Connect with us

society

Obasanjo, Soglo others push for AU’s adoption of African Day of Slavery and Slave Trade . Express concern over delay in ECOWAS single currency implementation

Published

on

Obasanjo,

Former Nigerian President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo and his Beninese counterpart, former President Nicephore Soglo have resolved to push for the adoption of an annual work-free day to celebrate history of slavery and slave trade in the African continent.

The two former African President’s also reiterated the call for adoption of a single currency for the ECOWAS states to boost socio-economic and cultural developments in the African sub-region.

Speaking at a special meeting held in Cotonou, Republic of Benin on Wednesday, Obasanjo said the parley was a follow-up to the conference on peace, security and stability in Africa held in Tokyo, Japan last month.

According to a release by Obasanjo’s Special Assistant (Media), Kehinde Akinyemi, Obasanjo said the move for the recognition of a day of slavery and slave trade in Africa could best be described as a “passionate move”, which should be pursued in order to avoid the mistakes of the past.

He emphasized that the passion on not forgetting the history of Africa’s slavery as expressed by Soglo during the Japan’s meeting, “is the most pernicious and I have decided to work hard with those who share our sentiments on the issue.

“I shared in this passion, which is with a bit of agony, and I shared both of them with President Soglo, hence my coming here to Cotonou, and rub minds together and take it up from the there and take it to our leaders at the AU and the UN, which is the global body,” he said.

Obasanjo further emphasized that the issue of slavery and slave trade in Africa was all about history, which should not be allowed to fade away.

“While the past is the past, we may not forget that past, because if we forget the past, the chances are that we may repeat the mistakes of the past. So we agreed that after this meeting, we can for a start, take our position to the AU to push for a day to be called “Africa Remembrance Day of Slavery and Slave Trade”.

The former chairman of the African Union explained further that Slavery and colonialism both have implication on the development of the continent, “as such, the new drive now, is an indication that as past leaders, God have kept us to be alive because, we still have unfinished job to complete for this continent.

“We will be shirking in our responsibility. We will not be performing our duty if we fold our arms and say, well, we have done our own, as we were former Presidents and there is nothing we can do than to sit and watch. If we do that, I wonder if God we be happy with us. I really wonder.”

On the issue of integration and monetary union in ECOWAS, Obasanjo expressed concern over the yet to be implemented single currency for the region, stressing that leaders of the region should be persuaded to so, to better the lot of trade in the area.

“It is our responsibility to call on our leaders in West Africa to come up with our one currency. They have already taken the decision in Togo, the headquarters of our region, so, what is happening? We should ask them. We should tell them that enough is enough.

“I should be able to leave Abeokuta on a Sunday, come to Cotonou and have lunch and return without any hindrance. At Idiroko this morning, I have to submit my passport for entry, but, should this be so?

“If colonialism made it so about 50 years ago, should we still continue to do it in this century and age? Obasanjo queried.

He submitted that the use of single currency “will help to trade better within ourselves. If their are others who does not want us to trade with a single currency, we should also stop trading into their hands, if they are not ready to support us in his direction.”

In his opening remarks, Soglo recalled that at the session in Japan, he was constrained to call the attention of Obasanjo to the issue of slavery, “and, I must thank President Obasanjo for joining in this cause of not forgetting our history.”

The former Beninese President who went down memory lane on history of slavery and slave trade in Africa lamented that it was unfortunate that century after the practice, some parts of the continent still engage in the inhuman trade.

Also, a former president of the country, Boni Yayi share these positions, assuring that supports would be given to actualize the dreams of the two great African leaders.

Obasanjo was joined at the session by the Deputy Chief Co-ordinator (DCC), Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL), Director, Centre for Human Security and Dialogue of the OOPL, Prof. Peter Okebukola, Dr. Olumide Ajayi, Mr. Olakunle Somorin, Otunba Fasawe and Special Assistant Media, Kehinde Akinyemi.

Thanks for the usual kind support.

Kehinde Akinyemi
Special Assistant Media.

