By Ifeoma Ikem
Nigeria first indigenous charity organizations, the International Women’s Society(IWS) Nigeria is set for a milestone event in its 62nd year of empowering disenfranchised women, girls and children
The epoch making event is in collaboration with the embassy of Hungary, Trade office and Twins Action Aid International. The special feature of the cultural festival is the support Twins Initiative, an education based idea for out of school Twins or where the dis-empowered twin is a girl.
According to statistics released by United Nations, over 10million children are out school, 5% of which are twins or multiple births, which multiply the financial burden. .
Only 66% of 15-24 years old are literate with an 18% disparity between male and females .
A recent study found that families with a multiple births are twice as likely as families of singletons to report difficult financial pressure.
63% of multiple birth families reported being financially worse off after their babies were born, compared to 40% of other births. 62nd president IWS Nigeria, Mrs Nkoli Ogbolu, disclosed this that herself is a mother of grown up twin sons says she knows too well the pain of rearing two babies from the get-go. She empathises with mothers who are able to raise their twins and educate them well.
Nkoli said there is the need for well meaning Nigerians and expat to join hands in raising funds for the education of this unique people. To make an impact, the IWS, in conjuction with the Hungaria embassy and Twins Action Aid International are holding a twins festival (a Cultural Exchange Event) on Sunday 19th May 2019 from 2pm-7pm, at the Hungarian Trade Mission in Ikoyi. Tagged The May Event Twins Festival with Hungary, this initiative is the brainchild of IWS Nigeria whose members are made of twins, mothers of twins, sisters of twins and daughters of twins. We even have a set of twins as part of our executive committee.
Only 55k is required to sponsor a child in a public school for a year and that has to be double as one cannot progress without the other.
Interested members of the public twins from all walks of life and interested donors, sponsors and well wishers are all welcome to network, interact and celebrate twins, indigenous and foreign business owners and members of international community. Attendance is free and it promises to be a fun -filled event.
Saraki Expresses displeasure of the forfeiture of his properties to the Federal government
Sagamites Club Announce Business Support Initiative
Regina Daniels hubby, Prince Ned Nwoko Splashes Millions on 50 Entrepreneurs
IMF supports the Closure of the Nigerian border- Minister of Finance
Nigeria Wont Progress Until They Apologize To Igbo’s”- Femi Fani Kayode
Cover Of The Week
- Massey Ferguson lends support to South Africa’s emerging farmers October 22, 2019
- Telecoming will attend AfricaCom 2019 to present the new digital entertainment offer October 22, 2019
- Health clinic gets a new roof in rural Mozambique October 21, 2019
- Egyptian Ambassador calls on Deputy Foreign Minister October 21, 2019
- UN Deputy Secretary-General's remarks at launch of the Ethiopian Chapter of the African Women Leaders Network October 21, 2019
- 9th Meeting of the Steering Committee of the United Nations Integrated Strategy for the Sahel (UNISS) October 21, 2019
- Airtel Africa announces partnership with Ecobank Group to allow Airtel Money customers to improve their access to mobile financial services October 21, 2019
- Report: National Situation Analysis of Children and Women in Ethiopia October 21, 2019
- South Sudan: Troika Statement, October 2019 October 21, 2019
- KnowBe4 Africa goes continental with Cyber Security Africa October 21, 2019
Business6 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Politics5 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS
Crime6 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others
Interviews4 months ago
“Mko, Adedibu, Oba Abimbola Jibola and I were the Key Players Behind June 12”-Chief Abimbola Aboderin