It is the 50th birthday celebration of Kabiyesi Abdulwasiu Omogbolahan Lawal, Abisogun II, Oniru of Iru Kingdom. Indeed, it is worthy to celebrate this hardworking, focused and dedicated monarch who has served his country and state with uncommon dedication and was recently chosen by his people to lead them as their traditional ruler.
50 years on earth is no joke and to be celebrating it a few weeks after ascending the throne of his forefathers calls for celebration and rolling out the drums, but Kabiyesi Abdulwasiu Omogbolahan Lawal, Abisogun II as decided that the celebration should be a very quiet one. One is because of the need for people to observe social distancing in order continue the global fight against the pandemic coronavirus and two, because Kabiyesi feels it’s a time for him to quietly reflect, even while offering prayers to the Almighty for His mercies and love towards him, his family and Iru Kingdom as a whole.
To this end, Kabiyesi we hear has directed that the palace will not be taking visitors nor having any ceremonies at all, but that all well wishers should please pray for him and the kingdom and celebrate his golden jubilee from their various homes.
Since ascending the throne a few weeks ago, he has embarked on a number of initiatives to reposition Iru and chart a course of prosperity for the kingdom. One of his initiatives that have been applauded by indigenes, residents and businesses in the kingdom is the ‘Let’s Grow Iru Land Together’ project which took off shortly after his ascension.
According to the Oba Gbolahan Lawal, ‘My vision for Iru is to ensure we become one of the most desirable places to live, work and do business in Lagos, Nigeria and the continent, especially in the area of tourism, culture, health and environment’.
A peace loving gentleman, Abdulwasiu was the Aide de Camp to Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu throughout his tenure as the Executive Governor of Lagos State between 1999 and 2007, and carried out his assigned duty with admired candor and diligence. In spite of how tempestuous the politics that characterized the period was, his name never came up in any negative report or controversy.
Upon retirement from the force after the completion of his service to the nation, rather than return home and make politics a career, which would have happened on a platter of gold, considering his royal background and political connections, the lover of cerebral debates and intellectual stimulations opted to go back to school to further deepen his intellectual wells. He obtained an M.sc in Violence, Conflicts and Development, from the School of Oriental and African Studies, SOAS, University of London in 2008. Kabiyesi Abdulwasiu Gbolahan Lawal also did a program in International Housing Finance Program and Advanced Management Program, AMP at the prestigious Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, United States in 2015. These are strong testimonials to his quest for knowledge and personal development, which are his dream for the kingdom of Iru as its ruler.
Happy 50th birthday, Kabiyesi Abdulwasiu Omogbolahan Lawal, Abisogun II. May the Almighty bless and keep you, and continue to bless you with wisdom and strength to lead the good people of Iru Land.
Cover Of The Week
- Standard Chartered and Airtel Africa form partnership to drive financial inclusion across Africa August 13, 2020
- Coronavirus - Niger: Improving access to sustainable water, hygiene and sanitation services in Niger August 12, 2020
- Coronavirus: The African Women Leaders Network – a movement for the transformation of Africa August 12, 2020
- Coronavirus - Sierra Leone: COVID-19 update (12th August 2020) August 12, 2020
- Coronavirus - Zambia: COVID-19 Update 12 August 2020 August 12, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: COVID-19 WHO Africa Update 12.08.2020 August 12, 2020
- Coronavirus - Nigeria: The COVID-19 Nigeria situation report for 11th August, 2020 August 12, 2020
- Coronavirus - Kenya: COVID-19 Update (12.08.2020) August 12, 2020
- Coronavirus - Kenya: The distribution of the cases by counties as of 12 August 2020 August 12, 2020
- Business Insider Africa now a standalone site with expanded coverage across Africa August 12, 2020
news5 months ago
Governor Dapo Abiodun : The Silent Hardworking Governor
Uncategorized2 months ago
STOP PRESS! AJIMOBI IS NOT DEAD SAYS SPOKESMAN, BOLAJI TUNJI
Politics3 months ago
Lagos Speaker,Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Obasa Clears The Air On Fraud Rumour
Education2 months ago
Methodist owned Wesley University owe staff up to 40 months Salaries