanuel Chukwuma, 25.
The CP said the three – man gang had confessed to belonging to a syndicate that was using charms to hypnotise potential victims .
Inuwa said , “ On February 23 , 2018 , at about 0940 hours, the following suspects were arrested in the Akpabuyo Local Government Area on a tip – off . They are Chukwuemeka Ahunanya , Francis Ugochukwu , and Emmanuel Chukwuma.
“ During interrogation , the suspects confessed to belonging to an Internet fraud group also known as yahoo boys. They used charms to defraud and dispossess unsuspecting members of the public of their hard – earned money and other valuables. Some charms were recovered from them during the search . ”
He said that investigation was ongoing to identify their victims , adding that the suspects would soon be charged to court.
Similarly, Inuwa disclosed that the command also on March 8 , 2018 arrested another set of Internet fraudsters .
“ We got a tip – off that five young men who specialise in Internet fraud were sighted along Itu Street , off Mary Slessor Avenue, in Calabar , ostensibly to commit a crime .
“ The following five suspects were arrested by men of the Special Anti – Robbery Squad : Emmanuel Anthony , 33; Victor Eyo, 23; Joshua Archibong , 22 ; Michael Oyo , 23 ; and Edet Emmanuel , 20 , ” he said .
Inuwa disclosed that items recovered from the suspects were a pair of scissors , bottles of CSP Codeine, some mobile phones , ATM cards, play station and ML 350 Mercedes Benz SUV.
When interrogated by Southern City News, one of the suspects who specialised in using charms, Ahunanya , said the gang introduced the use of charms to defraud their victims two weeks ago .
Ahunanya , who claimed to be a graduate of the Maritime Academy in Akwa Ibom State , said , “ We just introduced the use of charms into our business . Though we have not perfected it , we think it will work . We have seen others using it . We started it like two weeks ago. We get information that it works for others using it . ”
Another suspect , Chukwuma, said , “ We only started using the charms like two weeks ago and we have not seen its potency . We cannot tell if it will work because it has not worked for us . I am new in the yahoo business . ”
The Commissioner of Police said the suspects would be charged to court as soon as investigation was concluded .
VAT HIKE WILL IMPOVERISH NIGERIANS – TAKE IT BACK MOVEMENT SPEAKS OUT AGAINST FG’S DECISION TO PUNISH NIGERIANS WITH POVERTY
Ubi Franklin’s Shocker : I Have Photos Of All The Married Women Iyanya Slept With
GTBank Builds Nigeria’s First Digital Play Centre for Children
CBN Applauds Ecobank’s Sustainability Efforts
Odumakin Bombs Opadokun
Cover Of The Week
- Mozambique: “Tens of thousands of families have lost everything” March 22, 2019
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) responds to devastating Cyclone Idai with shelter materials and more March 22, 2019
- Humanitarian Border Management Between Burundi, Tanzania Bolstered by Technology March 22, 2019
- African Policymakers Highlight Opportunities of National Climate Plans March 22, 2019
- Access to safe water for all is key to sustainable development March 22, 2019
- UK aid Cyclone Idai response - additional flight to leave for Mozambique March 22, 2019
- Private Sector Joins IOM to Enhance Skills of Gambian Returnees March 22, 2019
- Policy, Trade and the Private Sector in the Digital Era to dominate debate as Conference of African Ministers kicks off in Marrakesh March 22, 2019
- Marriott Hotels brings TED Fellows Salon to the mother city inspiring “Vibrant Innovation” March 22, 2019
- Merck Foundation meets the President and the First Lady of Burundi to launch their programs in the country March 22, 2019
Uncategorized1 month ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
celebrity radar - gossips2 weeks ago
Sir Adebutu Kensington distances self from son’s APM move
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized3 weeks ago
‘I haven’t decamped to APC’ – Titi Oseni debunks rumours