society
Lawyers, CSOs kick as 2,412 protesters rot in detention
Lawyers, CSOs kick as 2,412 protesters rot in detention
Lawyers and civil society organisations, CSOs, yesterday, decried the continued detention and incarceration of #EndBadGovernance protesters two months after the August 1-10 protests across the country.
As of last night, most of the detained protesters are yet to be prosecuted, with minors among those held in captivity in Police, Department of State Service, DSS, facilities or prisons.
Although some minors, who were arrested during the protest, have been released on bail, others are in the process of being granted bail, Vanguard’s checks showed.
40 charged to court in Nasarawa
In Nasarawa State for instance, of the 50 protesters arrested, 10 minors have been freed, while 40 adults have been charged to court, according to Police PRO, DSP Ranhan Nansel.
109 arrested in Sokoto
In Sokoto where 109 protesters were arrested, Attorney-General of the state, Nasiru Binji, said a significant number had been released on bail, while the rest were in prison custody.
6 freed in Kaduna
Similarly, in Kaduna State, six of those arrested have been freed on the order of the Director-General of the DSS, Adeola Ajayi, while three others have been charged to court.
Details on 600 in Kano uncertain
The situation in Kano State is alarming, as no fewer than 600 protesters (including 76, who displayed Russian flags) were arrested and later transferred to Police Force headquarters in Abuja. While it was gathered that many of them have been charged to court and bailed, the number of those still in detention could not be ascertained at press time.
The Director of Public Prosecution, DPP in Kano State Ministry of Justice, Salisu Tahir, said they were still compiling the details.
390 await freedom in Jigawa
However, in Jigawa State, of the 419 protesters arrested, 390 have been arraigned in court, as 29 have been released, according to Police PRO DSP, Lawan Adam.
Unclear situation over 9 in Zamfara, 97 in Borno
In Zamfara, the Police PRO, Yazid Abubakar, said nine protesters had been charged to court, but said he does not know if they were detained or granted bail by the court.
In Borno, 97 protesters were arrested during the protest but their condition remains unclear at the time of this report.
In Yobe, of the 51 arrests made during the protest, 35 have been sent to Potiskum Prison, while the rest are being detained by the police. The minors among them, are to be freed on bail.
No freedom for 23 detainees in Niger
In Niger State, 23 persons were arrested, out of which six have been arraigned and sentenced to jail terms, while 17 are in police custody.
1,090 yet to be prosecuted in Abuja
In the Federal capital territory, FCT, Abuja, no fewer than 1,100 were arrested, but only 10 have been arraigned.
Additionally, the hundreds of Northern youths who brandished Russian flags during the protests have not been arraigned, neither has the tailor who mass-produced and distributed the flags.
Those on trial for participating in the protest are Michael Tobiloba Adaramoye, Adeyemi Abiodun Abayomi, Suleiman Yakubu, Comrade Opaluwa Eleojo Simon, Angel Love Innocent, Buhari Lawal, Mosiu Sadiq, Bashir Bello, Nurudeen Khamis and Abduldalam Zubair.
Trial Justice Emeka Nwite remanded the defendants in prison custody, pending the perfection of their bail conditions.
51 freed in Plateau
The 51 protesters who were arrested in Plateau State for breaching the law on curfew but not on hunger strike, have all been freed.
There were, however, no arrests in Benue, Taraba, Kebbi, Adamawa, Kwara and Kogi states, as many of the states adopted some strategies to prevent their citizens from joining the protests.
@VANGUARD
society
Governor Dauda Lawal Commissions 25 Armoured Personnel Carriers, Aerial Surveillance Drones to Combat Insecurity
Governor Dauda Lawal Commissions 25 Armoured Personnel Carriers, Aerial Surveillance Drones to Combat Insecurity
In a major boost to the fight against banditry and insecurity in Zamfara State and the North-West Zone, Zamfara State Governor, His Excellency, Dr Dauda Lawal, on Wednesday commissioned 25 new Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs) and sets of surveillance drones for the military and other security agencies operating in the state.
The event, which took place in Gusau, was part of the state government’s ongoing effort to provide structured logistical support to frontline security forces and combat insurgency, banditry, and protect lives and properties. Speaking at the commissioning and handover, Governor Lawal emphasised that the new assets are intended to enhance troop protection during high-risk deployments and improve rapid response capabilities in remote communities, ensuring tactical battle and overhead surveillance for victory.
“We have provided over 600 specialised motorcycles, 150 Hilux vehicles, and 20 Buffalo vehicles to our security forces. These 25 highly sophisticated APCs being commissioned today are therefore part of a broader reform to improve response to security threats. The APC’s significantly improves troop protection during deployments into high-risk areas. They reduce vulnerability during patrols, support convoy security along major routes, and strengthen rapid response capability when distress calls arise from remote communities.” the Governor stated.
Governor Lawal explained that the security challenges of recent years had disrupted farming, limited trade, and undermined public confidence across the state. He noted that his administration’s “Rescue Mission” agenda has focused on moving from fragmented responses to structured reforms, including the establishment of a Zamfara State Security Trust Fund and the operationalisation of Community Protection Guards to improve grassroots intelligence.
