Connect with us

society

How Ex-Minister Gbagi Rescued Girl With Jaw Tumour

Published

on

 

Former Minister of State for Education, Olorogun Gbagi, recently attained a philanthropic feat with his intervention which transformed the life of a girl, Eloho Ophukomuo, who for years suffered facial disfiguration from jaw tumour.

 

The former Minister who is a renowned International Philanthropist, through his Foundation, spent about N1.5 million on the treatment of the girl at the Delta State University Teaching Hospital, Oghara.

 

The amount paid by the Gbagi Foundation covered expenses incurred from imaging diagnostics, laboratory investigations, drugs, blood transfusions, surgical operations, etc.

The surgical feat was performed by a team of surgeons, anaesthetists, nurses and other health workers led by Dr. Mrs Etetafia, a Consultant Oral Maxillofacial Surgeon, who according to some hospital sources, is reputed for doing such difficult cases.

According to the former Minister, the attention of the Gbagi Foundation was drawn to Miss Eloho’s plight, while undertaking the distribution of COVID-19 palliatives sometime last year to needy Nigerians during the nationwide lockdown occasioned by the global pandemic, as part of its humble contribution to society.

Gbagi said, “the lady had been spotted in the crowd amongst those who came out to receive the palliatives in a rural community in Ughelli South LGA, Iwhrekan to be precise.

“On seeing the pictures of the event, I immediately sought the view of the medical community if this was amenable to any form of medical treatment, as I was willing and led to bear the costs.

“Effort was made by my foundation to contact the family, and the girl’s mother, informed us that Eloho had been suffering from this condition for about 5 years without help.

“Just as we were making inquiries on how to intervene, we got a positive response from the medical experts that the foundation had previously consulted on the girl’s case.

“Thereafter, her journey in search of better health and wellness saw her at the Delta State University Teaching Hospital after some initial diagnostic evaluation at West End Hospital Warri, all on the sponsorship of the Gbagi Foundation.”

On her part, the Consultant Surgeon who undertook the surgical removal of the tumour, Dr. Mabel Etetafia said, “the tumour type is ameloblastoma.

“The extensive reconstructive surgery needed has since been done and the patient is responding very well to treatment.

“So far, she’s been doing well. In surgical management of cases like that, there’s room for revisit when needed. But at the moment, she’s very stable.”

“On her facial profile, it will keep adjusting because the healing process is not complete yet.

“I highly commend the effort of the Gbagi Foundation, because the girl’s condition degenerated because of poverty.

“In Maxillofacial surgery, I find that those who have that condition are often very poor and cannot afford the bills by themselves.

“I, therefore, commend the foundation for its kind and humanitarian interventions which has transformed lives like Eloho’s for good,” Etetafia added.

Signed:

Gbagi Media Office

Wednesday, 6th January, 2020.

society

Insecurity: General Buratai Advocates Youth-Driven National Security Strategy

Published

on

Insecurity: General Buratai Advocates Youth-Driven National Security Strategy

 

Former Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Yusuf Buratai, has stressed the need for increased youth participation in Nigeria’s security architecture, warning that failure to engage young people meaningfully could further aggravate insecurity across the country.

 

Buratai made the assertion while delivering a lecture titled, “The Armed Forces of Nigeria and National Security: The Youth and National Security Aspirations,” at the University of Ilorin.

 

The retired military officer described Nigerian youths as the nation’s greatest strength, noting that their creativity, patriotism, and innovation must be effectively channelled towards combating terrorism, banditry, cybercrime, separatist agitations, and other security threats confronting the country.

 

According to him, the Armed Forces of Nigeria had transformed from a colonial constabulary institution into a formidable force responsible for protecting the nation’s sovereignty and territorial integrity.

 

He observed that persistent insecurity across the North-East, North-West, Middle Belt, and South-East remained a major threat to national unity, adding that meaningful youth engagement in security initiatives would play a decisive role in ensuring stability and sustainable development.

