Uche Jombo, a Nollywood filmmaker, says she has been a victim of sexual assault during her early days in the Nigerian movie industry.
The 39-year-old actress made this disclosure in an interview with HipTV while speaking on the widespread allegations of sexual assault on upcoming actresses.
“I’ve been in that kind of situation twice during my starting days,” she said.
“I rehearsed for almost two weeks only to come next and find that someone else was reading my role because I declined the request to ‘see me’ (for sex).
“I wept seriously, I was hurt but four to five years later, I made it big.”
Explaining how she survived and maintained her stance at the time, Jombo said: “It is personal integrity. In my days, we move on when we’re denied opportunities for refusing to give in to sexual demands.
“Sometimes, it’s your individual strength, drive and process that matters. What takes some six months to accomplish might take others six years.
“Are you ready to wait for your time or you just want a shortcut that leads to no long-lasting opportunity? If you want the shortcut, chances are that there are people willing to give it.”
Jombo said people who engage in such acts should be called out explaining that this would force Nollywood recruiters and opportunity givers who indulge in such acts to “be humans again”.
Sexual harassment is a popular topic in Nollywood with Kanayo O. Kanayo, an actor in the industry, saying actresses call him every day to say they are being pressured to sleep with producers.
WED Show the largest wedding event of 2019 confirmed to hold at the Federal Palace Hotel
Obasanjo, experts meet on Population in Africa
Dbanj gifts producer multi-million naira brand new Range Rover SUV
‘We have raised over N1Million for Baba suwe’s treatment’ – Yomi Fabiyi
‘President Buhari’s death punishment for ballot snatchers is constitutional’ – Festus Keyamo
Cover Of The Week
- USD $1.5 million results-based grants for solar home system companies launched in Malawi to increase energy access February 20, 2019
- Visit of Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs David Hale to Cote d’Ivoire February 20, 2019
- Joint Statement on Escalating Conflict in South Sudan February 20, 2019
- Urgent support needed to respond to Humanitarian Needs in Cameroon February 20, 2019
- Invitation to a press conference with Said Djinnit, UN Special Envoy for the Great Lakes region February 20, 2019
- Secretary-General appoints Major General Zia Ur Rehman of Pakistan as Force Commander of the United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara February 20, 2019
- Climate research should inform development policies in Africa February 20, 2019
- Promoting cooperation on women, peace and security at country level and in multilateral organizations February 20, 2019
- Marriott Bonvoy kicks off Global Marketing Campaign to introduce New Travel Program February 20, 2019
- Annual Africa Shared Value Summit to be held in Nairobi February 20, 2019
Uncategorized5 days ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
celebrity radar - gossips1 week ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
celebrity radar - gossips5 days ago
How Prophet TB Joshua prophesied election postponement.
Uncategorized5 days ago
Finally, INEC Postpones 2019 election till Feb. 23