Connect with us
Advertisment

society

$6 million fake notes intercepted by Seme Custom, bursts international passport syndicate

Published

on

NGO RAISES ALARM ON DEPLETION OF ACCOUNTS OF NIGERIA CUSTOMS SERVICE

$6 million fake notes intercepted by Seme Custom, bursts international passport syndicate
… Arrest 4 suspects

By Ifeoma Ikem

 

Advertisment

 

 

Advertisment

 

Seme Border Command of the Nigeria Customs Service, NCS has intercepted fake Six million United States Dollars ($6,000,000) note at Gbagi checkpoint along the Seme corridor.

 

Advertisement

 

 

 

 

The Officers on patrol along Gbetrome base intercepted Six (6) Maltese International Passports with the same picture of a lady but bearing different names, Two (2) Senegalese International Passports , Three (3 ) Togolese International Passports, Four (4) Republic of Benin International Passports, One (1) Republic of Niger International Passport and Ten (10) International Driving License of these various countries.

 

Customs Area Controller of the command, Comptroller Dera Nnadi who disclosed this in a press briefing at Seme observed that the fake Dollar notes equivalent to N2.763 billion at exchange rate of N460.52 were intercepted on Monday 31st January, 2023.

He further disclosed that two male suspects conveying the fake currency from Nigeria to the Republic of Benin were arrested in connection with the crime and were currently in their custody pending prosecution. He also said that two male suspects arrested in connection with the international passport and International Drivers license racketeering were also in their custody pending further investigation.

 

According to him, the command also intercepted and seized 1,300 by 30 liters jerry can of PMS equivalent 39,000 liters, roughly over one fuel tanker of PMS with Duty Paid Value of N9,366.45 only adding that the products were seized along the creeks. Other items seized included 55 sacks containing 550 pieces of donkey skin with Duty Paid Value of N11,371,511.

“The significant of the seizure is that it shows how much our endanger species are being eroded by unpatriotic elements”, he said.

On ECOWAS Trade Liberalization Scheme, ETLS, the Controller informed that 70 trucks with fees amounting to N1,414,665.01 were collected noting that there were 81 baggage declarations with duty amounting to N 4,520,722 even as he explained that the items imported under this arrangement included food products and beverages produced within the sub-region.

 

On import and export, he said, “The command reordered only 5 declarations of import within this period with a total of N13,383,104 paid as duty. The dearth in import is as a result of the trade policy introduced by Republic of Benin which traders and indeed, the Service consider hostile to Nigeria. 122 trucks bearing 3,770.49 metric tons of made in Nigeria cargo with Free On Board value of N523,660,496.80 kobo and National Export Supervision Scheme Fees of N2,618,302.10K.

“It is important to note that the 2022 fiscal Policy Measures by the Federal Ministry of Finance lifted the ban on export of goods imported into Nigeria hitherto prohibited under item 8 Schedule 6 of the Common External Tariff. However, this is subject to the exporters obtaining approval from the Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning and payment of 2.5 percent export surcharge of the present value of the goods.

 

“The traders are yet to take full advantage of this gesture and we call on them to optimize the opportunities offered by the policy.”

Nnadi, pointed out that other source of revenue for the command are fees collected from the auction sales of seized items especially petroleum products and other perishable items.

While maintaining that these achievements (progress) so far, were not made on a platter of gold, the Controller added that i took the painstaking efforts of the officers who spend hours on patrol and surveillance to record the seizures even as he reiterated that the command would not relent on this effort.

 

Comptroller Nnadi assured that the command would continue to dialogue, engage, sensitize and educate the public on social/economic implication of smuggling as well as performing statutory function of enforcing compliance in line with government fiscal policies, however, appealed to parents and guardians residing in border communities to prevail on their children, wards and youths to desist from such criminal acts such as smuggling.

Advertisment

society

Eko Cares: Group Commends Sanwo-Olu’s Compassionate Leadership On Social Interventions

Published

on

Eko Cares: Group Commends Sanwo-Olu’s Compassionate Leadership On Social Interventions

 

Advertisment

 

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State has garnered praise from The Mandate Movement for his decisive actions in the face of economic challenges with the launch of the ‘Eko Cares’ initiative. The initiative, aimed at alleviating the hardships faced by residents, particularly the economically vulnerable, has been lauded as a significant step towards improving livelihoods in the state.

