Kidnappers have abducted Rev. Fr. Francis Ugoo Egbebu, the parish priest of St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, Umuola, Amaigbo, Nwangele Local Government Area of Imo State.
Reports from the Catholic Diocese of Orlu, where Rev. Fr. Egbebu is serving, indicated that the priest was last seen driving out of the parish last Monday morning.
Although it was not clear at press time the exact location the priest was picked up by the hoodlums, it was gathered that the kidnappers had made an initial contact with close relations of the priest and demanded N5 million ransom.
it was also gathered that Rev. Fr. Egbebu, who is the first vicar of the parish, resumed duties on November 2014, when the young parish was created and inaugurated by the Catholic Bishop of Orlu Diocese, Most Rev. Augustine Ukwuoma.
Confirming the kidnap to newsmen, the Parish Council Chairman, Engr. Adolphus Ogbonna, said: “We have heard the news of the kidnap of our parish priest.
“Some people say he was kidnapped around Owerri, while others claim he was kidnapped in our community. We are filled with anxiety and sorrow over the incident.”
While affirming that the kidnappers had made a N5 million demand, the Parish Council Chairman, however, urged the parishioners to remain calm and be prayerful.
Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Andrew Enwerem, not only confirmed the incident but also affirmed that the command was already on the trail of the kidnappers.
He said: “The command has received the report about the kidnap of the priest. We are still on the trail of the kidnappers.”
However, Imo State government has blamed the resurgence of kidnapping and other serious crimes on youths armed by politicians to fight election battles.
Mr. Sam Onwuemeodo, Chief Press Secretary to Governor Rochas Okorocha, said: “The elections are over, but youths have not returned the arms.”
He said this explained why there was a renewed resurgence of kidnapping.
Cover Of The Week
- Cornavirus - Kenya: Total of 110 confirmed coronavirus Cases April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Sudan: As of 01 April 2020, seven cases of confirmed COVID-19 reported in Sudan April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Ethiopia: Notification note on COVID-19 situational update- April 2, 2020 April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Zimbabwe: 8 confirmed cases as at 1 April April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Ghana: Situation Update, Confirmed Covid-19 Cases in Ghana as at 02 April 2020, 14:00hrs April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - South Africa: Ministers Blade Nzimande and Zweli Mkhize postpone impact of Covid-19 on South Africans survey April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: WHO concerned as COVID-19 cases accelerate in Africa April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: Update April 2, 2020
- United Nations (UN) Human Rights Committee publishes findings on Central African Republic, Portugal, Tunisia, Uzbekistan and Dominica April 2, 2020
celebrity radar - gossips3 months ago
Apostle Omotosho Releases Shocking 57 Prophecies For 2020
Sports7 months ago
Winners emerge in the 2019 Nigerian and African Freestyle Football Championship
Entertainment6 months ago
“Why Ultrabest Dance School is the best in Nigeria”- Juliet Ugwoeje
Fashion/Lifestyle4 months ago
Face Of Universe Nigeria Beauty pageant maiden edition Registration kicks off January 20th