By Ifeoma Ikem
A front line right group, Joint Action Front (JAF), has concluded plans to embark on a mass protest across the country next week over the recent hike in fuel price and increase of the electricity tariff by the federal government.
The Secretary of the group, Comrade Abiodun Aremu, surrounded by representatives of different civil society organizations (CSO) in a media briefing said the protest would next week, Wednesday, 17th September, 2020.
They are calling on Nigerians to resist the hike in fuel price and electricity tariff.
According to him, the present regime led by President Mohammadu Buhari hiked petrol price in 2016 from N86 to N145 and now to N161.
The group also reject the capitalist policies of privatization and de- regulation which have created mass suffering for Nigerians.
Aremu, further lamented the activities of International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank which have created a lot problems for the economy.
Explaining further, he used the briefing to intimate the media that 18 members another human right group known as Socialist Party of Nigeria (SPN) were arrested and detained by the Police during a protest in Lagos on Thursday.
According to him the security agencies of the government cannot stop legitimate protest and therefore, the present regime should be cautioned.
Comrade Achike Chude, Deputy Chairman, Joint Action Front, criticised the government for the increase saying that the citizens are yet to recover from the effect of covid 19 pandemic.
Achike said that Nigerians are facing hardships, and finding it difficult to meet their daily needs adding that the increase was insensitive.
“The masses are managing to live, you are telling them to make sacrifices. What type of sacrifice do you what them to make if I may ask? Why is it that the refineries are not working? Why have other refineries not built in this country, he reiterated.
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Africa: WHO COVID-19 Africa Update 19.09.2020 September 19, 2020
- Coronavirus - Eswatini: COVID-19 Update (19 September 2020) September 19, 2020
- Coronavirus - Zimbabwe: COVID-19 Update (19 September 2020) September 19, 2020
- Coronavirus - South Africa: COVID-19 Update (19 September 2020) September 19, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: Expert panel endorses protocol for COVID-19 herbal medicine clinical trials September 19, 2020
- Coronavirus - Kenya: COVID-19 Update (19/09/2020) September 19, 2020
- Coronavirus - Eswatini: Minister of Health Lizzie Nkosi's COVID-19 update on 18 September 2020 September 19, 2020
- Coronavirus - Uganda: COVID-19 Breakdown of cases in Uganda as of (18 September 2020) September 19, 2020
- Coronavirus - Uganda: COVID-19 Update (18 September 2020) September 19, 2020
- Coronavirus - Malawi: UN Malawi COVID-19 Update Situation Update No. 27 September 19, 2020
celebrity radar - gossips2 weeks ago
Popular Yoruba Actor, Kanran Smiles Again, gets Car, Cash, Property Worth Millions (video)
Metro3 weeks ago
8 People killed in Edo over ₦100
Sports3 weeks ago
Prophet TB Joshua Speaks To Messi
celebrity radar - gossips3 weeks ago
BREAKING: Names of the Three Cabin Crew Revealed As Third Person Onboard Helicopter Crash Dies In Hospital