Advertisment

 

 

 

Advertisement

The Chairman of The Mandate Movement, Abdullahi Ayinde Enilolobo, conveyed his gratitude to Governor Sanwo-Olu through a member of the group’s Central Working Committee (CWC), Prince Adewale Arogundade, for spearheading various interventions aimed at mitigating the adverse effects of inflationary trends. A total of 300,000 households are expected to benefit from the inaugural program.

According to Enilolobo, “This holistic approach shows Governor Sanwo-Olu’s commitment to addressing the multifaceted challenges facing Lagosians and ensuring that no one is left behind in the pursuit of progress. Additionally, measures such as free ante-natal care, reduced transportation fares, and support for small businesses underscore the government’s dedication to improving the quality of life for all residents.

“We at The Mandate Movement commend Governor Sanwo-Olu for this initiative put together for the residents of Lagos, which also collorates with the wonders of the Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu-led administration. This clearly shows that the All Progressive Congress (APC) remains a beacon of hope for Lagosians, and Nigerians at large.”

Residents across Lagos have begun to laud the ‘Eko Cares’ initiative, stating that the government has shown determination to prioritize the well-being of its citizens, embodying the principles of empathy, inclusivity, and resilience in the face of adversity.

 

Eko Cares: Group Commends Sanwo-Olu's Compassionate Leadership On Social Interventions

Advertisment
Continue Reading

society

An Icon of Service: NATCOM boss, Otunba Adejare Adegbenro’s Leadership Legacy

Published

on

An Icon of Service: NATCOM boss, Otunba Adejare Adegbenro's Leadership Legacy

An Icon of Service: NATCOM boss, Otunba Adejare Adegbenro’s Leadership Legacy

 

Advertisment

 

In the intricate mosaic of Nigeria’s societal fabric, Otunba Adejare Adegbenro stands as a beacon of commitment, resilience, and service.

Advertisment

Born on March 6th, 1973, in Lagos, he draws from a lineage steeped in political legacy, being the grandson of the late Premier of Western Region, Alhaji Daudu Sooroye Adegbenro. Raised in a family that values service to the community, Otunba Adegbenro has carved his path as a distinguished figure in Nigerian society.

The culmination of his familial heritage and dedication to community service was marked by his installation as the first Otunba Laje of Owu Kingdom in Ogun State, Southwest Nigeria.

This historic event, which took place on January 20th, 2018, under the auspices of His Royal Majesty Oba Olusanya Dosunmu II, traditional ruler of Owu kingdom, reinforced Otunba Adegbenro’s deep-rooted ties to his cultural heritage and commitment to uplifting his people.

Advertisement

Beyond his traditional titles, his influence extends globally, with his appointment as High Commissioner by the International Human Rights Commission (IHRC), where he spearheads foreign special missions aimed at preventing illegal migration and human trafficking. This appointment is a testament of his reputation as a renowned security expert and industrialist, whose expertise transcends national borders.

In his role as the acting Director-General of the National Commission against the Proliferation of Arms, Light Weapons, and Pipeline Vandalism (NATCOM), Otunba Adegbenro has demonstrated a steadfast commitment to combating threats to national security. His vast experience in security consultancy and supply of security gadgets has positioned him as a pivotal figure in Nigeria’s security landscape.

However, Otunba Laje of Owu Kingdom’s contributions extend beyond the realm of security.

Through his foundation, the Otunba Adejare Adegbenro Foundation (OAAF), he channels his resources towards uplifting the less privileged in society. With initiatives ranging from the provision of boreholes to communities lacking access to clean water, to scholarships for deserving students, he exemplifies the spirit of philanthropy and communal solidarity.

Reflecting on his journey, Otunba Adegbenro once acknowledged the challenges he has faced, from navigating the complexities of entrepreneurship to confronting societal stereotypes.

Yet, through it all, he remains resolute in his commitment to service and upliftment. His philosophy, rooted in faith and compassion, drives him to make a tangible difference in the lives of others, regardless of obstacles encountered along the way.