. Former Nigerian President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo presenting a commemorative brochure of the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL), to former President of Republic of Benin, Nicephore Soglo during his visit on Wednesday.

Former President of Republic of Benin, Nicephore Soglo, embracing former Nigerian President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo upon arrival in Cotonou during his visit on Wednesday.

Former President of Nigeria, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo (third from right), former President of Republic of Benin, Boni Yayi (second from right) and Nigerian Ambassador to Republic of Benin, Mr. Kayode Oguntuashe and former President of Republic of Benin, Nicephore Soglo (besides Obasanjo on the immediate left) and other dignitaries after the meeting aimed at having an African Day of Slavery and Slave Trade held in Cotonou on Wednesday.

Sahara weekly online is published by First Sahara weekly international. contact saharaweekly@yahoo.com

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Politics

Pro-democracy group tells Tinubu to declare a state of emergency in Zamfara over insecurity, political repression

Published

on

Pro-democracy group tells Tinubu to declare state of emergency in Zamfara over insecurity, political repression

Pro-democracy group tells Tinubu to declare a state of emergency in Zamfara over insecurity, political repression

 

 

 

The United Democratic Coalition (UDC) has called on President Bola Tinubu to immediately declare a state of emergency in Zamfara, citing worsening insecurity and a breakdown of democratic order in the state.

 

Pro-democracy group tells Tinubu to declare state of emergency in Zamfara over insecurity, political repression

 

The demand was contained in a statement on Friday signed by Abdulrahman Danladi, president of the coalition.

 

Danladi described Zamfara as “a state under siege,” accusing the state government of abandoning its constitutional duty to protect lives and uphold democratic principles.

 

“The situation in Zamfara has gone from troubling to terrifying. Armed groups operate freely, citizens are at the mercy of bandits, and yet those elected to speak up are being silenced,” the statement read.

 

He was referring to the recent suspension of 10 lawmakers in the Zamfara State House of Assembly, whom he said were punished for raising concerns about insecurity and illegal mining in their constituencies.

 

“What we are witnessing is not just lawlessness — it is executive tyranny. These lawmakers were elected by the people and have a duty to speak out. Instead of listening to them, the state assembly, clearly acting on orders, has shut them down,” Danladi said.

 

He likened the political tension in Zamfara to the recent situation in Rivers state, where Governor Siminalayi Fubara governed with just four lawmakers after a split in the House of Assembly — a scenario that prompted calls for federal intervention.

 

“If Rivers with four lawmakers sparked talks of emergency rule, how is Zamfara with 10 suspended lawmakers and spiraling violence, not a national concern?” Danladi asked.

 

“The same standard must apply. Democracy is being murdered in Zamfara in broad daylight. If the federal government could consider intervening in Rivers, it must not turn a blind eye to the breakdown in Zamfara.”

 

“We are calling for a six-month state of emergency in Zamfara to allow security forces to take control, restore peace, and return the state to constitutional order.”

 

The group also demanded the immediate reinstatement of the suspended lawmakers and an investigation into what it called “executive interference” in the legislature.

 

“This is not the time for political correctness. It is the time for leadership. The people of Zamfara are under siege — both by bandits and by those who should be protecting them,” the statement added.

 

Zamfara, one of Nigeria’s most troubled states, continues to face persistent attacks from armed groups, with thousands displaced and dozens killed in the past year alone.

Continue Reading

society

Ariya247 Exclusive : I Got Inspired Through Prayers, Says Ugochukwu Obi

Published

on

Ariya247 Exclusive : I Got Inspired Through Prayers, Says Ugochukwu Obi

Ugochukwu Innocent Obi was born into the family of Obi Okereke, originally from Uhuolugho Ngodo Isuochi in Umunneochi Local Government Area, Abia State, Nigeria. He was born in Ibeku, Umuahia, Abia State, and later moved to Lagos, where he spent a significant part of his early life.

In 2010, he relocated to the United States to further his career in government contracting, earning multiple certifications in the field. Currently, Mr. Obi is a contracting professional for the U.S. Department of Defense, as well as a preacher, author, and gospel artist.

