Four persons reportedly died in a stampede during the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential campaign rally in Port Harcourt, Rivers state, on Tuesday.
Sources said gates of Adokiye Amiesimaka stadium where the event held were locked on arrival of President Muhammadu Buhari and people who tried to exit were trampled upon.
Some of the people who sustained injuries at the stadium have been evacuated and taken to the hospital for treatment.
On Thursday, at least two persons were killed during the party’s presidential rally in Jalingo, Taraba capital.
Garba Shehu, presidential spokesman, who confirmed the incident, said the deaths were caused by overcrowding at the Jolly Nyame stadium where the rally held.
In a statement, Buhari expressed sadness over the incident, saying he wished they were alive to “witness the dividends of purposeful governance” if and when he is re-elected.
“I always feel very sad and distressed when ordinary Nigerians who love me and our party because of what we stand for and have done, make personal sacrifices by taking the pains to show their support, end their lives tragically,” Buhari had said.
There is no official information yet over the Port Harcourt incident.
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Rwanda: COVID-19 update (15 April 2021) April 16, 2021
- African Union holds global conference to accelerate African vaccine development and manufacturing capacity April 16, 2021
- Ultra-fast, and responsive - first details of EOS R3 revealed, Canon's latest professional mirrorless for sports and news April 16, 2021
- Coronavirus - Namibia: COVID-19 update (14 April 2021) April 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Zambia: COVID-19 update (14 April 2021) April 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Eritrea: Announcement from the Ministry of Health (14 April 2021) April 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Malawi: COVID-19 update (14 April 2021) April 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Nigeria: COVID-19 update (14 April 2021) April 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - Ethiopia: COVID-19 update (14 April 2021) April 15, 2021
- Coronavirus - South Africa: COVID-19 update (14 April 2021) April 15, 2021
Politics5 months ago
US SUPREME COURT DECISION CONFIRMS TB JOSHUA PROPHECY
religion4 months ago
Kidnapping In Aso Rock, CBN Governor Indictment, Death Of Governor, Others – Primate Ayodele Fearful 2021 Prophecies
celebrity radar - gossips3 months ago
Profile of New Chief of Army Staff Maj Gen Ibrahim Attahiru
Politics5 months ago
Will Primate Ayodele’s Warning To Joe Biden On US Election Come To Pass?