Sports: Gov Abiodun hosts Tobi Amusan, showers N5m, house on her
The Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun, on Tuesday, hosted the World, Commonwealth and African 100 metres hurdles, Oluwatobi Amusan and named her as the Ogun State Sport Ambassador.
A statement issued in Abeokuta by the Governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Kunle Somorin, on Tuesday said Gov. Abiodun equally announced a cash reward of N5m Naira and also gifted the queen of the tracks a house in Ijebu-Ode.
The governor had on the 26th day of April, 2021 adopted the star athlete, whose exploits were made known to the governor by the Minister of Youths and Sports, Sunday Dare.
Speaking further at the event held at his Oke Mosan Office, Governor Abiodun described Tobi Amusan as a role model to the girl-child and a practical example of a truism that what a man can do, a woman can even do better.
“So, you will be our Sports Ambassador; I am happy that you said you are not from any other state. You are from Ogun and not from Lagos and you want to come back home. We also want to ensure that you come back home.
“We want to assure you that as you come back home, you have a home here in the state. So, in view of that, we are also going to be presenting to you a home in Ijebu-Ode.
“On top of that, we will be giving you a small token, we will be donating to you a sum of five million naira,” he said.
Gov. Abiodun who noted that his administration is on cause to give the Ijebu-Ode Stadium the necessary facelift it needs, said that the call by the star athlete to use the stadium to train whenever she is in the country would further prompt his administration to fast track the rehabilitation of the stadium.
“We are in the process of rehabilitating a few of our sport facilities, I have spoken to the Minister of Sports and a few other people, but, now that we have one of our own who is saying that I want to train in that stadium, that puts us under a lot of pressure to ensure we prioritize Ijebu-Ode stadium because we want you to come and be training in that stadium,” the governor added.
While noting that his administration considers the role of women very important in all spheres of human endeavor, he said that the passing of a law to ensure the full emancipation of women in the state, is the beginning of an era where women get more responsibility.
The governor who noted that youths in the country can combine both sports and education without any disturbance, called on youths in the country to borrow a clue from the world champion who combined both and is doing well for herself.
Abiodun further described athletics as an avenue where discipline, leadership skills and inter-personal relationships can be learnt, adding that “Tobi has been able to succeed through a lot of discipline, hard work, persistence and a lot of faith in her ability”.
The governor stressed that his administration views the Sport Ambassador and world champion as a point of contact for other youths in the country who have lost faith in what hardwork, persistence, faith and diligence can achieve.
He noted that the story of the World, Commonwealth and African Champion would further educate those who still look at the combination of sports and education as a waste of time.
In her remarks, Tobi Amusan, while acknowledging the support of Governor Abiodun towards her success, called on the Federal Government to do more for athletes.
“All thanks to my governor for supporting me and I feel like the Federal Government can do the same when it comes to supporting athletes financially,” she said.
Her coach, Abiola Onakoya also noted that the world champion is already giving back to the society through an athletics development programme named Tobi Abiola Athletics Development in Ogun State.
The Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun had on the 26th day of April, 2021 adopted the star athlete, whose exploits were made known to the Governor by the Minister of Youths and Sports; Hon. Sunday Dare.
2023: Abiodun unveils campaign council, secretariat in Ogun
2023: Abiodun unveils campaign council, secretariat in Ogun
…promises issue based campaigns
Speaking at the unveiling of the Council and the commissioning of the State Campaign Secretariat at Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta, on Saturday, Abiodun said his administration has in the last three and a half years embarked on people’s oriented projects, saying his second term campaign would focus on how to deliver dividends of democracy to the people.
“We must engage in constructive and issue based campaign in line with the provisions of the electoral and rule of engagements. We have done more than enough projects to ease our campaign while we promiseto do more for the benefits of the people of Ogun State if voted into power again.
“As we proceed to meet our people to seek their votes in this campaign for all our candidates in the state, let me assure you all that our administration will remain unwaveringly committed to the equitable development of our state and the implementation of people oriented and purposeful infrastructure, in line with our policy of inclusiveness and good governance”, he said.
The governor noted that his government was pro-active by lowering the political temperature in the state by being tolerant and respectful of the activities of all political parties in Ogun.
