Two men have been arrested by the Police in Owerri, Imo state for allegedly hawking Elephant and Buffalo meat.
The President of the Nigerian Association of Zoological Gardens and Wildlife Parks (NAZAP), Mr. Francis Abioye, who is also the Director of the Imo State Zoo, made this disclosure through a statement issued be association Public Relations officer (PRO), Vitalise Ortese in Abeokuta on Friday.
Ortese stated that the incident reportedly occurred on Wednesday, after the attention of the security agents were brought to the development.
He disclosed that the two arrested men, Mr. Harisel Mohammed, 25 years, and Mr. Mahadi Yusuf, 18 years, both from Ningi LGA in Bauchi State, with preliminary investigations suggesting that they got the meat and parts from wildlife poachers and bandits from the Yankari Games Reserve in Bauchi State, Nigeria.
According to the spokesman, “it is illegal, under the ENDANGERED SPECIES (CONTROL OF INTERNATIONAL TRADE AND TRAFFIC) ACT, an Act that provides for the conservation and management of Nigeria’s wildlife and the protection of some of her endangered species. These species are in danger of extinction as a result of over exploitation.
The first part of the Act states“As from the commencement of this Act, the hunting or capture of or trade in, the animal species specified in the First Schedule to this Act (being animal species threatened with extinction) is absolutely prohibited.
“The second part of the Act further states, “As from the commencement of this Act, no person shall hunt, capture, trade in or otherwise deal with an animal species specified in the Second Schedule to this Act (being animals which, though not necessarily now threatened with extinction, may become so threatened unless trade in respect of such species is controlled) except where he is in possession of a licence issued under this Act.”
Ortese hinted that the arrested meat hawkers “are making useful statements to the Police and NAZAP working with the National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA) and authorities of the Yankari Game Reserve will push for their prosecution in accordance with the law,” he stated.
WED Show the largest wedding event of 2019 confirmed to hold at the Federal Palace Hotel
Obasanjo, experts meet on Population in Africa
Dbanj gifts producer multi-million naira brand new Range Rover SUV
‘We have raised over N1Million for Baba suwe’s treatment’ – Yomi Fabiyi
‘President Buhari’s death punishment for ballot snatchers is constitutional’ – Festus Keyamo
Cover Of The Week
- USD $1.5 million results-based grants for solar home system companies launched in Malawi to increase energy access February 20, 2019
- Visit of Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs David Hale to Cote d’Ivoire February 20, 2019
- Joint Statement on Escalating Conflict in South Sudan February 20, 2019
- Urgent support needed to respond to Humanitarian Needs in Cameroon February 20, 2019
- Invitation to a press conference with Said Djinnit, UN Special Envoy for the Great Lakes region February 20, 2019
- Secretary-General appoints Major General Zia Ur Rehman of Pakistan as Force Commander of the United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara February 20, 2019
- Climate research should inform development policies in Africa February 20, 2019
- Promoting cooperation on women, peace and security at country level and in multilateral organizations February 20, 2019
- Marriott Bonvoy kicks off Global Marketing Campaign to introduce New Travel Program February 20, 2019
- Annual Africa Shared Value Summit to be held in Nairobi February 20, 2019
Uncategorized5 days ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
celebrity radar - gossips1 week ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
celebrity radar - gossips5 days ago
How Prophet TB Joshua prophesied election postponement.
Uncategorized5 days ago
Finally, INEC Postpones 2019 election till Feb. 23