Connect with us

news

LAGOS TO REGRASS TESLIM BALOGUN, CAMPUS MINI STADIUM TO HOST INT’L MATCHES

Published

on

 

…To Set Up Three Viewing Centres For FIFA World Cup Tourney

The Lagos State Government on Wednesday said that plans are underway to replace the artificial turf at the Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere and Campus Mini Stadium, Lagos Island with natural grass in preparation for the facilities to meet the required standard to host the Confederation of African Football (CAF) matches.

Speaking at the ongoing annual Ministerial Press Briefing to mark the third anniversary of Governor Akinwunmi Ambode’s administration held at Bagauda Kaltho Press Centre in Alausa, Chairman of Lagos State Sports Commission, Mr. Kweku Adedayo Tandoh said the development was in line with the commitment of the present administration towards providing world class sporting facilities.

He said that Governor Ambode had already given approval for the comprehensive renovation of Campos Mini Stadium in Lagos Island, Teslim Balogun Stadium, Surulere; Mobolaji Johnson Sports Centre, Rowe Park, Yaba; Isheri Football Field/Swimming Pool, and Ijede Mini Stadium, Ikorodu.

He said the State Government has also begun the process to complete the upgrade of the Agege Stadium with the covering of the remaining seats at the facility.

He said within the period under review, the State Government awarded contracts for transformation of Onikan Stadium to an all-covered ultra-modern international stadium with FIFA certified artificial turf and multipurpose arena for entertainment concerts with capacity to accommodate 10,000 people, while preliminary works had already commenced on the construction of Maracana Stadium in Ajegunle.

On the request by the State Government to the Federal Government to release the National Stadium, Surulere, Tandoh said the process for retrofitting and upgrading of the facility to host international sporting tournaments was ongoing.

Giving details, Tandoh said: “You would recall that the Lagos State Government signified interest in taking over completely the National Stadium and the Governor did not just say it, he actually met with the Minister of Sports and a tour of the facility was carried out.

“One thing later developed and there were signs and signals that the Governor received that they were not actually ready to hand over the Stadium to us rather it seems as if they just wanted a concession agreement where the State Government would spend the money, get it fixed while the Federal Government would still be in place but that is not what Lagos State Government wants.

“So, during the visit of the President to Lagos State few weeks ago, the Governor at the State Dinner was able to grouch the intention again and he mentioned it in his speech to the President and the President verbally gave approval that that was going to be in place. Just yesterday, the Governor directed that I proceed to Abuja next week to deliver some communications that are necessary to put in place a formal handover of the National Stadium to Lagos State Government. We are grateful that this time they will give it to us on the terms that the Lagos State Government has requested for.”

He said it was also significant to report that the State Government has concluded plans to establish three viewing centres across the State for fans to watch world cup matches free of charge.

“Just yesterday, Governor Ambode approved that we should establish three viewing centres in Mushin, Alimosho and Ajegunle. The centres will be in place for the duration of world cup and will serve as venues where people in those areas can watch world cup matches free of charge,” Tandoh said.

He said approval had also been given for the employment of full time coaches as well as contract coaches, while training grants were also paid for a total of 300 state athletes in individual sports, combat sports, team sports, racket sports, traditional sports, para sports and deaf sports.

He added that as a result of the deliberate policies put in place, many of the athletes produced at sport tournaments organised in the State eventually ended up representing the country at international tournaments, just as he assured that government would continue to put efforts in place to promote sports at the grassroots.

On the street soccer championship, Tandoh said the sponsor of the tournament initially pulled out of the sponsorship due to financial constraint, but that talks have been activated to reintroduce the competition, among other local soccer championships.

Besides, he said as part of efforts to reposition the Commission, a four-year strategic sports development plan had already been approved for development within 16 weeks in partnership with PricewaterhouseCoopers Limited, adding that the plan would engender development of a strategy plan, staff capability assessment and performance management framework development.

news

Journalists for Good Governance Shines Searchlight on Local Government Administration

Published

on

Journalists for Good Governance Shines Searchlight on Local Government Administration

…Calls for Accountability in Nigeria’s Grassroots Governance

 

LAGOS, Nigeria — A civil society coalition known as Journalists for Good Governance(JGG) has intensified public debate on transparency and accountability within Nigeria’s local government system, urging media professionals, civil society actors, and citizens to hold grassroots leaders accountable.

