Uche Jombo, a Nollywood filmmaker, says she has been a victim of sexual assault during her early days in the Nigerian movie industry.
The 39-year-old actress made this disclosure in an interview with HipTV while speaking on the widespread allegations of sexual assault on upcoming actresses.
“I’ve been in that kind of situation twice during my starting days,” she said.
“I rehearsed for almost two weeks only to come next and find that someone else was reading my role because I declined the request to ‘see me’ (for sex).
“I wept seriously, I was hurt but four to five years later, I made it big.”
Explaining how she survived and maintained her stance at the time, Jombo said: “It is personal integrity. In my days, we move on when we’re denied opportunities for refusing to give in to sexual demands.
“Sometimes, it’s your individual strength, drive and process that matters. What takes some six months to accomplish might take others six years.
“Are you ready to wait for your time or you just want a shortcut that leads to no long-lasting opportunity? If you want the shortcut, chances are that there are people willing to give it.”
Jombo said people who engage in such acts should be called out explaining that this would force Nollywood recruiters and opportunity givers who indulge in such acts to “be humans again”.
Sexual harassment is a popular topic in Nollywood with Kanayo O. Kanayo, an actor in the industry, saying actresses call him every day to say they are being pressured to sleep with producers.
DSS Withdraws Invitation To INEC National Commissioner
With God, I can be bigger than Tiwa savage, Olamide, others — PROMISE
‘Buhari is showing his true colour with Death threats’ – Atiku
Application for the Tony Elumelu Foundation Entrepreneurship Programme closes March 1
PVC-Naija To Hold Seminar On Next Lagos Governor
Cover Of The Week
- Sixteenth UN - AU Joint Task Force on Peace and Security held in Addis Ababa February 18, 2019
- Ethiopia and Djibouti’s renewed resolve for cooperation and economic integration February 18, 2019
- UNHCR South Sudan Operational Update February 18, 2019
- An European Union (EU) road project in Eritrea February 18, 2019
- Zimbabwe: President Mnangagwa’s threats ‘deeply troubling’ February 18, 2019
- Countries urged to ratify labour conventions February 18, 2019
- Procter & Gamble announces newest commitment to gender equality across the Indian subcontinent, Middle East and Africa region at the #WeSeeEqual Summit February 18, 2019
- Africa: The Gambia's National Day February 18, 2019
- Speech by Shri R. Masakui, Ambassador of India to the Republic of Zimbabwe on the 70th Republic Day of India celebration February 18, 2019
- The Gambia's National Day (Statement by Michael R. Pompeo) February 18, 2019
Uncategorized4 days ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
celebrity radar - gossips1 week ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
celebrity radar - gossips3 days ago
How Prophet TB Joshua prophesied election postponement.
Uncategorized3 days ago
Finally, INEC Postpones 2019 election till Feb. 23