From left: The Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Saliu Adetunji; President of Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote; Ooni of Ife, Enitan Ogunwusi and the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Sa”ad Abubakar, at the 68th Foundation Day ceremony and conferment of honorary doctorate degrees, where Dangote was conferred with a Doctor of Science degree in Ibadan
Africa’s richest entrepreneur and President of Dangote Group, Alhaji Aliko Dangote has advocated Public Private Partnership (PPP) for the funding of tertiary education in Nigeria.
Dangote who was conferred with a honorary degree of Doctor of Science (D.Sc.), alongside two other eminent Nigerians, Professor Niyi Osundare and Chief Bode Amao, by the University of Ibadan (UI) at the 68th Foundation Day Ceremony of the university yesterday, asked that the university be accorded a special attention in this regard.
“I believe that the UI deserves special attention not just because of its status as Nigeria’s oldest university, but also because of its invaluable contribution to the transformation of society through creativity and innovation. With adequate funding, I believe the university will be able to compete favourably with the best universities in the world,” Dangote stated.
While stressing that the federal government alone could not shoulder the burden of funding tertiary education, Dangote reiterated the need for Public Private Partnership, saying, “This is where Public Private Partnership (PPP) comes in. I strongly believe the private sector must go beyond the payment of the 2% education levy to join hands with the state and federal governments in funding tertiary education in Nigeria.”
He donated N250 million to the UI, saying, “We hope that this token will go some way in assisting the university towards the completion of some ongoing projects,” and adding, “If there are two things that I am passionate about, they are education and entrepreneurship.”
Speaking earlier, the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ibadan, Professor Abel Idowu Olayinka had announced that the convocation ceremony was featuring the award of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Degrees on a total of 442 candidates spread over 11 faculties, two institutes and two centres.
OGUN GOVERNOR SWEARS IN SSG, CoS, CHARGES THEM ON GOOD GOVERNANCE
OGUN GOVERNOR EXTOLS VIRTUE OF OLOTA OF OTA
WE WILL MAKE OGUN AGRICULTURAL CAPITAL OF NIGERIA- DAPO ABIODUN
Dr Chris Okafor Stages another Powerful Prophetic and Deliverance ‘2 Night with the King’ conference in Lagos
Honourable Kayode Akiolu To Host Speaker of the House of Representatives.
Cover Of The Week
- The Power of Storytelling June 24, 2019
- U.S. Embassy Statement on June 22 Attacks June 24, 2019
- Africa Oil & Power to Honor Senegal President as “Africa Oil Man of the Year” June 23, 2019
- Uganda defeats Kenya in Elgon Cup June 23, 2019
- Statement attributable to the Spokesman for the Secretary-General on presidential elections in Mauritania June 21, 2019
- Over 2,100 Ethiopian Migrants return home from Yemen with Organization for Migration (IOM) support June 21, 2019
- Quality, Reliable and Comparable Data Critical for Migration Management and Governance: IOM Zimbabwe June 21, 2019
- Tanzania: Authorities rushing to pass bill to further repress human rights June 21, 2019
- UN Country Team and UNAMID deplore the looting and destruction of UN agency properties in Graida, South Darfur June 21, 2019
- Secretary-General appoints Yacoub El Hillo of Sudan as Deputy Special Representative for Libya June 21, 2019
celebrity radar - gossips4 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized4 months ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
Crime2 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others
Business2 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank