Workers in Ondo State have vowed to proceed on an indefinite strike tomorrow if the state government does not pay all outstanding salaries for May and June with the deductions.
The workers grouse include non-payment of the deductions for March and April this year.
Chairman of the Joint Public Service Negotiating Council, JNC, Comrade Sunday Adeleye said this in Akure, yesterday.
Adeleye noted that the planned indefinite strike became imperative after the workers issued a seven-day ultimatum to the state government last week to commence the payment of owned salary without further delay.
The Chairman said “We have been meeting with the representatives of the state government since last week after issuing a seven-day ultimatum and it ended in a deadlock.
“But if by Tuesday, government failed to yield to our demand, the union will have no other option than to call a congress and an indefinite total strike declared tomorrow.”
Adeleye said the non-remittance of workers deductions to their different cooperatives has stopped them from meeting their needs.
The seven-day ultimatum was also contained in a statement signed by the JNC State Chairman, Adeleye after a meeting with labour leaders in Akure, the state capital.
Adeleye noted in the statement that non-payment of all deductions in the salary of the workers’ shows government’s insensitivity to the plight of civil servants in the state.
The statement on the ultimatum reads; “The unions in the Public Service of Ondo State under the Joint Negotiating Council (JNC) rose from its meeting held on Monday, 13th July, 2015 where exhaustive deliberations on the welfare of workers in the public service of the state were discussed.
“The meeting however agreed that the untold hardship of the delay in the payment of salaries to workers and observed that, life is no longer bearable and pride of being Civil Servants has become a thing of the past.”Your Excellency, it is quite imperative to inform you that, deductions for March, April and full salaries for May and June, 2015 are yet to be paid.
“Your Excellency, it is disheartening to note that Cooperative Societies for workers have died due to non-release of workers deductions to the societies and these are areas where workers look up to in time of need.
“The feeling of the entire workers is that of hopelessness, disenchantment, frustration and economic enslavement of highest order since they could no longer meet their social and family responsibilities.
“The meeting therefore resolved to appeal to the state government to pay up all the outstanding salaries and deduction without further delay; within a stipulated period of seven days from the receipt of this letter.
“Failure, the leaders of the Unions in the Public Service of the State may not be able to guaranty an industrial peace in the state.”
Cover Of The Week
- Cornavirus - Kenya: Total of 110 confirmed coronavirus Cases April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Sudan: As of 01 April 2020, seven cases of confirmed COVID-19 reported in Sudan April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Ethiopia: Notification note on COVID-19 situational update- April 2, 2020 April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Zimbabwe: 8 confirmed cases as at 1 April April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Ghana: Situation Update, Confirmed Covid-19 Cases in Ghana as at 02 April 2020, 14:00hrs April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - South Africa: Ministers Blade Nzimande and Zweli Mkhize postpone impact of Covid-19 on South Africans survey April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: WHO concerned as COVID-19 cases accelerate in Africa April 2, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: Update April 2, 2020
- United Nations (UN) Human Rights Committee publishes findings on Central African Republic, Portugal, Tunisia, Uzbekistan and Dominica April 2, 2020
celebrity radar - gossips3 months ago
Apostle Omotosho Releases Shocking 57 Prophecies For 2020
Sports7 months ago
Winners emerge in the 2019 Nigerian and African Freestyle Football Championship
Entertainment6 months ago
“Why Ultrabest Dance School is the best in Nigeria”- Juliet Ugwoeje
Fashion/Lifestyle4 months ago
Face Of Universe Nigeria Beauty pageant maiden edition Registration kicks off January 20th