society
CACOVID explain reasons why governors delayed distribution of COVID-19 palliatives
Two members of the Coalition Against COVID-19 (CACOVID) have explained the delay in the distribution of palliatives by state governments.
CACOVID is a private sector-led organization established to assist the government in combating the Coronavirus disease in the Nigeria.
CACOVID members, Mr Osita Nwasinobi and Dr Sola Adeduntan, in two separate documents made available to the media on Monday in Abuja, called for calm among members of the public.
Nwasinobi, in a document he authored for CACOVID members, said that the coalition had been working with the minister of the FCT and the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF), to procure and distribute food items to Nigerians.
He said that they were working to distribute the food items for about two million, mostly vulnerable families across the 774 local government areas in the country, explaining that CACOVID members decided to procure the food directly from the manufacturers, to avoid a distortion of prices in the market.
Nwasinobi stressed: “The sheer scale of this nationwide food programme and the timing of the orders and deliveries, coincided with the lockdowns and reduced movement across the country.
“This compelled CACOVID to roll out distribution in a staggered manner, with states classified in three timed phases, to enable orderly delivery to the needy.
“The food package was designed such that each of the nearly two million vulnerable families received 10kg bag of rice, five-kilogram bag of garri/maize flour/semolina, one carton of pasta, two cartons of noodles, five kilograms of sugar and one kilogram of salt.”
He added that due to the large size of the order and the production cycle required to meet the demand, there was delay in delivering the food items and thus delays in distribution by state governments
“For instance, rice had to be milled, semolina and maize flour had to be processed, noodles and pasta had to be manufactured, and sugar had to be refined. As such, the first deliveries could not start until June.
“However, as at October 2020, a sizable portion of the items had been delivered but yet to be distributed by the governors,” Nwasinobi said.
He said that while 28 states and the FCT had commenced distribution since early August, some could not as they were yet to receive complete deliveries of the items allotted to them and so state governments had been distributing the items at various paces.
In the interest of transparency and accountability, he pledged that CACOVID would, in due course, provide the full delivery schedule and flag-off dates by each state, stressing that KPMG Professional Services and NGF external auditors were also on the verge of completing the audit of all contributions from the donors, including a full list of all medical and food items procured with the CACOVID funds before the warehouses were attacked.
“It is very unfortunate that various states, including states that have concluded the distribution of their allocations, are seeing their warehouses and other premises being raided.”
Nwasinobi called for calm to allow states to proceed with their palliatives distribution peacefully, and for the public to disregard any unauthorized sources of information regarding the procurement and distribution of the palliatives.
Adeduntan, the Chief Executive Officer of First Bank PLC, in a letter addressed to “Sigma Chief, Old Chiefs and Loyalists” urged member to be wary of information on social media, saying that CACOVID had successfully provided health facilities, diagnostic kits and medications to all the states and the FCT.
The First Bank CEO said that CACOVID also decided to provide food to 1.7 million mostly vulnerable families across the country but the challenge was how to purchase those items worth about N15 billion without driving inflation.
“We had to contract this out to various manufacturers and that took time for them to deliver the goods to us. It was only in September and early October that we handed the goods over to the various state governments and FCT.
“It is therefore a fallacy that the state governments or Dangote have hoarded those foodstuffs,” he explained.
society
Banwo Law Offers Lifeline as New USCIS Policy Threatens Immigrants With Re-Entry Bans
Banwo Law Offers Lifeline as New USCIS Policy Threatens Immigrants With Re-Entry Bans
A major immigration policy shift being considered by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) could place thousands of immigrants at risk of severe re-entry penalties, according to renowned immigration attorney Ope Banwo, whose law firm, Banwo Law, says it is already helping affected individuals navigate the evolving situation.
Speaking in an exclusive interview with The Octopus News, Banwo warned that the policy memo issued by USCIS on May 22 could dramatically alter the pathway many immigrants currently use to obtain permanent residency in the United States.
According to him, USCIS is signaling that Adjustment of Status inside the United States may no longer be treated as the standard route to obtaining a Green Card, but rather as an “extraordinary” form of relief.
If fully implemented, the policy could require many immigrants to complete their Green Card processing through U.S. embassies and consulates abroad instead of remaining in America during the process.
Banwo explained that the potential policy change could affect a broad category of immigrants, including H1B workers, F1 students, B1/B2 visitors, exchange visitors, temporary workers, and even some immigrants currently maintaining lawful status in the United States.
“For decades, Adjustment of Status has protected many immigrants from dangerous immigration consequences tied to leaving the United States,” Banwo stated.
“The danger now is that some immigrants could unknowingly trigger automatic three-year or ten-year re-entry bans the moment they depart America for overseas visa processing.”
He noted that many immigrants are unaware that prolonged unlawful presence in the United States can activate severe immigration penalties once they leave the country, even if their departure is tied to official immigration processing.
According to Banwo, marriage-based Green Card applicants, employment-based immigrants, visa overstays, and temporary workers transitioning to permanent residency may all face significant legal complications under the proposed policy direction.
However, Banwo urged immigrants not to panic, stressing that proper legal guidance and strategic planning remain critical.
He warned immigrants against relying on unverified social media information or “TikTok lawyers” when making life-changing immigration decisions.
Banwo disclosed that Banwo Law, accessible through SpeakWithOpe.com https://speakwithope.com, is already providing consultations to immigrants across the United States by reviewing immigration histories, assessing waiver eligibility, and developing legal strategies tailored to individual cases.
The experienced immigration law firm is also helping clients understand whether they may still qualify for Adjustment of Status inside the United States or whether alternative legal pathways may be available.
Banwo stressed that immigrants should seek experienced legal counsel before traveling outside the United States or taking any immigration steps that could jeopardise their ability to return or secure lawful permanent residency.
“Immigration law is changing rapidly,” he said. “This is not the time for guesswork. People need experienced legal guidance now more than ever.”

society
EWMCN Congratulates SK Sensation On Third-Term Re-Election As FUMAN National President ~ 1ST ELEVEN9JA TV
EWMCN Congratulates SK Sensation On Third-Term Re-Election As FUMAN National President ~ 1ST ELEVEN9JA TV
By Alhaji Arems (Baba Fuji)
The President of the Elite Women Musician Club of Nigeria (EWMCN), Alhaja Queen Isimot Abake Abiola, popularly known as Omo-Opeki, has extended warm congratulations to Alhaji Sikiru Ayinde Agboola, widely known as SK Sensation, following his successful re-election for a third term as the National President of the Fuji Musicians Association of Nigeria (FUMAN).
In a congratulatory statement issued on behalf of EWMCN, Omo-Opeki described the victory as well-deserved, noting that the continuous support SK Sensation enjoys from members of the association is a clear reflection of his impact, leadership style, and dedication to the advancement of Fuji music in Nigeria.
According to her, his re-election for another term represents not only a personal achievement, but also a sign of stability and continuity for the Fuji music community at a time when unity, structure, and strong leadership remain important within the entertainment industry.
She further commended SK Sensation for his efforts in promoting peace, cooperation, and development among Fuji musicians across different regions of the country, while also acknowledging his role in sustaining the relevance and visibility of FUMAN over the years.
Omo-Opeki stated that under his leadership, the association has continued to witness growth and stronger representation within the cultural and entertainment space, adding that many stakeholders in the industry recognize the consistency and commitment he has brought to the office.
“Leadership is earned through service, and this third-term victory clearly shows the confidence and trust members have in him,” she noted while praying for greater wisdom, strength, and success for the FUMAN President as he begins another tenure.
The EWMCN President also urged members of the association and the wider Fuji music community to remain united and supportive in order to ensure continued progress for the genre and its practitioners.
Alhaji Sikiru Ayinde Agboola, popularly known as SK Sensation, remains one of the respected figures within the Fuji music industry and currently serves as the National President of FUMAN, the umbrella body representing Fuji musicians across Nigeria.
society
Lagos Intensifies Mental Health Campaign as Experts Push Integrated Healthcare, Education System
Lagos Intensifies Mental Health Campaign as Experts Push Integrated Healthcare, Education System
By Ifeoma Ikem
The Lagos State Ministry of Health has reiterated the need for a stronger connection between healthcare, education, and emotional well-being as part of efforts to tackle growing mental health challenges and youth drug abuse in the state.
Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi, stated this during the maiden edition of the Integrated Wellness and Education Conference held in Lagos.
The conference, which took place at Ikeja GRA, brought together health professionals, educators, students, and policy advocates to discuss the future of healthcare delivery, mental wellness, and youth development in Nigeria.
According to Abayomi, healthcare, education, and mental well-being are interconnected areas that must be addressed collectively in order to build a healthier society.
The commissioner, who was represented by Atewologun Titofunmi, a Mental Health Officer and Technical Support Adviser, explained that the state government is actively tackling mental health issues through its Mental Health Programme Lagos, popularly known as the MiND initiative.
He noted that mental health concerns have long been neglected due to social stigma and excessive focus on physical health, stressing that authorities are now working to change public perception and encourage open conversations around emotional well-being.
“Everything works hand in hand. We need to address mental health issues because historically, attention has focused mainly on physical health due to the stigma surrounding mental illness,” he said.
Abayomi disclosed that the state currently operates several wellness initiatives aimed at providing psychosocial support for public servants dealing with workplace stress, anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts.
He further explained that the Ministry of Health runs dedicated 24-hour counseling support services free of charge for residents requiring emotional and psychological assistance.
Speaking on youth development, the commissioner expressed concern over the rising rate of drug abuse among young people, warning that substance abuse has become a major threat to mental health and social stability.
According to him, the state government is developing policies and awareness campaigns under the MiND initiative that will take anti-drug abuse advocacy directly into communities in order to educate youths on the dangers of substance abuse.
Also speaking at the event, Prof. Lere Baale emphasized the importance of mentorship, counseling, and quality education in helping young people make responsible life choices.
Baale said young people possess unique talents and abilities that can positively transform society if properly guided and supported through the right educational and career opportunities.
“We must teach our children the right things. God has shaped them to change the world despite the challenges they face,” he stated.
The pharmacy expert added that the decisions young people make at critical stages of life often determine their future, stressing the need for mentorship and career counseling to help them navigate educational and professional pathways successfully.
He maintained that Africa, particularly Nigeria, still holds enormous opportunities for growth and innovation despite its current challenges, adding that quality education remains the key to unlocking the continent’s potential.
“There is no place like home. The problems in Africa, especially Nigeria, are also opportunities. What we need is quality education to excel,” he added.
On his part, Dr. Samuel Kayode explained that the conference was designed to bridge knowledge gaps within the healthcare system and inspire young people to pursue careers in medicine and related professions.
According to him, many youths lack adequate understanding of opportunities within the healthcare sector, making it necessary to expose them to the realities, challenges, and rewards associated with medical professions.
Kayode noted that the COVID-19 pandemic exposed serious shortages in healthcare manpower globally and revealed the vulnerability of health systems during emergencies.
He observed that Nigeria’s healthcare workforce crisis has worsened due to the migration of trained professionals abroad, leaving the country with inadequate personnel to cater to its rapidly growing population.
“Globally, the goal is to produce more healthcare personnel, but in Nigeria the situation has become more critical because many professionals are leaving the country,” he said.
The conference also highlighted the importance of workplace flexibility, continuous learning, and career development in retaining healthcare professionals and improving productivity within organizations.
Participants stressed that flexible work schedules, remote work options, and supportive work environments are essential in helping workers balance personal responsibilities with professional demands.
The event featured participation from Jawa Group Nigeria and six secondary schools from across Lagos metropolis, with students engaging in debates and educational activities focused on healthcare, wellness, and career development.
-
news5 months agoWHO REALLY OWNS MONIEPOINT? The $290 Million Deal That Sold Nigeria’s Top Fintech to Foreign Interests
-
society3 weeks agoSOCIAL MEDIA IS NOT A BATTLEFIELD COMMAND – WHY THE NIGERIAN ARMY’S ACTION AGAINST JUSTICE CRACK IS A NATIONAL SECURITY IMPERATIVE
-
celebrity radar - gossips4 months agoDr. Chris Okafor Returns with Power and Fire of the Spirit -Mounts Grace Nation Altar with Fresh Anointing and Restoration Grace on February 1, 2026
-
celebrity radar - gossips5 months agoProphet Kingsley Aitafo Releases 2026 Prophecy: ‘Nigeria Will Rise, but the World Must Prepare for Turbulence’



