On the 13th of May 2020, the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja Judicial Division struck out the Suit filed by Hon. Ali Sani, a member of the Governing Council of Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission (NIPC) on the grounds that the Plaintiff lacked locus/ legal right to bring the Suit and that the Suit was statute-barred.
Hon. Sani instituted the action on the 25th of November 2019 seeking to restrain NIPC, the Chairman of NIPC and the Executive Secretary of NIPC from appropriating and spending funds realised as internally generated revenue (IGR). He also filed an ex parte application and interlocutory application for an injunction to restrain the Commission from further spending its IGR for 2018, 2019 and 2020.
On the 17th of December 2019, Honourable Justice A. I. Chikere of the Federal High Court had granted an interim order restraining NIPC from appropriating and spending its IGR pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice for injunction. Following the grant of the interim order, NIPC was unable to fund most of its activities and meet a large percentage of its 3rd party contractual obligations.
Counsel to the Defendants, Messrs Afe Babalola & Co, through the lead counsel Kehinde Ogunwumiju, SAN filed a preliminary objection to the Suit and a counter-affidavit against the motion for interlocutory injunction arguing that the Plaintiff had no legal right to file the Suit as he was part of the Governing Council which approved the expenditure of the IGR. The Defendants Counsel also argued that the Plaintiff cannot ask the Court to restrain NIPC from exercising its statutory powers to spend funds duly approved for spending in accordance with extant laws. The Counsel asked the Court to strike out the Suit on the ground that it was statute-barred and that the Plaintiff lacks the locus to file the suit.
In its ruling on the motion for injunction, the Federal High Court held that the Plaintiff had no legal right to file the Suit as the Court cannot grant a relief to restrain an executive body from exercising its statutory powers. The Court held further that in any case, the application was seeking to restrain the spending of an IGR that had already been duly spent in 2018 and 2019.
Whilst ruling on the preliminary objection filed by the Defendants, the Court struck out the name of the Chairman of NIPC, which is non-existent on the ground that the said name is a non-juristic person in law.
The Court then struck out the substantive Suit on the ground that it was statute-barred having been filed more than a year after the accrual of the cause of action in line with the provisions of Section 2 (a) of the Public Officers Protection Act and as such, the Court lacked jurisdiction to entertain the Suit.
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - South Africa: Premier Alan Winde on Coronavirus COVID-19 update for 27 May May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Somalia: Update on COVID-19 in Somalia (27 May 2020) May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Guinea: COVID-19 Situation Report No. 8 (13 to 26 May 2020) May 27, 2020
- [Media Alert] Jack Ma Foundation and Alibaba Foundation Host 11th Global MediXchange for Combating COVID-19 (GMCC) Webinar in Africa in Collaboration with the United Nations May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Libya: COVID-19 Situation Report (27th May 2020) May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: COVID-19 hygiene measures must be enforced in schools set to reopen in West and Central Africa, says Save the Children May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: Southern and Eastern Africa COVID-19 Digest (27 May 2020) May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: Global Education Coalition facilitates free internet access for distance education in several countries May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Ethiopia: Notification Note on COVID-19 Situational Update - 27 May 2020 May 27, 2020
- The African Union Development Agency (AUDA-NEPAD) and Ecobank Group announce the key focus areas of their joint initiative to support Africa’s Micro Small and Medium Enterprises May 27, 2020
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
Apostle Omotosho Releases Shocking 57 Prophecies For 2020
news3 months ago
Governor Dapo Abiodun : The Silent Hardworking Governor
Fashion/Lifestyle6 months ago
Face Of Universe Nigeria Beauty pageant maiden edition Registration kicks off January 20th
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
ECOWAS Youth Council Decorates Seyi Tinubu as an Ambassador…Honour Him with Nelson Mandela Leadership Award