Sadly, Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has reacted to the victory of President Muhammadu Buhari at the February 23 presidential election.
The aggrieved former Vice President says the election was not free and fair.
He says there “were manifest and premeditated” malpractices in many states which negate the results announced.
Atiku said he will seek justice the democratic way by heading to court.
Below is his full statement.
“Democracy Will Not Be Emasculated in Nigeria
I thank the Nigerian people who trooped out in their millions to perform their civic duty this past Saturday. The patriotism of Nigerians is heartwarming and affirms my oft-repeated statement that we are brothers and sisters born from the womb of one mother Nigeria.
With regards to the Presidential elections that took place on February 23, 2019, it is clear that there were manifest and premeditated malpractices in many states which negate the results announced.
Another glaring anomaly is the disruption of voting in strongholds of the Peoples Democratic Party in Lagos, Akwa-Ibom, Rivers and diverse other states, with the authorities doing little or nothing and in some cases facilitating these unfortunate situations. (See attached links to documentary evidences).
The militarization of the electoral process is a disservice to our democracy and a throwback to the jackboot era of military dictatorship. In some areas of the country, such as, Rivers, Akwa Ibom and Imo states, troops deployed for the elections turned their guns on the very citizens they were meant to protect. This is condemnable and should not be associated with our electoral process in the future.
I am a democrat and there are democratic avenues available to present the truth to the nation and the watching world. Already, many international observers have given their verdicts, which corroborate our observations. I am sure more will come in the coming hours and days.
If I had lost in a free and fair election, I would have called the victor within seconds of my being aware of his victory to offer not just my congratulations, but my services to help unite Nigeria by being a bridge between the North and the South.
However, in my democratic struggles for the past three decades, I have never seen our democracy so debased as it was on Saturday, February 23, 2019. 2007 was a challenge, but President Yar’Adua was remorseful. In 2019, it is sad to see those who trampled on democracy thumping their noses down on the Nigerian people.
Consequently, I hereby reject the result of the February 23, 2019 sham election and will be challenging it in court.
I want to assure my supporters and the entire Nigerian people that together, we will not allow democracy to be emasculated.
Waziri Atiku Abubakar
27th February 2019
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Kenya: COVID-19 update (25 January 2021) January 26, 2021
- 34th AU Summit strives to leverage and valorise African Arts, Culture and Heritage January 26, 2021
- Signing of memorandum of understanding (MoU) Between Development of the Private Sector (ICD) and SQB Securities, Uzbekistan January 26, 2021
- New African Development Bank-Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) initiative will galvanize $25 billion to scale up African climate adaptation January 26, 2021
- Businesses Gain Unparalleled Collaboration and Productivity with Motorola Solutions’ New Smart Radio January 26, 2021
- Africa's top business leaders to participate in awards to celebrate India's republic day to independence day January 26, 2021
- International Islamic Trade Finance Corporation (ITFC) and Prime Bank Sign US$15 million Murabaha Financing Facility to support SMEs in Bangladesh January 26, 2021
- Register to hear Musa Kalenga on leapfrogging tech in Africa at #BizTrends2021 January 26, 2021
- Unstoppable Paule Ella Guei honoured with Sports+ Award January 26, 2021
- #BizTrends2021 - EXCLUSIVE: In conversation with Dion Chang January 26, 2021
Politics2 months ago
US SUPREME COURT DECISION CONFIRMS TB JOSHUA PROPHECY
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
Popular Yoruba Actor, Kanran Smiles Again, gets Car, Cash, Property Worth Millions (video)
Metro5 months ago
8 People killed in Edo over ₦100
Sports5 months ago
Prophet TB Joshua Speaks To Messi