His faith journey began in 1995 when he became born again, leading him to serve in pastoral roles across various countries. As a gospel artist, he has released several songs, including You Alone, Holy One, Elohim, Let Me See You, Let It Flow, The Light of Your Presence, Arise from the Wings, Spirit of the Living God, and I Give You Praise.

Speaking on his inspiration for gospel music, Mr. Obi shares, “My motivation comes from God. Whenever I pray, I hear the sounds of heavenly music and find myself singing new songs. My desire is to bring these divine melodies to life here on earth.”

Continue Reading

society

Lagos in Chaos: Bridge Closure Sparks Deadly Gridlock, Leaving Commuters Stranded for Hours

Published

on

Lagos in Chaos: Bridge Closure Sparks Deadly Gridlock, Leaving Commuters Stranded for Hours

Lagos in Chaos: Bridge Closure Sparks Deadly Gridlock, Leaving Commuters Stranded for Hours

Lagos, Nigeria – A traffic nightmare unfolded in Lagos on Wednesday, leaving thousands of commuters stranded for hours as the Independence Bridge closure in Falomo triggered an unprecedented gridlock across the city. The situation spiraled into tragedy, with reports of a seven-year-old boy dying in traffic after failing to reach the hospital on time, and a 70-year-old woman hospitalized after falling into a manhole while trekking to escape the congestion.

City in Gridlock: A Commute from Hell

What started as a routine road closure for bridge maintenance quickly descended into chaos, as Lagosians found themselves trapped in endless traffic stretching across Victoria Island, Ikoyi, and Lekki. Stranded motorists blasted the government for poor planning, with some spending over ten hours on the road while others were forced to trek miles to reach their destinations.

In viral videos flooding social media, frustrated commuters vented their anger, calling the gridlock a disaster in the making.

“Welcome to Lagos! I spent four hours just trying to move a few kilometers. This city is unlivable!” lamented an X user, Chris Ejiofor.

Another commuter, Dr. Lakinbofa Goodluck, shared a distressing story of a friend who nearly collapsed from ulcer complications due to the prolonged stay in traffic, barely surviving thanks to an emergency food delivery from colleagues.

Tragedy Strikes: Death and Injury Amid the Standstill

While many cursed their luck in the excruciating gridlock, others faced unimaginable heartbreak.

A seven-year-old boy lost his life, unable to reach the hospital in time because the car carrying him was stuck for hours in traffic.

“The boy had been referred to a private hospital, but they couldn’t move because of the congestion. By the time they got out, it was too late,” a source close to the family revealed.

In another grim incident, a septuagenarian who had spent hours in traffic decided to trek home—only to fall into a hidden manhole, leaving her with severe injuries requiring multiple surgeries. Her family, still in shock, had been preparing to celebrate her 70th birthday this Sunday.

“We were planning a grand birthday for her. Now she’s in the hospital instead, fighting for her life,” her relative, Tosin Kassim, said.

Government Scrambles for Damage Control

As public outrage mounted, Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu rushed to the site on Thursday, apologizing for the disruptions and admitting that the situation had spiraled beyond expectations.

“We understand the hardship this has caused Lagosians, but the bridge’s structural integrity was failing. Immediate repairs were necessary to avoid a disaster,” Sanwo-Olu explained.

Meanwhile, Federal Controller of Works, Olukorede Kesha, announced plans to reopen the bridge partially, revealing that engineers were racing against time to complete emergency work by Friday.

However, critics slammed the government for poor planning and lack of proactive measures, with popular TV anchor Rufai Oseni calling the situation “a joke of a leadership failure.”

Lagosians Left to Fend for Themselves

With no immediate relief in sight, Lagosians braced for more traffic horror in the coming weeks, as the bridge closure is expected to last until May 2025.

For now, residents are left with two options: battle the chaos or find alternative routes—if they exist at all.

Continue Reading

Cover Of The Week

Trending