“We have continued to create a level playing ground for all individuals irrespective of their political affiliations. This is unlike the previous administration that turned the period of campaign into War and brigandage”, he noted.
The governor enumerated the numerous projects and achievements recorded in the last three years and six months to include construction of over 800 kilometres of roads; affordable houses; renovation of schools and health facilities; youth and women empowerment; agriculture, among others.
On areas to focus on in his second term if voted next year, Governor Abiodun listed electrification to ensure uninterrupted power to the major cities, towns and industrial hubs; project light up Ogun; provision of water supply by carrying out the major overhauling of Arakanga
Water Works to make water available for the people of Abeokuta and its environs, among other projects.
He stated further that efforts would be geared towards sustaining the peaceful atmosphere of the state to attract more investors by deploying technology for surveillance and crime detection, noting that “Security to us is very important, as we understand that No investor will invest in an environment that is not secured. Hence, will continue to provide Hilux vans, Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC) and other logistics for our security agencies in the state”.
He stated further that a Special Intervention Programme that would benefit over 40, 000 people in the first instance, implementation of the multimodal transport master plan, as well as the completion of the Agro Cargo at Iperu Remo; construction of a Dry Port at Kajola and a logistics hub at Wasinmi; leveraging on the abundance of oil resources in Tongeji Island and Olokola, would be given due attention
He noted that the state under his watch would intensify efforts at gearing the Internally Generated Revenue Service (IGR) to be more revenue driven, in order to be able to implement his administration’s developmental agenda.
Abiodun, however, charged the campaign council members to live up to the expectation by winning Ogun for the progressives again in the presidential, gubernatorial, Senate, House of Reps and the House of Assembly elections, submitting that “our campaign must percolate to the grassroots for the good of our party”.
In his goodwill message, the former governor of Ogun State and the grand Patron of the Campaign Council, Olusegun Osoba, stressed the need for the people to collect their Permanent Voter’s Cards, as the available record shows that the south west has the highest number of unclaimed Voter’s Cards in the country.
He contended that Ogun State is the cradle of progressive ideals in the country, hence, the need for the party members to support and promote all the candidates in the forthcoming elections.
Also speaking, former governor Gbenga Daniel who described Governor Abiodun as a good chess player who was able to bring people of diverse political leanings together, said it was time for the people to come together and work for the good of the party in the coming elections.
The APC gubernatorial candidate in Oyo State, Senator Teslim Folarin, called on the members to put their house in order and carry out adequate marketing of their candidates from the president down to members of the House of Assembly respectively.
In his welcome address, the Ogun State Chairman of All Progressives Congress (APC), Yemi Sanusi stated that the Campaign Council covers all candidates seeking elective post in the 2023 general elections, urging members to work together and shun disunity to jointly achieve victory.
He admonished the candidates to buckle up and complement the efforts of the governor by working harder than in 2019 to achieve a landslide victory.
Parthian Partners wins Inter *Dealer Broker of the year, lauded for pioneering IDB model in Nigeria
Parthian Partners wins Inter *Dealer Broker of the year, lauded for pioneering IDB model in Nigeria*
Parthian Partners Limited, Nigeria’s first interdealer broker and founder of i-invest, the first fixed income investment app in Nigeria, has won the BusinessDay Banks and Financial Institutions (BAFI) Awards for the ‘Interdealer Broker of the Year 2022’ in recognition of its impact and contribution to the overall growth and stability of the fixed income market, its financial performance – credit rating affirmed Bbb+, as well as its innovativeness and growth across different product lines.
According to the organisers of BAFI, the Inter-Dealer Broker of the Year Award was initiated this year in recognition of the critical role this little-publicized corner of the fixed income market’s microstructure plays in ensuring its efficiency. “We congratulate Parthian Partners on the celebration of its tenth anniversary. Reading reports of how the journey of building the first interdealer broker in Nigeria, at a time when the regulations did not even exist, attests to the foresight and determination of the founding team and its backers. This is the type of grit to follow the path less travelled that we celebrate at the BAFI Awards,” they explained.
