THE 61ST FIRSTBANK LAGOS AMATEUR OPEN GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP TEES OFF THIS FRIDAY
In furtherance of its commitment to the development of sports in Nigeria, First Bank of Nigeria Limited has announced that the 61st edition of the FirstBank sponsored Lagos Amateur Golf Championship has been scheduled to tee-off at the golf section of Ikoyi Club 1938 on Friday 18th, to Sunday 20th of November 2022.
To be played over 54-holes (3-days), the FirstBank Lagos Amateur Open Golf Championship is a World Amateur Golf Ranking (WAGR) listed competition that attracts the best golfers from the amateur scene, not only in Nigeria but across the world. The emerging winner of the Championship, the Amateur Champion for the year, also earns points that contribute to their WAGR ranking. The 61st FirstBank Lagos Amateur Open Golf Championship is also supported by Seven-Up Bottling Company, One Spirit Company and Palton Morgan Holdings.
On behalf of the tournament organisers, Ibukun Obatoyinbo, Director Concierge Sports said “FirstBank Lagos Amateur Open Golf Championship has been the premier amateur golf event in West Africa. It is notable that some of the top golf professionals within this environment have been participants & past winners of the Championship. As we mark the 61st edition this year Concierge Sports are committed to the continued promotion & support of the development of the sport in Nigeria. We are confident that a new set of stars will emerge courtesy of FirstBank’s unwavering sponsorship of the Championship. We look forward to an exciting 2022 edition.”
Anticipating the thrills of fun and excitement to be witnessed in the 61st FirstBank Lagos Amateur Open Golf Tournament, Oluwaseyi Otulana, Chief Marketing Officer, Palton Morgan Holdings said “Palton Morgan Holdings is proud to be a partner at the 61st edition of the FirstBank Lagos Amateur Open Golf Championship. The game of golf is truly a game of the masters and as the budding masters converge this year at the Ikoyi Club 1938 Golf Course, a long-standing tradition since the Championship’s inception in 1960, we look forward to an exciting tournament as participants journey from far and near to grace this prestigious event.
We understand that great things come from humble beginnings which is why we are glad to be a part of this year’s event. Palton Morgan as masters in our own right wishes all the participants the best of luck.”
Speaking ahead of the 61st edition, Mrs. Folake Ani-Mumuney Group Head, Marketing and Corporate Communications highlights FirstBank’s consistent role in driving development through sports: ‘’As an institution that is woven into the fabric of the society for nearly 129 years, FirstBank has been at the forefront of the growth and development of sports in Nigeria for decades. Our constant commitment to sports is a demonstration of our belief that sport remains a major vehicle for social and economic development. From infrastructure development, employment generation to social skills, sport remains a unifying force for socio-cultural interaction and development regardless of language, culture and religion.’’
Assuring participants of a memorable tournament, Dr. Anthony Oboh, Golf Captain, Ikoyi club 1938 stated that “It’s our pride and honour to welcome participants to the 61st edition of the FirstBank Lagos Amateur Open Golf Championship, the premier amateur golf event in West Africa. 61 years of continued partnership with FirstBank has been phenomennal. It is a partnership we are proud of and we look forward to fostering for many more decades.
To participants from across Nigeria and Africa, we invite you to enjoy our facilities. This 2022 edition promises to be more exciting and better than those before it. Go swing, enjoy your golf, and we can’t wait to congratulate the Amateur Champion for the year.”
Expressing his appreciation to FirstBank for its unbroken sponsorship through the years, Ademola Mumuney, Chairman, Ikoyi Club 1938 noted that “golfing in Nigeria and particularly Ikoyi Club 1938, cannot be sufficiently described without due recognition of FirstBank’s consistent and unbridled partnership, year over year, for more than six decades. Greatness is well exemplified in this fusion of Golf and FirstBank. I hope other organisations would latch on to this for better enhancement of sports in Nigeria”.
