Former First Lady, Turai Yar’Adua, on Saturday visited former President Olusegun Obasanjo in his residence in Abeokuta, the Ogun state capital.
Mrs. Yar’Adua, reportedly accompanied to the former president’s residence by businessman Kenny Martins, met privately with Mr. Obasanjo for more than an hour before departing in a convoy of three cars, our sources said.
It is the former First Lady’s visit to Mr. Obasanjo since her husband died in office in 2010 after prolonged illness.
Those close to her said during the visit, she thanked the former President for finding her late husband a worthy successor, and pleaded with him to forgive her and her family for whatever wrong was done to him (Obasanjo) during Mr. Yar’Adua’s tenure.
Mr. Obasanjo, who helped the late president to power in 2007, had grown critical of the former President’s immediate family and associates who he accused of mounting a “cloak and dagger operation” to conceal Mr. Yar’Adua’s health status and block his then deputy (Goodluck Jonathan), from assuming power.
Sources said Mrs. Yar’Adua also pleaded with Mr. Obasanjo to prevail on President Muhammadu Buhari not to harass or victimize her family members or those who worked with her husband.
“She specifically intimated the former President of the ongoing probe of one of her daughters, Zainab, by the EFCC. She believed it is a witch-hunt, a ploy by the Buhari government to get at her family,” one of our sources said.
An aide of Mr. Obasanjo confirmed the visit.
“It is true that she visited on Saturday,” the aide said. “I don’t know exactly what she discussed with Baba (Obasanjo). But I think it is safe to say she came to greet him and discuss issues relevant to the two families.”
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission had on July 22 summoned Zainab, wife of former Kebbi State Governor, Saidu Dakingari, over alleged N2billion fraud perpetrated during her husband’s tenure as governor of the Northwest State.
Mrs. Dakingari was initially expected to report for questioning at the EFCC headquarters on July 22.
However, she was given another appointment for July 27 after she sent words that she was away to Saudi Arabia for Umrah (lesser hajj).
When she appeared that July 27, investigators said she was granted administrative bail on health grounds and asked to return on a future date.
Cover Of The Week
- [Media Alert] Jack Ma Foundation and Alibaba Foundation Host 11th Global MediXchange for Combating COVID-19 (GMCC) Webinar in Africa in Collaboration with the United Nations May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Libya: COVID-19 Situation Report (27th May 2020) May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: COVID-19 hygiene measures must be enforced in schools set to reopen in West and Central Africa, says Save the Children May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: Southern and Eastern Africa COVID-19 Digest (27 May 2020) May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Africa: Global Education Coalition facilitates free internet access for distance education in several countries May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Ethiopia: Notification Note on COVID-19 Situational Update - 27 May 2020 May 27, 2020
- The African Union Development Agency (AUDA-NEPAD) and Ecobank Group announce the key focus areas of their joint initiative to support Africa’s Micro Small and Medium Enterprises May 27, 2020
- Egypt: African Development Bank approves emergency relief aid to tackle food insecurity for vulnerable workers whose livelihoods are impacted by COVID-19 May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus: African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases As of 27 May 2020, 9am EAT May 27, 2020
- Coronavirus - Kenya: 123 people have tested positive of COVID-19 May 27, 2020
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
Apostle Omotosho Releases Shocking 57 Prophecies For 2020
news2 months ago
Governor Dapo Abiodun : The Silent Hardworking Governor
Fashion/Lifestyle6 months ago
Face Of Universe Nigeria Beauty pageant maiden edition Registration kicks off January 20th
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
ECOWAS Youth Council Decorates Seyi Tinubu as an Ambassador…Honour Him with Nelson Mandela Leadership Award