Connect with us

society

Anxiety over Army chief Lagbaja’s health

Published

on

Anxiety over Army chief Lagbaja’s health

Anxiety over Army chief Lagbaja’s health

 

Indications have emerged that some Army generals are lobbying for the position of the Chief of the Army Staff (COAS), following reports that current COAS, Lieutenant General Taoreed Abiodun Lagbaja, is on admission at a foreign hospital undergoing treatment for a yet-to-be-disclosed health issue.

 

Army Headquarters (AHQ), through the spokesman, Major General Onyema Nwachukwu, responded to the reports, saying Lagbaja is on leave and that arrangements are in place to ensure there is no vacuum in his absence.

An online medium, Saharareporters, had reported that the Army chief, who was allegedly flown out over the undisclosed ailment, is incapacitated, as a result of the sickness.

The medium said Lagbaja’s health had taken a turn for the worse, and that “he is now bedridden and incapacitated due to his deteriorating condition”, noting that it is causing significant concerns within the military establishment.

“His health is seriously deteriorating and he is currently incapable. He is on a sick bed; he can’t hear what people are saying again, just like someone with hearing problems. We are praying for his quick recovery”, it quoted one of the sources as saying.

“So it’s a very serious illness but the Army authorities can never disclose it now. Even before this stage, General Lagbaja was prepared to resign because of the health challenge.”

Consequently, there are indications that some generals, particularly of the Regular 40 and 41 intakes, who are the next most senior officer cadre following those of 38 and 39 Regulars, have commenced underground lobbying of traditional rulers, NASS members, top politicians and even former heads of state for consideration for appointment as the next COAS.

Tongues started wagging about the whereabouts of Lagbaja after he was conspicuously absent at the October 1, 2024 independence anniversary celebrations held at the Presidential Villa, Aso Rock.

 

Since then, several other functions have taken place without his presence, including the burial ceremony organized for the late Major General Seidu Inaboya Musa, Director of Army Legal Services, at the National Military Cemetery where he was represented by the Chief of Policy and Plans, Major Gen Abdulsalami Bagudu Ibrahim.

 

The online medium had reported that Lagbaja was flown abroad by his family members following the “strange illness”.

Quoting a source, the medium said, “The Chief of Army Staff is nowhere to be found for many days now. He hasn’t been seen at the Army headquarters or any military function in the last three weeks.

“I can confirm to you that he is seriously sick and was taken to the hospital. However, his family members arranged for him to be moved out of the country for medical treatment”.

“The COAS is a leader and most of the Major Generals are doing anyhow because they have no one to report to currently.

 

 

“Anybody can fall sick but someone needs to be in charge. I wish him a very quick recovery, I have known him since our days in Makurdi, Benue State. We were both young officers then and he was a captain.”
Another source told the medium, “As military men, we were taught to be observant, so I noticed he was not at the October 1 Independence Day parade ground in Abuja. I asked my superiors including a general and I was told that he was out of the country. You know, it is unusual for him not to be around at that time.
“Also, the 2024 promotion list of soldiers which was completed a few weeks back is yet to be signed by the COAS. I was told that the Chief of Administration cannot do it because it will escalate the COAS’s absence. Some of my subordinates who are due for promotion are already grumbling.”

‘No Leadership Vacuum’

Meanwhile, AHQ said, yesterday, that Lagbaja is on leave and that all necessary protocols were in place for the Chief of Policy and Plans (Army), Major General Abdulsalami Bagudu Ibrahim, to act on his behalf, hence there is no vacuum in the force.

“This is not peculiar to the Nigerian Army as there have been instances where unforeseen human frailty kept service chiefs away for about three months, and their Chiefs of Policy and Plans held sway in their absence”, it said.

Major General Onyema Nwachukwu, Director of Army Public Relations, made this known in a statement titled, ‘Nigerian Army Operational and Administrative Activities on Course, Contrary to Insinuations in the Media Space.’ The statement read, “Recently, the media space, especially social media, has been awash with stories, rumours, and innuendoes about happenings in the Nigerian Army (NA).

 

 

“While some of these are laughable and deserve no further reference, others have bordered on pure mischief calculated to cause panic and confusion within the rank and file, as well as the general public.

“Specifically, many insinuations about personnel postings, promotions, and even training activities have been raised vis-a-vis the official leave of the Chief of Army Staff (COAS).

“There have even been insinuations that there is a leadership vacuum, with officers confused about what to do. Nothing can be farther from the truth.

“To be very clear, the Nigerian Army is a highly structured establishment with well-laid-out procedures and processes for dealing with different circumstances.

“Before proceeding on leave, necessary protocols were put in place for the Chief of Policy and Plans (Army), Major General Abdulsalami Bagudu Ibrahim, to act on behalf of the COAS, while he is away.

“This is not peculiar to the NA as there have been instances where unforeseen human frailty kept service chiefs away for about three months, and their Chiefs of Policy and Plans held sway in their absence.
“Claims of a leadership vacuum in the NA presently is, therefore, mere speculation, as all routine and scheduled activities of the Service are on course.

“Indeed, in line with its Forecast of Events for 2024, the Nigerian Army recently conducted the Captain-Major Practical Promotion Examination in Akure.

“Subsequently and in line with extant procedures, the Commander Training and Doctrine Command, Major General Kevin Aligbe, announced the result after due authorisation by the Chief of Policy and Plans (Army), who currently answers for the Chief of Army Staff in his absence on leave and medical checkup abroad.

“Additionally, the Master Warrant Officer to Army Warrant Officer Promotion Exercise is currently ongoing in Jos.

“This follows a similar exercise held for Warrant Officer to Master Warrant Officer (WO-MWO) in Kaduna.
“The results of these exercises are expected to be released in the coming days, pending final reconciliation between the respective Corps and the Army Headquarters Department of Personnel Management.

 

 

“Contrary to the insinuation that the absence of the COAS occasioned by his leave, has caused undue delay in the release of the result of the WO-MWO promotion exercise, the NA wishes to clarify that it has never been the practice for the COAS to sign postings or promotions for both officers and soldiers in the NA.
“The appropriate departmental chiefs perform these functions routinely.

“These Departmental Chiefs, demonstrating their unwavering commitment, are fully carrying out their responsibilities in line with the COAS Command Philosophy.

“The Army Headquarters, therefore, enjoins the general public to remain confident in the NA and be assured that the Service remains on top of the security situations in the country and is ever ready to defend Nigeria against any aggression on its land territory.

“Meanwhile, the Army Headquarters wishes to thank all well-meaning Nigerians who have shown genuine concern about Lt Gen TA Lagbaja and have continued to pray for him.

“The Army Headquarters assures Nigerians and the international community that all land-related training, operational, and administrative activities are on course and that the COPP (A) is firmly and effectively running the affairs of the Service pending the return of the COAS.”

 

Born on February 28, 1968, in Ilobu, Osun State, Lt. Gen Lagbaja was appointed by President Bola Tinubu in June 2023, as the 27th Chief of Army Staff.

He took office on June 23, 2023, replacing Faruk Yahaya as COAS.

The COAS reports to the Chief of the Defence Staff, who, in turn, reports to the Defence Minister, accountable to the President of Nigeria.

A seasoned operational officer, Lagbaja has held various command, staff, and instructional appointments.
His previous appointments include serving as the Chief of Staff, Theatre Command, Operation Lafia Dole, Director of Operations, Army Headquarters, General Officer Commanding at Headquarters 82 Division, GOC 1 Division and Chief of Operations, Army Headquarters.

 

 

news

GEN CHRISTOPHER GWABIN MUSA SUPPORT INITIATIVE COMMENDS STATE-FEDERAL COLLABORATION IN ZAMFARA

Published

on

GEN CHRISTOPHER GWABIN MUSA SUPPORT INITIATIVE COMMENDS STATE-FEDERAL COLLABORATION IN ZAMFARA

 

The Gen Christopher Gwabin Musa Support Initiative (GCGMSI) has commended the Zamfara State Government for its decisive contribution to security operations through the donation of newly acquired armoured personnel carriers (APCs), surveillance drones, and other critical operational equipment to troops and security agencies in the state.

 

This commendation was contained in a statement signed by the Convener of the GCGMSI, Ibrahim Dahiru Danfulani, Sadaukin Garkuwan Keffi/Betara Biu, and made available to the press.

 

The equipment was formally commissioned on Wednesday, February 18, by the Grand Patron of the GCGMSI and Minister of Defence, General Christopher Gwabin Musa, OFR (rtd.), in a ceremony at the Government House, Gusau. The event was attended by senior military officers, heads of security agencies, and top officials of the Zamfara State Government.

 

The GCGMSI, in its statement, hailed the donation as a “transformative and timely intervention” that aligns perfectly with its core objective of advocating for and supporting tangible measures that enhance the operational capacity and welfare of Nigeria’s security forces. The Initiative praised Governor Dauda Lawal’s administration for moving beyond rhetoric to actionable, material support, describing the move as a “blueprint for state-level collaboration in national security.”

 

“The provision of these assets by the Zamfara State Government is a testament to visionary leadership and a profound commitment to the peace and stability of its people,” the GCGMSI statement read. “It represents the exact kind of synergistic partnership between state and federal authorities that the GCGMSI champions. This initiative will significantly close operational gaps, boost the confidence of our gallant troops, and send a strong message to criminal elements.”

 

Speaking at the commissioning, General Musa emphasized that sustained collaboration is indispensable in confronting the nation’s evolving security challenges. He specifically commended Governor Lawal for his proactive support.

 

“Governor Dauda Lawal has demonstrated exemplary leadership and an unwavering dedication to the security of Zamfara State,” the Defence Minister stated. “The provision of these armoured vehicles, surveillance drones, and other operational equipment will undoubtedly boost the morale and operational effectiveness of our troops and other security agencies on the ground. This is a commendable effort that should be emulated by others.”

 

The newly commissioned assets, which include multiple APCs and advanced surveillance drones, are expected to dramatically enhance the mobility, protection, intelligence-gathering, and rapid response capabilities of security forces, particularly in the state’s remote and difficult terrains where anti-banditry operations are ongoing.

 

In his remarks, Governor Lawal reiterated his administration’s steadfast commitment to being a reliable partner in the security architecture. He urged security agencies to deploy the new resources responsibly and effectively to safeguard lives and property.

 

The Federal Government, through the Ministry of Defence, reaffirmed its commitment to continuing and deepening such partnerships with state governments across the nation to strengthen coordination and resource allocation in the collective fight against insecurity.

 

The GCGMSI concluded its statement by urging other state governments to take a cue from Zamfara’s “bold and pragmatic” approach, affirming that such concrete support is vital for achieving lasting peace and security across Nigeria.

Continue Reading

society

Governor Dauda Lawal Commissions 25 Armoured Personnel Carriers, Aerial Surveillance Drones to Combat Insecurity

Published

on

Governor Dauda Lawal Commissions 25 Armoured Personnel Carriers, Aerial Surveillance Drones to Combat Insecurity

Governor Dauda Lawal Commissions 25 Armoured Personnel Carriers, Aerial Surveillance Drones to Combat Insecurity

 

 

In a major boost to the fight against banditry and insecurity in Zamfara State and the North-West Zone, Zamfara State Governor, His Excellency, Dr Dauda Lawal, on Wednesday commissioned 25 new Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs) and sets of surveillance drones for the military and other security agencies operating in the state.

 

The event, which took place in Gusau, was part of the state government’s ongoing effort to provide structured logistical support to frontline security forces and combat insurgency, banditry, and protect lives and properties. Speaking at the commissioning and handover, Governor Lawal emphasised that the new assets are intended to enhance troop protection during high-risk deployments and improve rapid response capabilities in remote communities, ensuring tactical battle and overhead surveillance for victory.

Governor Dauda Lawal Commissions 25 Armoured Personnel Carriers, Aerial Surveillance Drones to Combat Insecurity

“We have provided over 600 specialised motorcycles, 150 Hilux vehicles, and 20 Buffalo vehicles to our security forces. These 25 highly sophisticated APCs being commissioned today are therefore part of a broader reform to improve response to security threats. The APC’s significantly improves troop protection during deployments into high-risk areas. They reduce vulnerability during patrols, support convoy security along major routes, and strengthen rapid response capability when distress calls arise from remote communities.” the Governor stated.

 

Governor Lawal explained that the security challenges of recent years had disrupted farming, limited trade, and undermined public confidence across the state. He noted that his administration’s “Rescue Mission” agenda has focused on moving from fragmented responses to structured reforms, including the establishment of a Zamfara State Security Trust Fund and the operationalisation of Community Protection Guards to improve grassroots intelligence.

 

The Governor specifically highlighted the importance of integrating modern technology into security operations. He noted that the newly acquired drones would expand aerial surveillance, improve situational awareness, and support better coordination between command centres and troops in the field.

 

“Real-time information strengthens decision-making and reduces operational blind spots,” he added.

 

Governor Lawal however acknowledged the critical role of the Federal Government under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, noting that recent federal budgets have allocated over three trillion naira to defence, a commitment he said strengthens subnational stabilisation efforts.

 

He urged the military commanders and personnel receiving the equipment to ensure disciplined maintenance and intelligence-guided deployment. “Enhancing your safety enhances the safety of our communities,” he told the troops.

 

Governor Lawal also told the people of Zamfara that; his administration remains resolute in restoring enduring security and peace across every Local Government Area. “We will sustain preventive measures, strengthen patrol architecture in rural corridors, deepen inter-state intelligence collaboration across the North-West, and maintain fiscal prudence in security expenditure. Stabilisation will continue through structured planning, lawful enforcement, and institutional reform.”

 

The Governor also linked the security investment to economic recovery, stressing that stability in rural areas is essential for agricultural productivity, market activity, and food security.

 

The event was attended by the Honourable Minister of Defence, General Christopher Musa (Rtd.), who formally commissioned the assets for operational service. Governor Lawal reaffirmed his administration’s resolve to sustain preventive measures and inter-state security collaboration until lasting peace is restored across all Local Government Areas in Zamfara.

Continue Reading

society

Ramadan, Lent: Ajadi Urges Religious Harmony, Prayers for Nigeria

Published

on

Ramadan, Lent: Ajadi Urges Religious Harmony, Prayers for Nigeria

 

A leading governorship aspirant of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Oyo State, Ambassador Olufemi Ajadi Oguntoyinbo, has extended warm felicitations to Muslims and Christians on the simultaneous commencement of Ramadan and Lent.

Ramadan, the Islamic holy month marked by 30 days of fasting and spiritual devotion, and Lent, the 40-day Christian season of fasting and reflection, began on the same day — a development Ajadi described as symbolic and spiritually significant.

In a statement personally signed by him on Wednesday, Ajadi congratulated adherents of both faiths and called for sustained religious tolerance, unity, and peaceful coexistence across the state and the country at large.

He described the coincidence in the commencement dates as a reminder of shared values between Islam and Christianity.

“The simultaneous commencement of Ramadan and Lent is a divine reminder that we all worship the same Almighty God. It is a call for unity, love, and mutual understanding among us,” he stated.

Ajadi urged Muslims and Christians to use the sacred periods of fasting and spiritual purification to pray fervently for Nigeria, especially in view of the nation’s economic and security challenges.

“Our country is facing significant hardship. The economic difficulties and prevailing insecurity require sincere prayers. This season of spiritual purification offers us a unique opportunity to seek God’s intervention for our nation,” he said.

He further emphasized that both Islam and Christianity preach peace, tolerance, and respect for constituted authority, urging citizens to embody these teachings in their daily lives.

“Let us live peacefully, tolerate one another, and continue to pray for those in leadership. Our faiths teach us to respect and uphold our leaders in prayer,” Ajadi added.

The PDP chieftain concluded by wishing Muslims a spiritually fulfilling Ramadan and Christians a reflective and enriching Lenten season, encouraging both communities to embrace love, sacrifice, and harmonious living throughout the sacred periods.

Continue Reading

Cover Of The Week

Trending