Since its debut, FirstBank Lagos Amateur Open Golf Championship has been the most consistent and premier amateur golf event in West Africa and has produced great champions most of who are competing in the elite professional golf cadre. Last year, the Championship threw up Ilorin based Aminu Kadir who won the landmark edition. It is expected that this year’s edition will produce another great winner.
Other FirstBank-sponsored sporting events include the Georgian Cup of Kaduna Polo Tournament, sponsored for 102 years; the Dala Tennis Hard Court in Kano Club for over 30 years; the Obasanjo Pro-Amateur Golf tournament of Abeokuta Club now in its 6th year. The Bank’s influence in the development of sport in Nigeria is under its First@Sport initiative.
Parthian Partners wins Inter *Dealer Broker of the year, lauded for pioneering IDB model in Nigeria
Parthian Partners wins Inter *Dealer Broker of the year, lauded for pioneering IDB model in Nigeria*
Parthian Partners Limited, Nigeria’s first interdealer broker and founder of i-invest, the first fixed income investment app in Nigeria, has won the BusinessDay Banks and Financial Institutions (BAFI) Awards for the ‘Interdealer Broker of the Year 2022’ in recognition of its impact and contribution to the overall growth and stability of the fixed income market, its financial performance – credit rating affirmed Bbb+, as well as its innovativeness and growth across different product lines.
According to the organisers of BAFI, the Inter-Dealer Broker of the Year Award was initiated this year in recognition of the critical role this little-publicized corner of the fixed income market’s microstructure plays in ensuring its efficiency. “We congratulate Parthian Partners on the celebration of its tenth anniversary. Reading reports of how the journey of building the first interdealer broker in Nigeria, at a time when the regulations did not even exist, attests to the foresight and determination of the founding team and its backers. This is the type of grit to follow the path less travelled that we celebrate at the BAFI Awards,” they explained.
Commenting on the award, the Group Managing Director of Parthian Partners, Mr. Oluseye Olusoga thanked the staff of the company for their commitment to the actualisation of the company’s vision, while dedicating the award to the firm’s clients. “Since we pioneered the wholesale fixed income financial intermediary model in Nigeria 10 years ago, Parthian Partners has remained steadfast in its commitment to matching buyers and sellers, providing independent data to participants in the fixed income market, enabling confidence in transactions, creating liquidity and price discovery, as well as facilitating the unfettered flow of capital for an efficient market,” he said. He stated that the company will not rest on its laurels but will continue to provide the best services while increasing shareholder value and returns on investment.
Now in its 10th year, the BAFI Awards were created to recognise and celebrate organisations, teams and individuals that are achieving excellence in the delivery of financial services across the entire client and customer spectrum.
Full Inaugural Speech Of Osun State Gov., Adedamola Adeleke
Full Inaugural Speech Of Osun State Gov., Adedamola Adeleke
1. Today, I stand on the podium of history with a sacred pledge to God and the good people of Osun State that my intellect, passion and strength will be devoted to nothing but the welfare, peace and security of our people.
2. As I accept the mantle of leadership entrusted upon me by the people of our dear State, I am conscious of the enormous challenges and responsibilities ahead of me and will beginning from this hour work day and night with deep sense of purpose to be a servant to you all.
3. Our gathering here to witness the materialisation of a new era is not an accident of history. We are all programmed by the Almighty God to be what we have been, what we are and what we will be in future.
4. Let me use this occasion to salute the founding fathers of our dear state, all the past administrators and Governors of Osun state as well as everyone who has contributed one way or the other to the growth, stability and progress of our state in the last 31 years.
5. I equally salute our fallen heroes both at the national and state level for the great sacrifice they have made to have a country and a state to call our own.
6. I am well aware of the fact that my responsibility as the Governor and Chief Security Officer of Osun State entails meeting the legitimate expectations of our people. Therefore, I promise that those expectations of the workers, traders, artisans, farmers, business owners, students, pensioners, traditional and religious leaders and indeed all residents of Osun State will be met by the grace of God and the cooperation of everyone.
7. Under my watch as the Governor of Osun State, I will boldly correct all past injustice, corrupt acts or policies by any previous administration which are against the collective interest of our people.
