The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has shut down a food manufacturing company for allegedly revalidating expired curry and thyme spices.
According to a statement signed by the Resident Media Consultant to NAFDAC, Sayo Akintola, on February 7, operatives of the Investigation and Enforcement Directorate of NAFDAC stormed the main warehouse and factory of Every- Rose Limited, manufacturers of SomGeo brand of spices following a tip-off.
The operatives discovered large quantities of expired curry and thyme spices stored in the warehouse with packaging materials, labels as well as stamps that were being used to illegally revalidate the already expired products.
Records from NAFDAC shows that the company registered 16 different products for listing under the brand name SOMGEO, including SOMGEO Ginger Powder, SOMGEO Garlic Powder, SOMGEO Thyme Leaves and SOMGEO Mixed Spices Powder. The registration, however, expired on December 5, 2017.
The Director-General of NAFDAC, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, detested the act and also disclosed that the company would be heavily sanctioned for endangering public health.
She said the two locations visited were sealed and placed on hold, adding that the company staff found revalidating the products at the factory had been apprehended and taken to NAFDAC Investigation and Enforcement office for further investigation.
Adeyeye further stated that there was no more hiding place for unscrupulous manufacturers and marketers who had turned themselves to merchants of death to making illicit money by sending unsuspecting Nigerian consumers to their early graves through production and sale of falsified and revalidated expired products.
She said the agency would stop at nothing to track down the illicit merchants wherever they are within the country.
“We are ready to eliminate the incidence of falsified products in our markets or bring it down to the minimum to safeguard the health of our people,” she said.
Meanwhile, the owner of the now sealed factory, is still at large
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Kenya: COVID-19 Update (15 May 2021) May 16, 2021
- Coronavirus - Zimbabwe: COVID-19 update (15 May 2021) May 16, 2021
- Campenaerts 7th after impressive breakaway effort on stage 8 of Giro d'Italia May 16, 2021
- Coronavirus: African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases as of 15 May 2021, 9 am EAT May 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Rwanda: COVID-19 update (14 May 2021) May 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Namibia: COVID-19 update (14 May 2021) May 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Zambia: COVID-19 Statistics Daily Status Update (14 May 2021) May 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Nigeria: COVID-19 case update (14 May 2021) May 15, 2021
- Final day - B-roll: African rugby teams are coming together to prepare for the Olympic Games and Olympic Repechage - Final day May 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Zimbabwe: COVID-19 update (14 May 2021) May 15, 2021
Politics6 months ago
US SUPREME COURT DECISION CONFIRMS TB JOSHUA PROPHECY
religion5 months ago
Kidnapping In Aso Rock, CBN Governor Indictment, Death Of Governor, Others – Primate Ayodele Fearful 2021 Prophecies
celebrity radar - gossips4 months ago
Profile of New Chief of Army Staff Maj Gen Ibrahim Attahiru
Politics6 months ago
Will Primate Ayodele’s Warning To Joe Biden On US Election Come To Pass?