Aftermath of the #endsars saga, The Inspector-General Of police, IGP M.A Adamu, NPM, mni has ordered the deployment of all legitimate force to protect lives and property of citizens including police officers and personnel of other law enforcement agencies and their families, and to prevent attacks on private/public assets from any violent person(s) or group(s) operating under any guise.
The IGP restates that Command Commissioners of Police and their supervisory Assistant Inspectors-General of Police should resist all riotous elements forthwith and checkmate any form of violent/riotous protests in line with Section 33 (1) & (2) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended) which among other things provides for the use of such force as is reasonably necessary –
(a) For the defense of any person from unlawful violence or for the defense of property;
(b) In order to effect a lawful arrest or to prevent the escape of a person lawfully detained; or
(c) For the purpose of suppressing a riot, insurrection or mutiny.
The IGP affirms that the Force will not tolerate a repeat of the horrendous attacks and killings, arson and wanton destruction, and looting of public and private assets witnessed during the recent violent protests in some parts of the country. He warns that the Force shall deploy the full weight of the law and legitimate force (if necessary) in preventing a recurrence.
Recall that in the wake of the #ENDSARS protests and the violence that emanated therefrom, a total of fifty-one (51) civilian fatalities and thirty-seven (37) civilian injuries were recorded, while a total of twenty-two (22) policemen were gruesomely murdered and twenty-six (26) others injured by the protesters. Two hundred and five (205) police stations, corporate facilities and private property were attacked, burnt or vandalized.
The IGP assures law abiding citizens across the country of the Force’s renewed and unwavering commitment to their safety and security especially as we approach the yuletide. He calls for the collaboration and support of citizens in the ongoing reforms of the Force.
Cover Of The Week
- Frightened Residents brace as Cyclone Eloise approaches Mozambique January 22, 2021
- Coronavirus: COVAX announces new agreement, plans for first deliveries January 22, 2021
- Coronavirus - Seychelles: India gifts Seychelles with COVISHIELD vaccines January 22, 2021
- Coronavirus - Namibia: COVID-19 Update 22 January 2021 January 22, 2021
- Sierra Leone’s President Julius Maada Bio inspects Agricultural Machinery at the Agriculture Central Stores in Freetown January 22, 2021
- Coronavirus - Uganda: COVID-19 update (22 January 2021) January 22, 2021
- Africa’s first ever Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) World Tour team, Team Qhubeka ASSOS, unveils iconic 2021 race jersey January 22, 2021
- Coronavirus: African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases as of 22 January 2021, 9 am EAT January 22, 2021
- Online Trading: What to look for in a Broker January 22, 2021
- Participation, education, digital access and climate change are key concerns for children and young people in Africa and Europe, U-Report poll finds January 22, 2021
Politics2 months ago
US SUPREME COURT DECISION CONFIRMS TB JOSHUA PROPHECY
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
Popular Yoruba Actor, Kanran Smiles Again, gets Car, Cash, Property Worth Millions (video)
Metro5 months ago
8 People killed in Edo over ₦100
Sports5 months ago
Prophet TB Joshua Speaks To Messi