 

Buratai further outlined the constitutional responsibilities of the Armed Forces, including defending Nigeria against external aggression, suppressing insurrection, and supporting civil authorities in maintaining law and order.

 

The former army chief also reviewed Nigeria’s security landscape, identifying Boko Haram insurgency, ISWAP activities, banditry, oil theft, separatist violence, and transnational organised crimes as some of the major challenges confronting the country.

 

Drawing comparisons with counter-insurgency operations in Colombia and Sri Lanka, he urged Nigeria to adopt a combination of military operations and socio-economic reforms in addressing insecurity.

 

He also encouraged Nigerian youths to embrace careers in the Armed Forces, noting that the military offers opportunities for leadership development, discipline, skills acquisition, career advancement, and national integration.

 

Buratai proposed the recruitment of 50,000 youths annually into the Armed Forces over the next five years, alongside the establishment of state intelligence fusion centres and a national civic security training programme for graduates.

 

 

He concluded by urging Nigerian youths to actively support efforts aimed at promoting peace and national security, stressing that enduring peace could only be achieved through justice, inclusion, and development.

Continue Reading

society

Court Warns Police: Your Role in Debt Recovery is Illegal; Awards N50m in Favour of Man Detained for 6 Months Over Failed Forex Deal 

Published

on

Court Warns Police: Your Role in Debt Recovery is Illegal; Awards N50m in Favour of Man Detained for 6 Months Over Failed Forex Deal 

 

The Lagos State High Court has declared the six-month detention of businessman Bassey Ikpi Ubi over a failed foreign exchange transaction illegal and unconstitutional, ordering the police and private respondents to pay N50 million in damages for torture and unlawful detention.

Justice O. O. Adewunmi-Oshin held that the Nigeria Police Force has no legal authority to act as a debt recovery agency or to mediate private civil disputes.

The ruling was delivered on Monday, 11 May 2026, at the Lagos Judicial Division, High Court No. 49, in Suit No. LD/18019MFHR/2024.

Mr. Ubi, Managing Director of MC COY IKPI BUSINESS INTERNATIONAL LIMITED, had sued the Inspector General of Police, the Assistant Inspector General Zone 2, the DSS, the EFCC, and 11 private individuals and corporate entities.

He alleged that he was arrested and detained on Friday,16 February 2024, tortured almost to death in custody, denied bail, and had his Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Tecno phones forcibly taken and hacked.

The applicant told the court that the dispute arose from a failed foreign exchange transaction and that the police were being used by private respondents to recover civil debts.

Justice Adewunmi-Oshin stated unequivocally that “the police are not debt collectors and the detention cell is not a venue for settling private disputes.”

The court observed with concern what it called a recurring trend whereby officers of the Nigeria Police Force arrest and detain citizens under the pretext of criminality while the underlying dispute amounts to nothing more than a breach of contract or a failed commercial transaction.

“This Court observes with concern the recurring trend whereby officers of the Nigeria Police Force arrest and detain Citizens under the pretext of Criminality, while the underlying dispute amounts to nothing more than a breach of contract or a failed commercial transaction,” the judge said.

“Such conduct finds no warrant in law. Sections 4 of the Police Act 2020 above cited does not confer any power to act as debt collectors or to mediate private civil disputes.”

Citing _Fawehimi V Inspector General of Police_ (2002) 7 NWLR pt 767 pg 606, the court reiterated that

“the Police must not allow themselves to be used as tools for the enforcement of Civil obligations.”

The judge also referenced Section 6 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015, which makes clear that arrest shall only be made for a reasonable suspicion of a criminal offence, not for the recovery of debts or enforcement of contractual obligations.

On the applicant’s detention, the court found that holding him for six months without bringing him before a court violated Sections 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 and 41 of the 1999 Constitution, as well as Articles 4, 5, 6 and 7 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights.