Commenting on the award, the Group Managing Director of Parthian Partners, Mr. Oluseye Olusoga thanked the staff of the company for their commitment to the actualisation of the company’s vision, while dedicating the award to the firm’s clients. “Since we pioneered the wholesale fixed income financial intermediary model in Nigeria 10 years ago, Parthian Partners has remained steadfast in its commitment to matching buyers and sellers, providing independent data to participants in the fixed income market, enabling confidence in transactions, creating liquidity and price discovery, as well as facilitating the unfettered flow of capital for an efficient market,” he said. He stated that the company will not rest on its laurels but will continue to provide the best services while increasing shareholder value and returns on investment.
Now in its 10th year, the BAFI Awards were created to recognise and celebrate organisations, teams and individuals that are achieving excellence in the delivery of financial services across the entire client and customer spectrum.
Full Inaugural Speech Of Osun State Gov., Adedamola Adeleke
Full Inaugural Speech Of Osun State Gov., Adedamola Adeleke
1. Today, I stand on the podium of history with a sacred pledge to God and the good people of Osun State that my intellect, passion and strength will be devoted to nothing but the welfare, peace and security of our people.
2. As I accept the mantle of leadership entrusted upon me by the people of our dear State, I am conscious of the enormous challenges and responsibilities ahead of me and will beginning from this hour work day and night with deep sense of purpose to be a servant to you all.
3. Our gathering here to witness the materialisation of a new era is not an accident of history. We are all programmed by the Almighty God to be what we have been, what we are and what we will be in future.
4. Let me use this occasion to salute the founding fathers of our dear state, all the past administrators and Governors of Osun state as well as everyone who has contributed one way or the other to the growth, stability and progress of our state in the last 31 years.
5. I equally salute our fallen heroes both at the national and state level for the great sacrifice they have made to have a country and a state to call our own.
6. I am well aware of the fact that my responsibility as the Governor and Chief Security Officer of Osun State entails meeting the legitimate expectations of our people. Therefore, I promise that those expectations of the workers, traders, artisans, farmers, business owners, students, pensioners, traditional and religious leaders and indeed all residents of Osun State will be met by the grace of God and the cooperation of everyone.
7. Under my watch as the Governor of Osun State, I will boldly correct all past injustice, corrupt acts or policies by any previous administration which are against the collective interest of our people.
8. Let me state here that from the education, health, mining Sector, agriculture, road infrastructure and supply of portable water, let it be known to all that it is no longer going to be business as usual. And I repeat, it is no longer business as usual.
9. Our administration will demonstrate a high sense of urgency, transparency, justice and innovation to tackle and solve the problems of poverty, illiteracy, disease, and poor infrastructure.
10. Your Governor will be a people’s Governor. I will be accessible, responsive, consultative and proactive in handling small and big matters of State Governance.
11. I know that as a product of the collective will of you my people, there is a heavy weight of history on my shoulders and I accept the urgency of your expectations, the depth of your aspirations and your conviction in me to build a better State.
DEVELOPMENT AGENDA FOR OSUN STATE
12. Ladies and Gentlemen, you will recall that our party, the Peoples Democratic Party campaigned on a five point agenda namely:
a. Welfare of workers and pensioners;
b. Boosting the state’s economy
c. Home-grown infrastructure policy;
d. People-focused policy on education, affordable Health Care, Security and Social Welfare;
e. Agro-Based Industrialization for Wealth and Job Creation.
13. While a detailed programme of action will soon be unveiled on each of these 5-point agenda, let me quickly give you some insights into our policy direction.
14. It is disheartening to see our State at the bottom of the national educational ratings especially in public primary and Secondary schools examinations. My administration will launch reform with direct focus on improvement of learning environment and outcome. Our target is to reverse the poor performance of students in public examinations within the next few years.
15. To achieve this target, we will prioritise in-service training and welfare of teachers, enhancement of school environment, entrenchment of discipline in the school system as well as involvement of the Parents-Teachers Association in our school administration system.
16. Our administration will soon convene an emergency Education Conference to articulate our blueprint on the restoration of the state’s education glory.
17. We regard as critical the need to boost wealth creation, job opportunities and food security through innovative agricultural reforms covering all the agricultural value chains.
18. Aside the introduction of modern agricultural practices, we will shift attention to agriculture for export to take advantage of global markets.
19. While we target agriculture export earnings, we will establish modern farmers’ markets where producers and off takers can transact businesses.
20. In our desire to diversify Osun economy, my administration will target the tourism sector to boost our GDP and create new jobs.