Speaking an event in Lagos recently, the acting chairman of the society, Comrade Bunmi Obarotimi said that despite reforms such as the Supreme Court’s 2024 ruling granting financial autonomy to all 774 Local Government Areas (LGAs), systemic challenges continues to hinder effective service delivery and responsible stewardship of public funds.

“Local governments are the closest tier of government to the people — yet too often they remain the least transparent. Without civic oversight and vibrant media, promises of autonomy ring hollow.” the acting chairman said.

The Journalist for Good Governance emphasised crucial roles that journalists can play in uncovering discrepancies in council spending, flagging poor service delivery, and educating citizens on their rights. Their call comes amid wider efforts by media and civic organisations to bridge accountability gaps. The civil society initiatives had previously launched monitoring campaigns to track local government expenditures and have been quietly advocating for transparency in how public money is deployed.

The leaders of the Journalists for Good Governance (JGG) highlighted the importance of physical assessment and citizens engagement on projects to boost people’s confidence, urging local councils to adopt open data platforms and proactive information dissemination in compliance with the Freedom of Information Act. Experts say the majority of LGAs currently lack operational websites or digital portals, further limiting public scrutiny.

The Journalists for Good Governance initiative aligns with sustained advocacy by civil society groups and governance experts calling for a collective approach to strengthening democratic accountability, and has decided to engage in critical and holistic assessments of how Local Governments is being run and the impact and quality of projects they embark-on and to address deficits in transparency and public trust.
Meanwhile, some state governments have signalled support for improved community engagement. In Lagos State, authorities reiterated a commitment to enhancing community media platforms as vehicles for civic participation and accountability at the grassroots level.

The renewed spotlight on local government administration has reignited public debate over fiscal responsibility and priorities. Controversies such as the widely criticised Adamawa council chairmen’s wives trip to Istanbul — which drew public outrage for perceived misuse of public funds — underscore why watchdog groups say stronger oversight mechanisms are urgently needed at the grassroots.
Citizens and activists have welcomed the journalists’ initiative, calling for sustained media engagement that goes beyond headlines to influence policy and accountability reform.
The civic rights advocates note that real change will require robust legal frameworks, a free press, and empowered communities equipped to demand transparency at every level of governance.
As Journalists for Good Governance mobilises its members, the coming months are likely to see heightened media attention on grassroots administration — from council budgets and service delivery to the enforcement of public information laws and digital transparency initiatives.

Continue Reading

news

ANOTHER PROPHECY FULFILLMENT BY PROPHET KINGSLEY AITAFO OVER THE EXIT OF DR. KENOLY, ANNOUNCING FEBRUARY’S OPEN PROPHETIC REVIVAL

Published

on

ANOTHER PROPHECY FULFILLMENT BY PROPHET KINGSLEY AITAFO OVER THE EXIT OF DR. KENOLY, ANNOUNCING FEBRUARY’S OPEN PROPHETIC REVIVAL

ANOTHER PROPHECY FULFILLMENT BY PROPHET KINGSLEY AITAFO OVER THE EXIT OF DR. KENOLY, ANNOUNCING FEBRUARY’S OPEN PROPHETIC REVIVAL

 

– Another Prophecy Fulfillment by Prophet Kingsley Aitafo Following the Passing of Ron Kenoly Ahead of February Open Prophetic Revival

 

– Prophet Kingsley Aitafo Records Another Prophecy Fulfillment as February Open Prophetic Revival Is Announced

 

In the released prophecies for 2026, renowned Nigerian cleric, Prophet Kingsley Aitafo, shared a series of revelations touching on Nigeria’s economy, global events, political transitions, natural disasters, religious transformations, and the future of world leaders.

 

 

During a special prophetic session, the prophet stated that he foresaw the departure of two world-renowned musicians in 2026 and urged the Nigerian people and the global community to pray for them.

 

ANOTHER PROPHECY FULFILLMENT BY PROPHET KINGSLEY AITAFO OVER THE EXIT OF DR. KENOLY, ANNOUNCING FEBRUARY’S OPEN PROPHETIC REVIVAL

 

He urged Nigerians and everyone around the globe to pray for the musicians, among other prophecies, and already gave insight concerning them.

 

On February 3, 2026, American gospel singer, songwriter, and worship leader Ron Kenoly passed away at the age of 81. Widely known as the “Professor of Praise,” Kenoly was celebrated for anthems such as “Majesty” and “Lift Him Up,” which have significantly influenced modern congregational worship around the world.

