Saharaweekly reports that popular Yoruba activist, Sunday Igboho has been favoured by an Oyo state high court against the department of state security and the attorney general of the federation over plans to arrest him.
The court also restrained DSS and AGF from blocking bank accounts of the Yoruba rights activist.
Justice Ladiean Akintola gave the order following an ex-parte motion moved by his lawyer, Yomi Aliu (SAN), at the court on Wednesday.
“The court has ordered that he must not be arrested, intimidated, harassed, detained, or killed. The court also said that his account should not be blocked,” Yomi Aliu said.
“The court has proved itself as the defender of the masses. The court has granted permission for him to exercise his fundamental human right of free movement.
“He can now walk freely as a Nigerian and his house must not be attacked. AGF is also a party in this case. I m sure he will obey this judgment. He is a senior advocate. I urge the government to be law-abiding,” he added.
Igboho had through his counsel, Chief Yomi Aliyyu ( SAN), filed an application before the court asking for N5bn damages for the destruction of his cars and residence in Ibadan during July 1 raid on his residence by the Department of State Services.
He also asked the court to stop the Attorney General of the Federation, DSS and other security agencies from arresting him or infringing on his fundamental human rights.
Igboho had prayed for, “An order of injunction restraining the respondents, their agents, privies and associates in other security forces and/or anybody acting on their behalf and/or instructions from arresting, detaining, molesting, harassing and/or in any way interfering with his to personal liberty, freedom of movement of Chief Sunday Adeyemo aka Sunday Igboho, enjoyment of his property without fear of invasion of his home by the respondents and their agents,” among others.
The court adjourned the suit until August 18.
Cover Of The Week
- Nearly 1 in 2 South African households is subscribed to SVOD September 21, 2021
- Recent political and community leaders retreat in Greater Pibor tackles issue of child marriages September 20, 2021
- Liberia: Ministry of Health, Consortium on Newborn Screening in Africa (CONSA) Launch Newborn Screening for Sickle Cell Disease In Liberia September 20, 2021
- Liberia: Ministry of Health, Liberia Board for Nursing and Midwifery (LBNM) Launch Digital Online Licensing Examinations System September 20, 2021
- Equatorial Guinea Secretary of State of Planning Will Lead a Strong Finance Delegation to African Energy Week in Cape Town September 20, 2021
- Prime Minister of Uganda Meets Ambassador of Qatar September 20, 2021
- Coronavirus - Zambia: COVID-19 Statistics Daily Status Update (20 September 2021) September 20, 2021
- Coronavirus - South Africa: New COVID-19 Infections on a Downward Trend September 20, 2021
- The Visit of the Indonesian Consul General to Cape Town at The Cape Town Port for Life Skills Activities September 20, 2021
- Djibouti Signs its First Country Programme Framework (CPF) for 2022-2027 September 20, 2021
Fashion/Lifestyle5 months ago
How To Make a Girl Horny Fast – 9 Easy Tricks
Politics7 months ago
EKITI 2022:MAKING A CASE FOR A NEW FACE WITH NEW IDEAS IN STATE GOVERNANCE
celebrity radar - gossips7 months ago
Otunba Kehinde Oloyede is Bereaved!
Fashion/Lifestyle7 months ago
Rotary Recognizes exemplary youths across Nigeria