8. Let me state here that from the education, health, mining Sector, agriculture, road infrastructure and supply of portable water, let it be known to all that it is no longer going to be business as usual. And I repeat, it is no longer business as usual.
9. Our administration will demonstrate a high sense of urgency, transparency, justice and innovation to tackle and solve the problems of poverty, illiteracy, disease, and poor infrastructure.
10. Your Governor will be a people’s Governor. I will be accessible, responsive, consultative and proactive in handling small and big matters of State Governance.
11. I know that as a product of the collective will of you my people, there is a heavy weight of history on my shoulders and I accept the urgency of your expectations, the depth of your aspirations and your conviction in me to build a better State.
DEVELOPMENT AGENDA FOR OSUN STATE
12. Ladies and Gentlemen, you will recall that our party, the Peoples Democratic Party campaigned on a five point agenda namely:
a. Welfare of workers and pensioners;
b. Boosting the state’s economy
c. Home-grown infrastructure policy;
d. People-focused policy on education, affordable Health Care, Security and Social Welfare;
e. Agro-Based Industrialization for Wealth and Job Creation.
13. While a detailed programme of action will soon be unveiled on each of these 5-point agenda, let me quickly give you some insights into our policy direction.
14. It is disheartening to see our State at the bottom of the national educational ratings especially in public primary and Secondary schools examinations. My administration will launch reform with direct focus on improvement of learning environment and outcome. Our target is to reverse the poor performance of students in public examinations within the next few years.
15. To achieve this target, we will prioritise in-service training and welfare of teachers, enhancement of school environment, entrenchment of discipline in the school system as well as involvement of the Parents-Teachers Association in our school administration system.
16. Our administration will soon convene an emergency Education Conference to articulate our blueprint on the restoration of the state’s education glory.
17. We regard as critical the need to boost wealth creation, job opportunities and food security through innovative agricultural reforms covering all the agricultural value chains.
18. Aside the introduction of modern agricultural practices, we will shift attention to agriculture for export to take advantage of global markets.
19. While we target agriculture export earnings, we will establish modern farmers’ markets where producers and off takers can transact businesses.
20. In our desire to diversify Osun economy, my administration will target the tourism sector to boost our GDP and create new jobs.
21. Osun State is the historical capital of the Yoruba people and it is my intention to develop a strong business model to transform this rich historical heritage into huge tourism. We will encourage and partner with the traditional institutions, business organisations and foreign partners to develop the culture and tourism industry which includes our beautiful waterfalls, the Osun Osogbo World Heritage site and many cultural festivals across the state.
WOMEN AND YOUTH DEVELOPMENT
22. Women and youths are important segments in our development programme. I had earlier set up a youth advisory council which has produced an impressive blueprint for youth development in Osun State. I plan to ensure speedy implementation of their recommendations. More importantly, let me assure our women that our administration will be gender – sensitive in all appointments.
23. The health sector in Osun State is in need of urgent attention. Our government will give premium attention to improvement of the Primary Health care services. We will improve the working conditions of health workers and expand the coverage of our health insurance scheme. We plan to establish a standard diagnostic centre using the Public Private Partnership model and adopt measures that will retain medical practitioners in Osun state.
CLIMATE CHANGE AND ICT
24. Our administration will collaborate with Development partners to address problems of environmental pollution and Climate Change. We will equally promote digital literacy, tech innovations and create opportunities for our teeming youths in the ICT sector.
LOCAL GOVERNMENT REFORMS
25. In line with our campaign manifesto, our government will ensure local government autonomy in line with the provisions of the Nigeria constitution.
26. We will restore the lost glory of our local governments in order to make them more responsive to the needs of the people at the grassroots.
27. All policies that are not favourable to the growth of effective local government administration will be reviewed in accordance with the law.
28. No form of illegality will be allowed to stand and all acts of impunity committed by the immediate past administration on local government administration will be reversed following due process.
THE PUBLIC SERVICE
29. My administration will restore the integrity of the civil service which has been bastardised through favouritism and political considerations.
