news
‘Pay us our N1.1 Trillion debt or we strike’- ASUU threatens FG
The Academic Staff Union of Universities on Thursday called on the Federal Government to effect the payment of N1.1tn which had been earmarked for the funding of public universities for the last six years.
The union also said it had commenced mobilisation of its members in all the zones for a strike which it said would begin soon.
Speaking during a press briefing in Jos, the Plateau State capital, the coordinator of ASUU, Bauchi Zone, Prof. Lawan Abubakar, also faulted the claim by the Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmed, that the Federal Government had approved the release of N20bn to the union, saying the union did not collect grant from the government, thus, the money was for the universities.
The zone comprises Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi; Bauchi State University; Federal University, Kashere; Gombe State University; University of Jos; and Plateau State University, Bokkos.
“What will N20bn do for the 64 public universities in this country? What we want now is the N1.1tn. That is the amount that the government should release; not the N20bn,” Abubakar said.
According to the documents released by ASUU, the Federal Government was to provide funds for the revitalisation of the university system between 2013 and 2018. Under the arrangement, the universities were to get N200bn funding in 2013, while N220bn was earmarked for 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.
Also, a dedicated revitalisation account was to be opened at the Central Bank of Nigeria by the Federal Government, and funds paid on a quarterly basis from which the universities would draw the funds.
But while frowning upon the refusal of the Federal Government to honour the agreement, Abubakar stated, “I cannot be definite on the date for the commencement of the strike action. We are still mobilising. We will submit a report on this mobilisation from the various zones and the national leadership will invite the National Executive Council that will now take that decision.
“The N20bn claim by the Minister of Finance was one of the conditions we gave and agreed upon with government in 2017 to suspend the strike then. And the government promised that it was going to release the N20bn in two weeks. That was in 2017, and here we are in September 2018. When the government sensed that we were mobilising our members to take action on those issues, including the N20bn, which was just a palliative, it decided to be political.”
The zone also said it was not comfortable with Wale Babalakin (SAN) as the leader of the government’s renegotiation team, alleging that Babalakin had been antagonistic of the process by being absent from meetings, among other things.
He added, “The kind of individual we want to head the government team must be a stakeholder in the Nigerian public university system and must be committed to solving the problems that we have in the university. With that and with a change in the personality that has such interest, we will simply come back to the table and continue with the renegotiation.”
Meanwhile, the coordinator of Port Harcourt Zone of the union, Uzo Onyebinama, has described the proposed education bank and tuition scheme by the Federal Government as a ploy to commercialise public university education and serve as an incentive for private universities in the country.
Speaking with journalists at the University of Port Harcourt on Thursday, Onyebinama explained that the scheme, if approved, would deny poor people access to higher education.
He added that the Federal Government’s introduction of the scheme into the renegotiation of the 2009 agreement process was an attempt to blackmail the union before the students.
He, therefore, called on the Federal Government to restart the renegotiation process by reconstituting the current government team and implementing the outstanding components of the 2017 Memorandum of Agreement, while imploring governors to tackle the issue of underfunding and desist from interfering in the administration of state universities.
news
APC Ondo North Primary: Reports Show ATM in Early Lead
Reports from the field in Ondo North Senatorial District indicate that voters, officers, and agents at the voting centers across the wards have put Abdul Tunji Mohammed (ATM) in the lead.
According to the current figures collated from the centers, ATM is polling with wider margins of votes
Going by these figures, ATM is poised to win all the six Local Government in the Senatorial Districtt.
We urge all party members and supporters to remain peaceful as collation continues.
news
Senate Leader Opeyemi Bamidele Hosts Ondo North Aspirant Abdul Tunji Mohammed, Backs Grassroots Development Agenda
Senate Leader Opeyemi Bamidele recently hosted Chief Abdul Tunji Mohammed (ATM), a prominent aspirant for the Ondo North senatorial seat.
The meeting highlighted a strategic alignment between progressive forces, with both leaders emphasizing a shared vision for grassroots development and legislative excellence.
Senator Bamidele, a respected figure in Nigerian politics, is recognized for his contributions to national cohesion and impactful policymaking, drawing on his experience as a legal luminary and human rights activist.
Chief Mohammed, an astute businessman and dedicated grassroots mobilizer, has made a notable impact on Ondo North through his philanthropic work and commitment to constituents’ welfare. His approach blends corporate discipline, economic ingenuity, and a deep concern for people—qualities that have reshaped the region’s political narrative.
The two leaders discussed the district’s critical needs, exploring avenues for socioeconomic growth, legislative reform, and stronger community integration. Senator Bamidele stressed the importance of supporting President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda, a sentiment echoed by Chief Mohammed.
The convergence of Chief Mohammed’s vision with Senator Bamidele’s legislative experience offers hope for Ondo North. This synergy between grassroots ambition and seasoned mentorship points to a promising future for the district’s representation in the Senate. With ATM’s drive and the guidance of leaders like Senator Bamidele, Ondo North is positioned for progress and transformative governance.
news
2027 Ondo North Senate: ATM secures Backing of Monarchs, Chiefs
APC Senatorial aspirant for Ondo North, Abdul Tunji Mohammed, popularly known as ATM, received a resounding endorsement on Thursday during a high-profile visit to Ikare-Akoko.
The endorsement came from the Olukare of Ikare, His Royal Majesty Oba Akadiri Momoh IV, the Owa Ale of Ikare, His Royal Majesty Oba Adeleke Adedoyin, and the Ikare Council of Chiefs, who described ATM as a credible son of the soil with the capacity to represent Ondo North effectively at the Senate.
Speaking at the palace, the Olukare commended ATM for his consistent engagement with the people and his track record in business and community development. “We have watched your contributions to Ondo North over the years. You are one of us, and we believe you have the experience and character to speak for our people in Abuja,” the monarch said.
The Owa Ale, in his remarks, stressed the need for unity and quality representation. He urge him to continue the help to the people at home that he’s doing. He urged other stakeholders to support aspirants with proven commitment to the district’s progress, noting that Ikare and Akoko land require strong voices at the National Assembly.
In his response, Abdul Tunji Mohammed thanked the monarchs and chiefs for their blessings and trust. He reaffirmed his commitment to prioritize infrastructure, education, healthcare, youth empowerment, and agricultural development if elected.
“Ikare is central to Ondo North, and your support strengthens my resolve to serve with integrity and results. I will not betray this trust. My campaign will remain issue-based, and my representation will reflect the hopes of our people,” ATM stated.
The visit was marked by prayers, cultural displays, and solidarity from party leaders, youth, and women groups across Ikare-Akoko.
-
news5 months agoWHO REALLY OWNS MONIEPOINT? The $290 Million Deal That Sold Nigeria’s Top Fintech to Foreign Interests
-
society3 weeks agoSOCIAL MEDIA IS NOT A BATTLEFIELD COMMAND – WHY THE NIGERIAN ARMY’S ACTION AGAINST JUSTICE CRACK IS A NATIONAL SECURITY IMPERATIVE
-
celebrity radar - gossips4 months agoDr. Chris Okafor Returns with Power and Fire of the Spirit -Mounts Grace Nation Altar with Fresh Anointing and Restoration Grace on February 1, 2026
-
celebrity radar - gossips5 months agoProphet Kingsley Aitafo Releases 2026 Prophecy: ‘Nigeria Will Rise, but the World Must Prepare for Turbulence’



You must be logged in to post a comment Login
You must log in to post a comment.