Barring any last minute changes, Ogun State Governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, and his loyalists in the All Progressives Congress (APC) will dump the ruling party.
Their imminent exit from the APC was as a result of the alleged refusal of the party’s national leadership to uphold the candidacy of the governor’s preferred candidate, Adekunle Akinlade, for the 2019 governorship election.
A meeting preparatory to Amosun’s defection was held on Wednesday night at his private residence located at Ibara GRA, Abeokuta.
In attendance at the meeting were APC members from the 20 local government areas of the state, who were loyal to the governor, as well as top government functionaries in the state.
The state chapter of APC had been engulfed in crisis following the adoption of an oil magnate, Prince Dapo Abiodun, as the party’s gubernatorial candidate for 2019 as against Amosun’s choice.
A highly placed source, who was present at the meeting on Wednesday night, confirmed the plan to pull out of the APC.
According to the source, Amosun briefed his loyalists on the outcome of his meetings with President Muhammadu Buhari as well as the APC National Chairman, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, which were not favourable.
The source said the governor informed his loyalists that rather than address the pending issue, the party leadership in Abuja asked him to share the National and State Assembly tickets with certain individuals in the state who never participated in the just concluded governorship and legislative primaries.
The governor was said to have berated those who manipulated the primary election to produce Abiodun as against the consensus governorship candidate of the party, Akinlade.
Amosun, the source added, made it clear that he could not work with Abiodun because he lacked the wherewithal to win elections.
According to him, Abiodun who could not win a senatorial district election in 2015 will be unable to win the whole of Ogun State in 2019.
The governor was said to have maintained his stance that he would bid APC goodbye rather than accept Abiodun’s candidacy.
He, however, did not disclose the particular political party he and his loyalists would consider.
Asked about the growing speculation that the governor is likely to defect to Accord Party, the source insisted that the governor was silent on his choice but only declared that his next sanctuary would not be the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
WED Show the largest wedding event of 2019 confirmed to hold at the Federal Palace Hotel
Obasanjo, experts meet on Population in Africa
Dbanj gifts producer multi-million naira brand new Range Rover SUV
‘We have raised over N1Million for Baba suwe’s treatment’ – Yomi Fabiyi
‘President Buhari’s death punishment for ballot snatchers is constitutional’ – Festus Keyamo
Cover Of The Week
- USD $1.5 million results-based grants for solar home system companies launched in Malawi to increase energy access February 20, 2019
- Visit of Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs David Hale to Cote d’Ivoire February 20, 2019
- Joint Statement on Escalating Conflict in South Sudan February 20, 2019
- Urgent support needed to respond to Humanitarian Needs in Cameroon February 20, 2019
- Invitation to a press conference with Said Djinnit, UN Special Envoy for the Great Lakes region February 20, 2019
- Secretary-General appoints Major General Zia Ur Rehman of Pakistan as Force Commander of the United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara February 20, 2019
- Climate research should inform development policies in Africa February 20, 2019
- Promoting cooperation on women, peace and security at country level and in multilateral organizations February 20, 2019
- Marriott Bonvoy kicks off Global Marketing Campaign to introduce New Travel Program February 20, 2019
- Annual Africa Shared Value Summit to be held in Nairobi February 20, 2019
Uncategorized5 days ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
celebrity radar - gossips1 week ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
celebrity radar - gossips5 days ago
How Prophet TB Joshua prophesied election postponement.
Uncategorized5 days ago
Finally, INEC Postpones 2019 election till Feb. 23