21. Osun State is the historical capital of the Yoruba people and it is my intention to develop a strong business model to transform this rich historical heritage into huge tourism. We will encourage and partner with the traditional institutions, business organisations and foreign partners to develop the culture and tourism industry which includes our beautiful waterfalls, the Osun Osogbo World Heritage site and many cultural festivals across the state.
WOMEN AND YOUTH DEVELOPMENT
22. Women and youths are important segments in our development programme. I had earlier set up a youth advisory council which has produced an impressive blueprint for youth development in Osun State. I plan to ensure speedy implementation of their recommendations. More importantly, let me assure our women that our administration will be gender – sensitive in all appointments.
23. The health sector in Osun State is in need of urgent attention. Our government will give premium attention to improvement of the Primary Health care services. We will improve the working conditions of health workers and expand the coverage of our health insurance scheme. We plan to establish a standard diagnostic centre using the Public Private Partnership model and adopt measures that will retain medical practitioners in Osun state.
CLIMATE CHANGE AND ICT
24. Our administration will collaborate with Development partners to address problems of environmental pollution and Climate Change. We will equally promote digital literacy, tech innovations and create opportunities for our teeming youths in the ICT sector.
LOCAL GOVERNMENT REFORMS
25. In line with our campaign manifesto, our government will ensure local government autonomy in line with the provisions of the Nigeria constitution.
26. We will restore the lost glory of our local governments in order to make them more responsive to the needs of the people at the grassroots.
27. All policies that are not favourable to the growth of effective local government administration will be reviewed in accordance with the law.
28. No form of illegality will be allowed to stand and all acts of impunity committed by the immediate past administration on local government administration will be reversed following due process.
THE PUBLIC SERVICE
29. My administration will restore the integrity of the civil service which has been bastardised through favouritism and political considerations.
30. We will give the civil service a better orientation with a view to restoring its professionalism. In doing this, we will be fair and firm as we act only in pursuance of public interest.
31. Let me therefore announce an immediate return to status quo of all fresh appointments, placements and other major decisions taken by the immediate past administration with effect from the 17th of July, 2022.
32. I wish to assure all labour unions in the state of our administration’s willingness to protect workers interest and promote their welfare at all times. We will be a labour friendly government.
33. We will embark on a security sector reform that will target crime prevention, detection, neighbourhood policing and better synergy among security agencies. The Amotekun Corps will be strengthened while our administration will ensure operational linkage between local hunters and the Amotekun Corps. A “Know Your Neighbour” security initiative will be implemented. By the grace of God, very soon, Osun will return to its old nature of being a haven of peace.
34. My Good People of Osun, since you elected me as your Governor on the 16th of July 2022, which the INEC announced on July 17th 2022, the former Governor, Alh Isiaka Gboyega Oyetola maliciously started putting road blocks to make things difficult and almost impossible for the new administration to serve you.
35. Mass employment were carried out without budgetary provisions for salary payments for the new employees; even when the state was struggling to pay salaries and deliver other services. Various hurried and criminally backdated Contracts were awarded and again without budgetary provisions.
36. Appointments of several Obas were hurriedly done without following due process, just to mention a few.
37. All efforts to get the Governor set up a Transition Committee and submit hand-over notes in line with best practices proved abortive.
38. It is therefore my desire to ask for your patience and understanding to give my administration a few weeks to review and sort out all the actions and malicious confusions which the immediate past administration has created since July 17th 2022. Those actions were indeed vindictive measures against the people of Osun State for voting them out of office.
39. Consequently, I hereby issue the following directives which will be backed up with appropriate Executive orders:
i. Immediate freezing of all government accounts in banks and other financial institutions
ii. Immediate establishment of a panel to carry out an inventory and recover all government assets
iii. An immediate establishment of a panel to review all appointments and major decisions of the immediate past administration taken after the 17th July, 2022
iv. An immediate reversal to the constitutionally recognised name of our state, Osun State. All government insignia, correspondences and signages should henceforth reflect Osun state rather than State of Osun which is unknown to the Nigerian constitution.
40. As I conclude this address, let me express my appreciation to the President and Commander-In-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR for allowing a conducive atmosphere for a peaceful, free and fair election in Osun state.
41. I thank the national leadership of our party, the Peoples Democratic Party under the able leadership of our Chairman, His Excellency Sen. Iyorchia Ayu and his National Working Committee for their immeasurable support.