Otunba Adejare Adegbenro stands as a testament to the power of leadership, resilience, and unwavering dedication to the common good. In him, Nigerians find not only a visionary leader but a compassionate steward of progress, whose impact reverberates far beyond the shores of his homeland.

 

An Icon of Service: NATCOM boss, Otunba Adejare Adegbenro's Leadership Legacy

Advertisment
Continue Reading

society

Bullying: Victim may sue As Abuja School Shut

Published

on

Bullying: Victim may sue As Abuja School Shut

Bullying: Victim may sue As Abuja School Shut

 

Advertisment

Lead British International School Abuja, which has been in the eye of the storm over viral videos of bullying involving some of its students, has been shut for three days.

The shutdown order was issued on Tuesday by the Minister of Women Affairs, Uju Kennedy-Ohaneye.

Advertisment

The Public Relations Officer of the FCT Education Secretariat, Kabiru Musa,  confirmed that the school had been shut down by the minister.

“Yes, it was shut down by the honourable Minister of Women  Affairs for 3 days,” Musa in response to a Whatsapp message by one of our correspondents.

 

Advertisement

staff member of the school, whose name could not be ascertained as of press time, had earlier announced the shutdown of the school by the minister.

The PUNCH reports that an X user, @moooyeeeee, had on Monday night posted two videos of a female student of the school being repeatedly slapped by another female classmate.

The user called for justice for the victim. Since they were posted, the videos have drawn the wrath of many users of the microblogging platform, who condemned the incident and called for the school authorities to investigate and punish the culprits.

 

A third video depicting a separate case of bullying at the Lead British International School, Abuja emerged on Tuesday.

In the new video posted on Tuesday, some male students in the school’s uniform are seen surrounding another boy who appears to be in casual attire.

A student slapped the boy, who was on his knees, and then some of the other boys who were gathered appealed to stop the ‘bully’ from further harming the boy, who was later whisked away in the nine-second video.

An X user, @PopoolaJoke4, who posted the video wrote, “No be the same school?”, in response to the first viral video of bullying in the same school that was released earlier.

In one of the videos of the minister’s visit, the  representative of the school was heard saying, “By the request of the Minister of Women Affairs, we are Nigerians who respect rules and regulations and we are under the law because our school is actually recognised and our school is under the Federal Capital Territory, and we are registered and based on that, Lead British International School, Abuja is hereby shut  for three days.”

As of the time of filing this report, our correspondent could not ascertain whether the FCTA would use the occasion to investigate other private schools in which alleged cases of bullying take place in the FCT.

Victim threatens lawsuit

 

Namtira Bwala, the student assaulted by her fellow students at Lead British International School, has written the school management, demanding a thorough investigation and heavy sanctions for the 11 students who bullied her.

Two of the bullies were identified tobe Maryam Hassan and a certain Faliya.

Bwala, in a letter addressed to the management of her school through her lawyers at the Deji Adeyanju and Partners Law Firm, gave the school an ultimatum of 48 hours after which she will seek legal redress.

 

A copy of the letter obtained by The PUNCH read, “Our client and several other parents in Lead British International School have informed us and we verily believe them that this act of bullying is a reoccurring issue in the school, and despite several attempts to draw the school’s attention to it, the issue has persisted, leaving our client traumatised from the emotional and physical effect of the oppressive acts by these daredevil bullies.

“Our client completely dissociates herself from the statement issued by the school on April 22, 2024, wherein a case of battery was unconscionably referred to as an ‘incident between minors’.

“Sequel to the foregoing, we have our client’s instruction to demand an immediate investigation and the pronouncement of the stiffest possible sanctions in the student’s rule book on Ms. Maryam Hassan, Miss Faliya and nine other students who have formed a cult of bullies in Lead British International School, Gwarimpa, Abuja.

“Please note that if the school fails to sanction the student bullies within 48 hours of the receipt of this letter, we have our client’s further instruction to seek an immediate and severe legal redress against Lead British International School, Gwarimpa, without further recourse to you.”

 

Advertisment
Continue Reading

Cover Of The Week

Trending