The judge further declared that the seizure and hacking of the applicant’s phones by the 4th respondent infringed his right to privacy and personal liberty guaranteed under Sections 35 and 37 of the Constitution.

Consequently, the court granted 11 orders. It restrained the 1st to 5th respondents from acting as recovery agents or from further arresting and detaining the applicant and officers of his company.

It ordered the 4th respondent to unconditionally release the seized phones. The court awarded N50,000,000 jointly and severally against all respondents for general, aggravated and exemplary damages, to be paid within 30 days.

It also directed the respondents to publish a public apology to the applicant in a full-page advertorial in a national daily newspaper within 14 days, in line with Section 35(6) of the Constitution.

“The practice is condemned in the strongest terms and the leadership of the Nigeria Police Force is expected to take immediate disciplinary and administrative steps to eradicate it,” Justice Adewunmi-Oshin ruled.

The applicant was represented by Kennedy Osunwa with J. Akor, while M. O. Bajela appeared for the 4th respondent. The 18th and 24th respondents had earlier been struck out of the suit.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

society

2027 PRESIDENTIAL POLL: Nwosu, Akobundu, Ihedioha, Nwajiuba, Ikeobasi- Political Juggernauts Who Will Lead ADC To Landslide Victory In The South East 

Published

on

2027 PRESIDENTIAL POLL: Nwosu, Akobundu, Ihedioha, Nwajiuba, Ikeobasi- Political Juggernauts Who Will Lead ADC To Landslide Victory In The South East 

 

Barely eight months to the all-important Nigerian presidential election billed for Saturday, January 16, 2027, below are the who is who in the South East, the political heavyweights and juggernauts who will lead the main opposition African Democratic Congress (ADC), to a landslide victory across the five South East States of Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu, and Imo States.

 

1. Chief Ralph Nwosu: He is the founding National Chairman of the main opposition ADC. Nwosu beat Mr. Peter Obi during the 2002 guber primaries of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), but was asked to step down for Obi, by the revered leader of the Igbo nation, Chief Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu.

 

2. Senator Augustine Akobundu: He is Senator representing Abia Central Senatorial District in the Nigerian Senate, since 2023. He has just won the ADC primary ticket ahead of the 2027 Senatorial election billed for January 16, 2027.

 

3. H.E. Rt. Hon. Emeka Ihedioha: He was the former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives (2011-2015), and former Governor of Imo State (2019-2020). Ihedioha was illegitimately ousted from office by the Supreme Court led by CJN Kudirat Motonmori Olatokunbo Kekere-Ekun. The Supreme Court illegally smuggled APC candidate Hope Uzodimma who came a distant 4th to become Governor through the backdoor.

 

4. Chief Emeka Nwajiuba: He was the former Minister of State for Education (2019-2022). He contested the APC Presidential primaries in 2022. Nwajiuba speaks Hausa fluently and is very close to the Buhari/Katsina Northern political bloc.

 

5. Chief Ikeobasi Mokelu: He was the Minister of Information under the administration of General Sanni Abacha. He is a political juggernaut who is very close to Kashim Imam, Zango Daura, and even His Excellency Atiku Abubakar.

 

Among other eminent political juggernauts and heavyweights, the abovementioned are the men of timber and caliber who will lead the ADC charge across the South East Geo-Political Zone, going into the 2027 Presidential election.

 

Our team of eminent young political scientists and investigative journalists have done our backgrounders on these men, and can state unequivocally and emphatically that they got the verified capacity to lead the ADC to a landslide victory across the five South East States, next year.

 

It’s against this backdrop that we the leaders and members of Afa Igbo Efuna Worldwide call on His Excellency Atiku Abubakar- @atiku, and the Senator David Mark-led @ADCNig leadership to without any iota of doubt shop for a Vice Presidential candidate, among these qualified Igbo leaders from the South East Geo-Political Zone, on or before June 31, 2026.

Continue Reading

Cover Of The Week

Trending