The Lagos State House of Assembly has described the eventual proscription of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (F-SARS) as proof that democracy has come to stay.
The House also commended President Muhammadu Buhari for hearkening to the cries of the people and ensuring their immediate wish was met with the disbandment of the police unit.
A statement from the office of the Speaker of the House and Chairman of the Conference of Speakers of State Legislatures, Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Obasa, thanked those who took to the streets in Lagos State for their civility while the protests lasted.
Obasa said it was commendable that the protesters carried out their agitations with utmost respect for the authorities as well as government and residents’ property and assets.
Recall that the Lagos State House of Assembly had on Friday raised a seven-point resolution one of which was that F-SARS be scrapped.
The state lawmakers had called for the introduction of a better reformed unit of the police.
They had also called on the National Assembly to immediately commence a probe into the allegation of inhuman treatments meted out to innocent Nigerians by the personnel of the police in the unit.
The Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Adamu, on Sunday, finally announced an end to F-SARS and added that other reforms would be announced soon.
“It is a win-win for the country and a proof that the President Muhammadu Buhari administration is prepared to listen to the yearnings of the people where it they matter.
“A special commendation goes to Nigerians who expressed their grievances peacefully for days.
“As the country awaits more police reforms as announced by the IGP, we plead with the masses to remain calm, go about their activities peacefully and continue to be good citizens of the country,” the statement said.
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Zimbabwe: COVID-19 update (14 May 2021) May 15, 2021
- Video News Release: Rugby Africa Sevens Solidarity Camp: All the matches will be livestreamed Saturday on Rugby Afrique Facebook page and Rugby Africa's YouTube channel - Day 4 May 15, 2021
- CORRECTION: New Hapag-Lloyd East Africa service arriving in Kenya and Tanzania May 14, 2021
- Day 3 - B-roll: African rugby teams are coming together to prepare for the Olympic Games and Olympic Repechage - Day 3 May 14, 2021
- Basketball Africa League Unveils Team Rosters Ahead of Inaugural Season May 14, 2021
- UN condemns killing of aid worker in South Sudan May 14, 2021
- Egypt receives second shipment of 1.77 million COVID-19 vaccines through the COVAX Facility May 14, 2021
- New Hapag-Lloyd East Africa service arriving in Kenya and Tanzania May 14, 2021
- Siemens, the German Government and the Solidarity Fund hand over a 100-bed modular hospital solution May 14, 2021
- Pozzovivo forced to withdraw from Giro d'Italia following stage 6 crash May 14, 2021
Politics6 months ago
US SUPREME COURT DECISION CONFIRMS TB JOSHUA PROPHECY
religion5 months ago
Kidnapping In Aso Rock, CBN Governor Indictment, Death Of Governor, Others – Primate Ayodele Fearful 2021 Prophecies
celebrity radar - gossips4 months ago
Profile of New Chief of Army Staff Maj Gen Ibrahim Attahiru
Politics6 months ago
Will Primate Ayodele’s Warning To Joe Biden On US Election Come To Pass?