Three persons, a female and two males, on Tuesday lost their lives in a multiple accident involving an articulated vehicle and nine others along the Upper Iweka road, Onitsha in Anambra.
Mr Sunday Ajayi, the state Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), while confirming the incident, said nine casualties were taken to three hospitals.
Ajayi said the accident occurred at the Lagos Park axis of the Upper Iweka road at about 10.15 a.m.
“As at the time of reporting, we had nine casualties in three hospitals namely: Toronto Hospital, St. John Hospital and Bethsaida Specialist Hospital, all in Onitsha.
“Three persons have been confirmed dead while six others are seriously injured but are being treated in those hospitals,” Ajayi said.
The sector commander said the ‘stressed’ articulated vehicle with registration number ENU69XY which was heading toward the Onitsha Bridgehead had a brake failure and rammed into several other vehicles on the road.
“You will appreciate the fact that the proactive measure we took saved a lot of lives here today.
“We have sensitised people on this axis against selling or parking along the road.
“I want to make it clear that the solution to road carnage is positive attitude of people driving on our roads,” Ajayi said.
The sector commander said two commercial motorcycles, four commercial buses, a commercial tricycle, one RAV 4 SUV and a Toyota Hilux vehicles were involved in the multiple crashes.
An eyewitness told NAN that the casualties also included a roadside bread seller, an ‘Okpa’ seller and a passerby. (NAN)
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Eswatini: COVID-19 daily update (12 June 2021) June 13, 2021
- Residents of Mogadishu and surrounding areas meet for peacebuilding dialogue June 13, 2021
- Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs, ILO and UNICEF commit to ending Child Labour in Somalia June 13, 2021
- Joint UN Press Release - UN agencies in Sudan reach conflict-affected communities in non-government-controlled areas for first time in a decade June 13, 2021
- Coronavirus - Rwanda: COVID-19 update (12 June 2021) June 13, 2021
- The Lionesses of Cameroon win the return Test Match against Burkina Faso June 13, 2021
- Tackling surges in severe COVID-19 cases in Africa June 12, 2021
- Coronavirus: African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases as of 12 June 2021, 9 am EAT June 12, 2021
- Coronavirus - Namibia: COVID-19 update (11 June 2021) June 12, 2021
- Coronavirus - Sierra Leone: COVID-19 update (11 June 2021) June 12, 2021
Politics7 months ago
US SUPREME COURT DECISION CONFIRMS TB JOSHUA PROPHECY
religion6 months ago
Kidnapping In Aso Rock, CBN Governor Indictment, Death Of Governor, Others – Primate Ayodele Fearful 2021 Prophecies
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
Profile of New Chief of Army Staff Maj Gen Ibrahim Attahiru
Fashion/Lifestyle2 months ago
How To Make a Girl Horny Fast – 9 Easy Tricks