The Governor specifically highlighted the importance of integrating modern technology into security operations. He noted that the newly acquired drones would expand aerial surveillance, improve situational awareness, and support better coordination between command centres and troops in the field.
“Real-time information strengthens decision-making and reduces operational blind spots,” he added.
Governor Lawal however acknowledged the critical role of the Federal Government under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, noting that recent federal budgets have allocated over three trillion naira to defence, a commitment he said strengthens subnational stabilisation efforts.
He urged the military commanders and personnel receiving the equipment to ensure disciplined maintenance and intelligence-guided deployment. “Enhancing your safety enhances the safety of our communities,” he told the troops.
Governor Lawal also told the people of Zamfara that; his administration remains resolute in restoring enduring security and peace across every Local Government Area. “We will sustain preventive measures, strengthen patrol architecture in rural corridors, deepen inter-state intelligence collaboration across the North-West, and maintain fiscal prudence in security expenditure. Stabilisation will continue through structured planning, lawful enforcement, and institutional reform.”
The Governor also linked the security investment to economic recovery, stressing that stability in rural areas is essential for agricultural productivity, market activity, and food security.
The event was attended by the Honourable Minister of Defence, General Christopher Musa (Rtd.), who formally commissioned the assets for operational service. Governor Lawal reaffirmed his administration’s resolve to sustain preventive measures and inter-state security collaboration until lasting peace is restored across all Local Government Areas in Zamfara.
society
Ramadan, Lent: Ajadi Urges Religious Harmony, Prayers for Nigeria
Ramadan, Lent: Ajadi Urges Religious Harmony, Prayers for Nigeria
A leading governorship aspirant of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Oyo State, Ambassador Olufemi Ajadi Oguntoyinbo, has extended warm felicitations to Muslims and Christians on the simultaneous commencement of Ramadan and Lent.
Ramadan, the Islamic holy month marked by 30 days of fasting and spiritual devotion, and Lent, the 40-day Christian season of fasting and reflection, began on the same day — a development Ajadi described as symbolic and spiritually significant.
In a statement personally signed by him on Wednesday, Ajadi congratulated adherents of both faiths and called for sustained religious tolerance, unity, and peaceful coexistence across the state and the country at large.
He described the coincidence in the commencement dates as a reminder of shared values between Islam and Christianity.
“The simultaneous commencement of Ramadan and Lent is a divine reminder that we all worship the same Almighty God. It is a call for unity, love, and mutual understanding among us,” he stated.
Ajadi urged Muslims and Christians to use the sacred periods of fasting and spiritual purification to pray fervently for Nigeria, especially in view of the nation’s economic and security challenges.
“Our country is facing significant hardship. The economic difficulties and prevailing insecurity require sincere prayers. This season of spiritual purification offers us a unique opportunity to seek God’s intervention for our nation,” he said.
He further emphasized that both Islam and Christianity preach peace, tolerance, and respect for constituted authority, urging citizens to embody these teachings in their daily lives.
“Let us live peacefully, tolerate one another, and continue to pray for those in leadership. Our faiths teach us to respect and uphold our leaders in prayer,” Ajadi added.
The PDP chieftain concluded by wishing Muslims a spiritually fulfilling Ramadan and Christians a reflective and enriching Lenten season, encouraging both communities to embrace love, sacrifice, and harmonious living throughout the sacred periods.
society
Tinubu Seeks Nigerians Forgiveness During Ramadan, Calls for National Reconciliation
Tinubu Seeks Nigerians Forgiveness During Ramadan, Calls for National Reconciliation
By George Omagbemi Sylvester | Published by SaharaWeeklyNG
“At State House Tafsir in Abuja, President urges unity, tolerance, and prayers for stability as he reaffirms commitment to tackling Nigeria’s economic and security challenges.”
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has appealed to Nigerians for forgiveness over any perceived wrongdoing, urging citizens to embrace reconciliation and unity during the holy month of Ramadan.
Speaking during a Ramadan Tafsir held at the State House in Abuja, the President said, “If I have sinned against you, forgive me as Nigerians,” stressing the importance of forgiveness, tolerance, and national cohesion.
Tinubu noted that Ramadan represents a period of spiritual reflection, self-discipline, and compassion, calling on Nigerians to use the season to promote peace and mutual understanding across religious and ethnic divides.
The President also encouraged citizens to pray for the nation’s stability and progress, reaffirming his administration’s commitment to addressing economic and security challenges facing the country.
The Ramadan Tafsir, an annual religious gathering attended by government officials, Islamic scholars, and dignitaries, forms part of activities marking the fasting period observed by Muslims worldwide.
-
celebrity radar - gossips6 months agoWhy Babangida’s Hilltop Home Became Nigeria’s Political “Mecca”
-
society6 months agoPower is a Loan, Not a Possession: The Sacred Duty of Planting People
-
society5 months agoReligion: Africa’s Oldest Weapon of Enslavement and the Forgotten Truth
-
news6 months agoTHE APPOINTMENT OF WASIU AYINDE BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AS AN AMBASSADOR SOUNDS EMBARRASSING