42. I also thank our presidential candidate, His Excellency Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, GCON, Vice presidential candidate His Excellency Sen. Ifeanyi Okowa, CON, all PDP state Governors, the Minority caucuses of the Senate, House of Representatives and Osun State House of Assembly and other party stakeholders who stood by Osun state to reclaim our mandate which was stolen four years ago.
43. Let me also thank the state chapter of the PDP under the able leadership of Dr. Adekunle Akindele, the immediate past leadership under Hon. Sunday Bisi and all party leaders in the 30 local government areas and Ife East area office. I thank you for your steadfastness, loyalty and commitment to the ideals which the Peoples Democratic Party represents.
44. My deep sense of appreciation goes to my immediate family members beginning with my elder brother Dr, Adedeji Adeleke, my immediate elder sister Yeye Modupe Adeleke-Sanni, my wives Titi and Ngozi, my children, nephews and nieces especially David Adedeji Adeleke A.K.A. Davido for their love, support and sacrifice towards ensuring that we got this far. May your sacrifices never be in vain. I assure you that the selfless services of our late father Sen. Raji Ayoola Adeleke, our mother Prophetess Esther Adeleke and our late scion of the Adeleke family, the first Governor of Osun state, His Excellency Alhaji Isiaka Adetunji Adeleke will always guide my actions as I serve the good people of Osun state.
45. I must not end this address without appreciating the Nigerian judiciary and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for their uprightness, neutrality, professionalism and courage in protecting our democracy without fear or favour.
46. I commend our security agencies for providing a peaceful and conducive atmosphere before, during and after the electoral process.
47. Finally, I extend my thanks to party men and women, friends, associates, supporters across party lines, the Media and the courageous Osun voters who have stood resolutely to give and defend this mandate. I am most sincerely grateful.
48. Ladies and Gentlemen, I have a grand vision of a new Osun state. But I cannot do it alone. I therefore seek the support and cooperation of everyone to make this happen.
49. I hereby extend a strong hand of fellowship to the other arms of governments, the Legislature and the Judiciary. As a former lawmaker and a graduate of Criminal Justice, I appreciate the importance of collaboration among the Executive, the Legislature and the Judiciary.
50. I call on all political parties to unite in the best interest of the state. Election is over. Now is the time for governance. We are open to fresh ideas in line with our manifesto.
51. For the purpose of emphasis, I will be a Governor for all Osun people regardless of differences in language, faith, political affiliation or any other considerations.
52. Welcome to a new Osun State, The State of The Living Spring.
53. Thank you and God bless you all
Cover Of The Week
- Qatar: Assistant Foreign Minister for Regional Affairs Meets British Officials January 30, 2023
- FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023™ targets over 100,000 fans for epic opening matchday January 30, 2023
- South Africa: Committee for Section 194 Heard Evidence from Public Protector of Zambia January 30, 2023
- World Health Organization (WHO) calls for more action to end ‘cycles of poverty and stigma’ related to tropical diseases January 30, 2023
- United States funding to help World Food Programme (WFP) fight food insecurity in Sierra Leone January 30, 2023
- Post-cyclone Reconstruction Continues in Mozambique January 30, 2023
- Sudan political process enters a decisive phase requiring wide participation January 30, 2023
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Staff and the Cameroonian Authorities have Reached Staff-Level Agreement on the Third Review of the Extended Credit Facility and Extended Fund Facility for Cameroon January 30, 2023
- On World Neglected Tropical Disease (NTD) Day, over US$7 million new funding announced to expand efforts towards sleeping sickness elimination in nine African nations January 30, 2023
- Victories of Eritrean cyclists at several competitions January 30, 2023
Crime6 months ago
More Trouble In Abuja As Gunmen Invade Chicken Republic, Snatch Cars, Phones
Politics6 months ago
APC Loses Majority As 12 Senators Submit Defection Letter To Senate President, Ahmed Lawan
Politics3 months ago
Nigerians in the Diaspora will play a robust role in my administration – Tinubu
celebrity radar - gossips4 weeks ago
Intercontinental Prophet, Joshua Iginla Reveals God’s mind on Tinubu, Wike, Peter obi and others As he released 2023 prophecies