Community media need support -Stakeholder
By Ifeoma Ikem
In a move to address the problems of negative news between the media and Ikorodu community in Lagos, the Ikorodu News Network, INN, called for synergy among both parties.
To this effect, an interactive section organized by INN with the theme‘ Media As A Catalyst To Project Ikorodu Division As The New Face Of Lagos; was held in Ikorodu area of Lagos with the concerned parties barring their minds on the way forward.
The Executive Chairman of Igbogbo Baiyeku LCDA, spelt out strategies to address the issue of negative news coverage coming out from Ikorodu.
Bldr Olusesan Daini Mayorkun noted that the media has a role to play in Ikorodu news reporting.
“In this division we have good news being celebrated on daily basis but why is it only bad news that is being reported.
He said that with the summit, they will have a new face in Ikorodu, ‘people will begin to hear good news in Ikorodu, we have industrious sons and daughters that are doing well globally but no body is hearing about this kind of people, the media need to start reporting that.
Olusesan advised the media to balance their news by pushing out positive news especially in Ikorodu to the public.
Fola Tinubu ,the Managing Director of Primero Transport Service, in his part noted that community media is important to the community which is the first contact to the community and public domain.
” They are closer than national media to the people within the community, all stakeholders need to support them to establish and grow.
According to him, community media should make themselves relevant, their services are necessary as they give information to the community.
“We are in a digital age, community media need to pass information to the community and people at large without them nobody will have information or news of anything within and outside the community.
“We need to partner with them,” he added.
Tinubu said people get their information about what is going on first through the community media, so they play vital roles in the community.
Chairman, Ikorodu Division Resource Development Group (IDRDG) Bashorun Babatunde Rotinwa, said community media is the bedrock of any developing community.
Bashorun advised journalist to always report the basic needs of the community.
“With it, the people will support you because you represent their interest, once you are able to blow the news all the agencies that are responsible for making life convenient for the community will wake up.
He pointed out that as media organisations, they must identify the pressing needs of the community.
“After identifying it, the promotion is next which will be done by community media.’
Identify what the problem of the government is, Why are they not developing?
“The problem we are having in Nigeria is that the government do not fear the people, it’s the people that fear the government which is wrong, they can’t kill everyone of us we shouldn’t fear them.
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Ethiopia: COVID-19 Reported Cases in Ethiopia (15 January 2022) January 16, 2022
- Coronavirus - Zambia: COVID-19 Statistics Daily Status Update (15 January 2022) January 16, 2022
- Coronavirus - Malawi: COVID-19 Daily Info Update (15 January 2022) January 15, 2022
- Kenya: Health CS Pledges to Sustain Ongoing Reforms as he Receives MES Contracts Report January 15, 2022
- A Bawi, la MINUSCA oeuvre ? instaurer un climat de confiance entre les forces de s?curit? int?rieure et les communaut?s January 15, 2022
- Coronavirus - Eritrea: Announcement from the Ministry of Health (15 January 2022) January 15, 2022
- Children Under the Age of Five in Uganda set to benefit from the Nationwide House-to-House Polio Immunization Campaign January 15, 2022
- UN in Geneva celebrates 6 decades supporting impartial TV news January 15, 2022
- UN in Egypt participates in the launch of the first edition of the "World Art Forum at the National Museum of Egyptian Civilization January 15, 2022
- Mauritius - COVID-19: The deadline for the administration of booster dose extended to 19 February 2022 January 15, 2022
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
SYLVESTER OROMONI’S DEATH: DOWEN COLLEGE COMMITTED TO JUSTICE
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
IPGC ~ USA sets to Launch African Headquarters. Appoints Amb. Jonathan Ojadah as Head Of Mission, Africa
celebrity radar - gossips3 weeks ago
Why I Dumped Ooni Of Ife- Queen Naomi Explains Marriage Breakup
society1 month ago
Lagos landlord pours ‘Sniper’ inside tenant’s apartment