Our attention has been drawn to reports published by some media outlets following a press statement by the International Press Centre on the purported shooting of three journalists at Tuesday’s flag off of the All Progressives Congress gubernatorial campaign rally held at the Sky Power Grounds in Ikeja, Lagos.
The statement is inaccurate and not a representation of what happened at the well attended and highly successful flag off campaign.
Over 50 journalists were accredited to cover the event and a special arrangement was made to guarantee their safety with the provision of a dedicated media platform.
At no point was any member of the media harassed, threatened or molested throughout the period of the campaign. Journalists moved freely from one point to another in the expansive field and no one was censored.
For the records, the campaign began at 10 O’clock in the morning with several events lined up, such as endorsements and open declaration of support for our candidate, Mr. Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu. There was music, dance and jubilation by party faithful who came out enmasse to witness the epoch-making event. The State Party Chairman, Alhaji Tunde Balogun, assisted by the incumbent Governor of Lagos State. Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, presented the official flag of the party to our standard bearer, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu.
While His Excellency, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, remarks was going on, sounds suspected to be gun shots rented the air.
Characteristically, people who were close to where the sound came from ran for dear lives.
Unfortunately, some three journalists, Emmanuel Oladesu of the Nation newspaper, Temitope Ogunbanke of the New Telegraph newspaper and Abiodun Yusuf of Ibile TV were caught up in the melee, orchestrated by two factions of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW). They sustained injuries and were rushed to the hospital for treatment. These gentlemen had since been discharged and had returned to their various duty posts. Our office is in touch with the affected journalists.
Rather than celebrate inaccuracies, the IPC should have expressed concern and asked pertinent questions on why there was security breach at such a highly mobilized political gathering. The body should have bothered itself on where the policemen were when the perpetrators carried out the criminal act.
We encourage our media partners to seek clarification from our office on matters relating to our campaign before going to the press. That is the minimum requirement for ethical journalism.
For Babajide Sanwo-Olu media centre
09 January 2019.
Yewande Memorial School Lagos Celebrate Aina On Her Conferment Of the Member of the order of the British Empire (MBE)
Abiodun Sets Up OGWAMA to Fight Dirty Environment
Hadiza lied! We never Attacked NPA MD – OMSL
WINNERS OF 2019 FIRSTBANK SPONSORED NATIONAL COMPANY OF THE YEAR COMPETITION CONTEST IN THE AFRICA COMPANY OF THE YEAR COMPETITION
2023 : Tinubu Media Team (TMT 2023) Holds National Executives Inaugural Meeting In Abuja
Cover Of The Week
- “Sandie Beach Rugby 2019 Promises To Be Fun”- Mr. Ayo Johnson, CEO Turbocrest Sport December 6, 2019
- Unbeaten Blitzboks to face Argentina in Dubai quarter-finals December 6, 2019
- Ghana Rugby and Societe Generale Ends 2019 "Get Into Rugby" On High Note In Accra December 6, 2019
- African Impact Accelerator Launched in Cape Town to Support Ocean Economy Innovation December 6, 2019
- African Development Bank President wins All Africa Business Leaders Awards ™ 2019 African of the Year award December 6, 2019
- Former President Koroma hosts The Chairman of Horasis December 6, 2019
- Keystone Radiology Partners with GE Healthcare to Advance Diagnostic Services at MooiMed Private Hospital December 6, 2019
- African Development Fund (ADF-15) replenishment: Donors commit $7.6 billion, a 32% boost from last replenishment, in support of Africa’s low-income, fragile, countries December 6, 2019
- Pole position at stake as Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology (MMUST) and Leos face off in Kakamega December 6, 2019
- Derby day in Nairobi and Kakamega as Mwamba host Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB) December 6, 2019
Politics6 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS
Interviews6 months ago
“Mko, Adedibu, Oba Abimbola Jibola and I were the Key Players Behind June 12”-Chief Abimbola Aboderin
Sports5 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
Breaking News: What T.B. Joshua Told Assistant Coach Imama Amapakabo Before the Game Between Nigeria and Algeria .