The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has debunked reports that the body was planning to postpone Saturday’s elections.
Presidential and National Assembly elections are scheduled to hold in few hours.
National Commissioner for Voter Education and Publicity at INEC, Mr. Festus Okoye, told DAILY POST Friday night that Nigerians should ignore the rumours.
His words: “If stories are flying about, allow the stories to fly. What they are reporting is not true.”
Asked to respond to information that INEC commissioners were in a meeting, Okoye said: “Yes we are in a meeting but we have not taken such decision.
“This is election period and as commissioners, we meet every time”.
Meanwhile, the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, said his camp had foiled a plan to rig the polls in favour of the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, President Muhammadu Buhari.
However, the recent development of INEC offices being set ablaze in Abia, Anambra, and Plateau states by ‘mysterious fire’, where thousands of electoral materials were burnt, could be major threat to the election.
Also, earlier on Friday, the commission in Niger State announced that elections for the senatorial positions of Niger East and Niger North may not hold on Saturday as the ballot papers meant for the zone were missing.
UBA Rewards 20 more Customers with N30m in Wise Savers Promo
Oba Olateru-Olagbegi: A patriot and astute custodian of cultural and traditional values – Obasanjo
Easter: Sanwo-Olu greets Christians, preaches love, selflessness
Breaking: Snakes chase Liberian President ‘George Weah’ away from his office
Ugandan Couple Arrested For Screaming During Sex, Land In Court
Cover Of The Week
- Madagascar beat Zim to earn Barthes Cup Promotion April 20, 2019
- Ethiopia Appoints New Defense and Foreign Ministers April 19, 2019
- Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on the death of Major General Francis Vib-Sanziri of Ghana, Head of Mission and Force Commander of the United Nations Disengagement Observation Force April 19, 2019
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Executive Board Approves US$118.2 Million Rapid Credit Facility Assistance to the Republic of Mozambique in the Wake of Cyclone Idai April 19, 2019
- More than 3,400 classrooms damaged or destroyed by Cyclone Idai in Mozambique, says UN Children’s Fund April 19, 2019
- Attack on International Rescue Committee (IRC) supported hospital in DRC leads to loss of life; IRC Ebola responders caught in violence April 19, 2019
- EU endeavours to bridge people through art April 19, 2019
- EURAFRICAN FORUM 2019: António Vitorino, Director General for the International Organization for Migrations – UN Migration Agency (IOM) confirmed to address about the migration dialogue between Europe and Africa April 19, 2019
- Rugby - Zambia: Bhubesi Pride Tours Zambia April 19, 2019
- Media Invitation To Group B U20 Barthés Cup Press Conference April 19, 2019
celebrity radar - gossips2 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Crime1 week ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
Sir Adebutu Kensington distances self from son’s APM move
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
BREAKING! 2018 YORUBA MOVIE GIST AWARDS NOMINEES LIST FINALLY OUT