Sadly, Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has reacted to the victory of President Muhammadu Buhari at the February 23 presidential election.
The aggrieved former Vice President says the election was not free and fair.
He says there “were manifest and premeditated” malpractices in many states which negate the results announced.
Atiku said he will seek justice the democratic way by heading to court.
Below is his full statement.
“Democracy Will Not Be Emasculated in Nigeria
I thank the Nigerian people who trooped out in their millions to perform their civic duty this past Saturday. The patriotism of Nigerians is heartwarming and affirms my oft-repeated statement that we are brothers and sisters born from the womb of one mother Nigeria.
With regards to the Presidential elections that took place on February 23, 2019, it is clear that there were manifest and premeditated malpractices in many states which negate the results announced.
Another glaring anomaly is the disruption of voting in strongholds of the Peoples Democratic Party in Lagos, Akwa-Ibom, Rivers and diverse other states, with the authorities doing little or nothing and in some cases facilitating these unfortunate situations. (See attached links to documentary evidences).
The militarization of the electoral process is a disservice to our democracy and a throwback to the jackboot era of military dictatorship. In some areas of the country, such as, Rivers, Akwa Ibom and Imo states, troops deployed for the elections turned their guns on the very citizens they were meant to protect. This is condemnable and should not be associated with our electoral process in the future.
I am a democrat and there are democratic avenues available to present the truth to the nation and the watching world. Already, many international observers have given their verdicts, which corroborate our observations. I am sure more will come in the coming hours and days.
If I had lost in a free and fair election, I would have called the victor within seconds of my being aware of his victory to offer not just my congratulations, but my services to help unite Nigeria by being a bridge between the North and the South.
However, in my democratic struggles for the past three decades, I have never seen our democracy so debased as it was on Saturday, February 23, 2019. 2007 was a challenge, but President Yar’Adua was remorseful. In 2019, it is sad to see those who trampled on democracy thumping their noses down on the Nigerian people.
Consequently, I hereby reject the result of the February 23, 2019 sham election and will be challenging it in court.
I want to assure my supporters and the entire Nigerian people that together, we will not allow democracy to be emasculated.
Waziri Atiku Abubakar
27th February 2019
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Malawi: COVID-19 update (12 April 2021) April 13, 2021
- UN Secretary-General Special Envoy for Libya congratulates the Libyan People on the Advent of the Holy Month of Ramadan April 13, 2021
- Coronavirus - Ethiopia: COVID-19 update (12 April 2021) April 13, 2021
- Coronavirus - Namibia: COVID-19 update (12 April 2021) April 13, 2021
- Coronavirus - South Africa: COVID-19 update (12 April 2021) April 13, 2021
- Coronavirus - Kenya: COVID-19 update (12 April 2021) April 13, 2021
- Coronavirus - Rwanda: COVID-19 update (12 April 2021) April 13, 2021
- African candidate for post of United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) Director General, Dr. Arkebe Oqubay, receives support from the Economic Commission for Africa Conference of African Ministers of Finance, Planning and Economic Development April 13, 2021
- Coronavirus - Nigeria: COVID-19 update (12 April 2021) April 13, 2021
- Coronavirus - Zambia: COVID-19 update (12 April 2021) April 13, 2021
Politics5 months ago
US SUPREME COURT DECISION CONFIRMS TB JOSHUA PROPHECY
religion4 months ago
Kidnapping In Aso Rock, CBN Governor Indictment, Death Of Governor, Others – Primate Ayodele Fearful 2021 Prophecies
celebrity radar - gossips3 months ago
Profile of New Chief of Army Staff Maj Gen Ibrahim Attahiru
Politics5 months ago
Will Primate Ayodele’s Warning To Joe Biden On US Election Come To Pass?