Of a truth, this is not the best of the season for super star Lionel Messi as his football career seems to be diving down the slope.
And to worsen his predicament the Argentine’spresident Alberto Fernandez has advised Lionel Messi to return to his homeland and finish his career at his former youth team club Newell’s Old Boys.
Messi,33, shocked the world of football last week by informing Barcelona of his intentions to move on this summer following a turbulent season at the Nou Camp.
He has been most strongly linked with a move to Manchester City, where he would link up with his previous manager Pep Guardiola again.
But some believe he could be tempted with going back to Newell’s, who he represented at youth level between 1994-2000 before making the move to Spain at the age of just 13.
And speaking on Argentinean TV channel C5N, Fernandez said: “You are in our hearts and we have never seen you play in our country.
“Give us the pleasure of ending your career with Newell’s Old Boys, your club.”
And on who he admires between Diego Maradona and Messi Fernandez admitted he admired the 1986 World Cup winner.
He stated that his preference for the Napoli icon is due to the fact he graduated from the team he supports, Argentinos Junior.
“The great merit of Maradona is that he played alone against the world,” Fernandez added. “I’ve never seen a player like Maradona.
“I admire him deeply – more than Messi, to be honest, because he comes from the Argentinos’ youth. He was a kind of gladiator, with incredible strength.”
Newell’s fans held a spectacular parade on the streets of Rosario on Thursday in the hope of showing Messi how much it would mean for them for him to move to the club.
Club vice-president Cristian D’Amico told TyC Sports: “Maradona came and everyone believed it was impossible. What Newell’s fan doesn’t have the dream to see the greatest in our shirt
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Africa: WHO COVID-19 Africa Update (30 September 2020) October 1, 2020
- Coronavirus - South Africa: Science and Innovation on plan for South Africa to achieve population immunity against Coronavirus COVID-19 October 1, 2020
- Coronavirus - Ethiopia: COVID-19 reported cases in Ethiopia (30 September 2020) October 1, 2020
- Coronavirus - Kenya: COVID-19 Update (30 September 2020) October 1, 2020
- Coronavirus - Malawi: COVID-19 Daily Information Update (30th September 2020) October 1, 2020
- Statement from Dr Matshidiso Moeti, World Health Organization (WHO) Regional Director for Africa, on Sexual Abuse and Exploitation Allegations in the North Kivu Ebola Response October 1, 2020
- Human rights defenders from Iran and Belarus among 2020 Right Livelihood Laureates October 1, 2020
- Webb Fontaine Awarded ‘Certificate of Appreciation’ by Ethiopian Customs Commission for Successful Launch of Electronic Customs Management System October 1, 2020
- World Coffee Day: Nestlé Helps Boost Coffee Production in Africa October 1, 2020
- 60 Years After Independence Nigeria’s Energy Industry Hasn’t Realized Its Promise — But It’s Getting Closer (By NJ Ayuk) September 30, 2020
celebrity radar - gossips4 weeks ago
Popular Yoruba Actor, Kanran Smiles Again, gets Car, Cash, Property Worth Millions (video)
Metro1 month ago
8 People killed in Edo over ₦100
Sports4 weeks ago
Prophet TB Joshua Speaks To Messi
celebrity radar - gossips1 month ago
BREAKING: Names of the Three Cabin Crew Revealed As Third Person Onboard Helicopter Crash Dies In Hospital