EbonyLife Films’ Chief Daddy closed its 2018 record-breaking run with an astounding N235,469,368 – the highest box-office total for a Nigerian film in 2018 and the third-highest-grossing Nollywood movie of all time.The Niyi Akinmolayan film overtook King of Boys and squeezed past Merry Men, the 5th and 4th on the list of highest-grossing films, and into third place behind The Wedding Party and The Wedding Party 2. This amazing feat makes EbonyLife Films a producer of all three movies at the top of the all-time box office chart.
The emergence of Chief Daddy capped the end of a remarkable year for Nollywood, despite a slow start, in which three films went beyond the N200 million barrier, a feat only achieved by the Wedding Party movies in 2016 and 2017. Ayodeji ‘AY’ Makun had his biggest hit to date with the dramatic comedy, Merry Men, that posted N235.2 million by the end of its run. Kemi Adetiba’s King of Boys was the second big Nollywood movie of 2018, scoring over N220 million. Also, it was a landmark year for Niyi Akinmolayan, who directed two films,The Wedding Party 2 and Chief Daddy, that gained no.1 status in the same year.
One interesting aspect of Chief Daddy’s performance over the holidays was that, despite Aquaman posting higher revenues due to higher ticket prices for its 3D and IMAX screenings, many more viewers went to seeChief Daddy, making it the most-watched movie for the season.
The Niyi Akinmolayan film opened in cinemas on Friday, December 14th and has maintained the number oneposition for local movies since then, despite competing with a strong lineup of holiday releases. And Chief Daddy is off to a bright start for 2019, with revenues over N14 million on New Year’s Day, taking it to N250,260,945 in total.
Moses Babatope, COO of FilmOne Distribution is pleased with the film’s performance. “Our overall goal forChief Daddy was N200 million, given the glut of releases on the December schedule, but it reached the target in just 16 days. It has exceeded our expectations, making it one of a handful of films that have made 2018 an outstanding year for Nollywood.”
Mo Abudu, Executive Producer, is excited about her film’s trajectory. “We knew Chief Daddy would do well but it has outperformed our projections. It’s a little reminiscent of the early days of The Wedding Party, when all the shows were selling out but we had no idea how far the film would go. I have to give credit to our amazing cast, who gave so much time and energy to meeting fans at cinemas all over Nigeria and in Accra – we couldn’t have done this without them.”
Chief Daddy is still showing in cinemas across Nigeria and at Silverbird cinemas in Accra, Ghana.
Yike releases new single ‘Holy Water’
8 trailer load of rice, 23 vehicles, others intercepted by Seme command
Video: Police arrest Don Jazzy’s boys DNA twins in Lekki
Photos Of New Boeing 777-300 Aircraft ‘Anuli Peggy Onyema’ Acquired By Air Peace
ChinneyLove Eze Hosts Celebrities to Pre-Release Party of ‘Hire A Woman’ Movie (Exclusive Pictures)
Cover Of The Week
- Dr Jackie King wins prestigious Stockholm Water Prize March 21, 2019
- African countries can do better with improved fiscal policy, says Songwe March 21, 2019
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Executive Board Completes the Last Review of Extended Credit Facility for Ghana March 21, 2019
- Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities reviews the Report of Senegal March 21, 2019
- WHO sending urgent health assistance after Cyclone Idai displaces thousands of people in Southern Africa March 20, 2019
- Africa Climate Week Signals Continent’s Huge Investment Opportunity March 20, 2019
- Cyclone Idai: UN allocates $20 million in emergency funding, as full extent of disaster continues to emerge March 20, 2019
- FAO and Ministry of Agriculture Formulating Future Scenarios 2050 of Livestock Production Systems March 20, 2019
- UK to provide extra £12 million in UK aid for survivors of Cyclone Idai March 20, 2019
- South Sudan’s Ministry of Petroleum Encourages Refiners and Traders to Take Part in Upcoming Crude Tenders March 20, 2019
Uncategorized1 month ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
celebrity radar - gossips2 weeks ago
Sir Adebutu Kensington distances self from son’s APM move
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized3 weeks ago
‘I haven’t decamped to APC’ – Titi Oseni debunks rumours