 

 

He was recognized as a pioneer of the contemporary praise and worship movement, leading Scripture-based worship services that became widely adopted in churches across different nations and cultures.

 

The development has been described by followers of Prophet Kingsley Aitafo as a confirmation of the prophecy earlier declared in the year.

 

Meanwhile, Prophet Kingsley Aitafo, leader and shepherd in charge of Oneness in Christ, in conjunction with CCC Living Grace Tabernacle, invites everyone to its February Open Revival. It is a prophetic service determined to change lives through miracles, healings, signs, and wonders.

 

 

It is not an ordinary service; it is another time for a divine encounter where your faith is strengthened, prayers are answered, and breakthroughs and favour are about to rain. With its theme — Jesus Christ is the same forever — the revival is promised to release the power of Jesus Christ like never before. It is a period of shift and divine encounter.

 

This revival service is said to hold on the 25th of February, 2026, from 5pm – 8pm at 20, Showole Street, Ewupe, Singer Sango, Ogun State.

 

It is a season where God is ready to reveal Himself like never before. Members of the public are invited to attend.

Continue Reading

news

GEN CHRISTOPHER GWABIN MUSA SUPPORT INITIATIVE COMMENDS STATE-FEDERAL COLLABORATION IN ZAMFARA

Published

on

GEN CHRISTOPHER GWABIN MUSA SUPPORT INITIATIVE COMMENDS STATE-FEDERAL COLLABORATION IN ZAMFARA

 

The Gen Christopher Gwabin Musa Support Initiative (GCGMSI) has commended the Zamfara State Government for its decisive contribution to security operations through the donation of newly acquired armoured personnel carriers (APCs), surveillance drones, and other critical operational equipment to troops and security agencies in the state.

 

This commendation was contained in a statement signed by the Convener of the GCGMSI, Ibrahim Dahiru Danfulani, Sadaukin Garkuwan Keffi/Betara Biu, and made available to the press.

 

The equipment was formally commissioned on Wednesday, February 18, by the Grand Patron of the GCGMSI and Minister of Defence, General Christopher Gwabin Musa, OFR (rtd.), in a ceremony at the Government House, Gusau. The event was attended by senior military officers, heads of security agencies, and top officials of the Zamfara State Government.

 

The GCGMSI, in its statement, hailed the donation as a “transformative and timely intervention” that aligns perfectly with its core objective of advocating for and supporting tangible measures that enhance the operational capacity and welfare of Nigeria’s security forces. The Initiative praised Governor Dauda Lawal’s administration for moving beyond rhetoric to actionable, material support, describing the move as a “blueprint for state-level collaboration in national security.”

 

“The provision of these assets by the Zamfara State Government is a testament to visionary leadership and a profound commitment to the peace and stability of its people,” the GCGMSI statement read. “It represents the exact kind of synergistic partnership between state and federal authorities that the GCGMSI champions. This initiative will significantly close operational gaps, boost the confidence of our gallant troops, and send a strong message to criminal elements.”

 

Speaking at the commissioning, General Musa emphasized that sustained collaboration is indispensable in confronting the nation’s evolving security challenges. He specifically commended Governor Lawal for his proactive support.

 

“Governor Dauda Lawal has demonstrated exemplary leadership and an unwavering dedication to the security of Zamfara State,” the Defence Minister stated. “The provision of these armoured vehicles, surveillance drones, and other operational equipment will undoubtedly boost the morale and operational effectiveness of our troops and other security agencies on the ground. This is a commendable effort that should be emulated by others.”

 

The newly commissioned assets, which include multiple APCs and advanced surveillance drones, are expected to dramatically enhance the mobility, protection, intelligence-gathering, and rapid response capabilities of security forces, particularly in the state’s remote and difficult terrains where anti-banditry operations are ongoing.

 

In his remarks, Governor Lawal reiterated his administration’s steadfast commitment to being a reliable partner in the security architecture. He urged security agencies to deploy the new resources responsibly and effectively to safeguard lives and property.

 

The Federal Government, through the Ministry of Defence, reaffirmed its commitment to continuing and deepening such partnerships with state governments across the nation to strengthen coordination and resource allocation in the collective fight against insecurity.

 

The GCGMSI concluded its statement by urging other state governments to take a cue from Zamfara’s “bold and pragmatic” approach, affirming that such concrete support is vital for achieving lasting peace and security across Nigeria.

Continue Reading

Cover Of The Week

Trending