30. We will give the civil service a better orientation with a view to restoring its professionalism. In doing this, we will be fair and firm as we act only in pursuance of public interest.
31. Let me therefore announce an immediate return to status quo of all fresh appointments, placements and other major decisions taken by the immediate past administration with effect from the 17th of July, 2022.
32. I wish to assure all labour unions in the state of our administration’s willingness to protect workers interest and promote their welfare at all times. We will be a labour friendly government.
33. We will embark on a security sector reform that will target crime prevention, detection, neighbourhood policing and better synergy among security agencies. The Amotekun Corps will be strengthened while our administration will ensure operational linkage between local hunters and the Amotekun Corps. A “Know Your Neighbour” security initiative will be implemented. By the grace of God, very soon, Osun will return to its old nature of being a haven of peace.
34. My Good People of Osun, since you elected me as your Governor on the 16th of July 2022, which the INEC announced on July 17th 2022, the former Governor, Alh Isiaka Gboyega Oyetola maliciously started putting road blocks to make things difficult and almost impossible for the new administration to serve you.
35. Mass employment were carried out without budgetary provisions for salary payments for the new employees; even when the state was struggling to pay salaries and deliver other services. Various hurried and criminally backdated Contracts were awarded and again without budgetary provisions.
36. Appointments of several Obas were hurriedly done without following due process, just to mention a few.
37. All efforts to get the Governor set up a Transition Committee and submit hand-over notes in line with best practices proved abortive.
38. It is therefore my desire to ask for your patience and understanding to give my administration a few weeks to review and sort out all the actions and malicious confusions which the immediate past administration has created since July 17th 2022. Those actions were indeed vindictive measures against the people of Osun State for voting them out of office.
39. Consequently, I hereby issue the following directives which will be backed up with appropriate Executive orders:
i. Immediate freezing of all government accounts in banks and other financial institutions
ii. Immediate establishment of a panel to carry out an inventory and recover all government assets
iii. An immediate establishment of a panel to review all appointments and major decisions of the immediate past administration taken after the 17th July, 2022
iv. An immediate reversal to the constitutionally recognised name of our state, Osun State. All government insignia, correspondences and signages should henceforth reflect Osun state rather than State of Osun which is unknown to the Nigerian constitution.
40. As I conclude this address, let me express my appreciation to the President and Commander-In-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR for allowing a conducive atmosphere for a peaceful, free and fair election in Osun state.
41. I thank the national leadership of our party, the Peoples Democratic Party under the able leadership of our Chairman, His Excellency Sen. Iyorchia Ayu and his National Working Committee for their immeasurable support.
42. I also thank our presidential candidate, His Excellency Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, GCON, Vice presidential candidate His Excellency Sen. Ifeanyi Okowa, CON, all PDP state Governors, the Minority caucuses of the Senate, House of Representatives and Osun State House of Assembly and other party stakeholders who stood by Osun state to reclaim our mandate which was stolen four years ago.
43. Let me also thank the state chapter of the PDP under the able leadership of Dr. Adekunle Akindele, the immediate past leadership under Hon. Sunday Bisi and all party leaders in the 30 local government areas and Ife East area office. I thank you for your steadfastness, loyalty and commitment to the ideals which the Peoples Democratic Party represents.
44. My deep sense of appreciation goes to my immediate family members beginning with my elder brother Dr, Adedeji Adeleke, my immediate elder sister Yeye Modupe Adeleke-Sanni, my wives Titi and Ngozi, my children, nephews and nieces especially David Adedeji Adeleke A.K.A. Davido for their love, support and sacrifice towards ensuring that we got this far. May your sacrifices never be in vain. I assure you that the selfless services of our late father Sen. Raji Ayoola Adeleke, our mother Prophetess Esther Adeleke and our late scion of the Adeleke family, the first Governor of Osun state, His Excellency Alhaji Isiaka Adetunji Adeleke will always guide my actions as I serve the good people of Osun state.
45. I must not end this address without appreciating the Nigerian judiciary and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for their uprightness, neutrality, professionalism and courage in protecting our democracy without fear or favour.
46. I commend our security agencies for providing a peaceful and conducive atmosphere before, during and after the electoral process.
47. Finally, I extend my thanks to party men and women, friends, associates, supporters across party lines, the Media and the courageous Osun voters who have stood resolutely to give and defend this mandate. I am most sincerely grateful.
48. Ladies and Gentlemen, I have a grand vision of a new Osun state. But I cannot do it alone. I therefore seek the support and cooperation of everyone to make this happen.
49. I hereby extend a strong hand of fellowship to the other arms of governments, the Legislature and the Judiciary. As a former lawmaker and a graduate of Criminal Justice, I appreciate the importance of collaboration among the Executive, the Legislature and the Judiciary.
50. I call on all political parties to unite in the best interest of the state. Election is over. Now is the time for governance. We are open to fresh ideas in line with our manifesto.
51. For the purpose of emphasis, I will be a Governor for all Osun people regardless of differences in language, faith, political affiliation or any other considerations.
52. Welcome to a new Osun State, The State of The Living Spring.
53. Thank you and God bless you all
Nigerian Soldier Guns Down Colleague, Opens Fire On UN Pilot
Nigerian Soldier Guns Down Colleague, Opens Fire On UN Pilot
Twenty-four hours after the Nigerian Army suffered a major loss with the killing of Brigadier General Audu James, the military has recorded yet another tragedy.
While the dust over that incident was yet to settle, another soldier opened fire on his colleagues, killing one of them and a humanitarian worker.
A co-pilot of a UN helicopter sustained injuries in the incident, which occurred in Damboa Local Government Area of Borno.
According to the Assistant Director of Army Public Relations, Major Samson Zhakom, troops had to shoot him down to prevent more havoc.
Zhakom said the injured co-pilot has been stabilized, and that investigation has commenced into the regrettable incident.
“The theatre command Operation Hadin Kai regrets to inform the general public of a sad occurrence at one of our military bases today. A soldier shot and killed a staff of one of the NGOs providing humanitarian support in the North East.”
“Same soldier also killed another soldier and injured the co-pilot of one of the UN helicopters. Own troops on the ground immediately neutralized the errant personnel.
“The injured co-pilot has been stabilized while the corpses of the deceased have been moved to the 7 Division Hospital. A detailed investigation into the incident and subsequent remedial actions have commenced into the highly regrettable incident.”
Cover Of The Week
- DLA Piper Reaffirms Africa-Focus with Two Projects Partner Appointments December 2, 2022
- Military officers in Eastern Equatoria learn about importance of respecting human rights December 2, 2022
- Time to close the deep disparities that leave so many persons with disabilities behind December 2, 2022
- South Sudan develops the next Health Sector Strategic Plan (HSSP) 2023-2027 December 2, 2022
- Ghana's Newest University is Putting West Africa at Forefront of the Digital Revolution December 2, 2022
- United States (U.S)-African Leaders Summit 2022, to Enhance Cooperation on Shared Global Priorities December 2, 2022
- Uganda: United States (US) City honours Speaker Oulanyah December 2, 2022
- Uganda: Protect Savings and Credit Cooperatives (SACCO) in new Microfinance Deposit-Taking Institutions (MDI) law – Speaker Among December 2, 2022
- Chairman of Transitional Sovereignty Council in Sudan Receives Credentials of Qatar Ambassador December 2, 2022
- Liberia: President Weah Nominates Minister of State, Others December 2, 2022
Crime4 months ago
More Trouble In Abuja As Gunmen Invade Chicken Republic, Snatch Cars, Phones
religion6 months ago
2023: Exclusive! Late TB Joshua’s Prophecy Concerning APC,PDP( VIDEO )
Politics4 months ago
APC Loses Majority As 12 Senators Submit Defection Letter To Senate President, Ahmed Lawan
Politics3 weeks ago
Nigerians in the Diaspora will play a robust role in my administration – Tinubu