Former First Lady, Turai Yar’Adua, on Saturday visited former President Olusegun Obasanjo in his residence in Abeokuta, the Ogun state capital.
Mrs. Yar’Adua, reportedly accompanied to the former president’s residence by businessman Kenny Martins, met privately with Mr. Obasanjo for more than an hour before departing in a convoy of three cars, our sources said.
It is the former First Lady’s visit to Mr. Obasanjo since her husband died in office in 2010 after prolonged illness.
Those close to her said during the visit, she thanked the former President for finding her late husband a worthy successor, and pleaded with him to forgive her and her family for whatever wrong was done to him (Obasanjo) during Mr. Yar’Adua’s tenure.
Mr. Obasanjo, who helped the late president to power in 2007, had grown critical of the former President’s immediate family and associates who he accused of mounting a “cloak and dagger operation” to conceal Mr. Yar’Adua’s health status and block his then deputy (Goodluck Jonathan), from assuming power.
Sources said Mrs. Yar’Adua also pleaded with Mr. Obasanjo to prevail on President Muhammadu Buhari not to harass or victimize her family members or those who worked with her husband.
“She specifically intimated the former President of the ongoing probe of one of her daughters, Zainab, by the EFCC. She believed it is a witch-hunt, a ploy by the Buhari government to get at her family,” one of our sources said.
An aide of Mr. Obasanjo confirmed the visit.
“It is true that she visited on Saturday,” the aide said. “I don’t know exactly what she discussed with Baba (Obasanjo). But I think it is safe to say she came to greet him and discuss issues relevant to the two families.”
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission had on July 22 summoned Zainab, wife of former Kebbi State Governor, Saidu Dakingari, over alleged N2billion fraud perpetrated during her husband’s tenure as governor of the Northwest State.
Mrs. Dakingari was initially expected to report for questioning at the EFCC headquarters on July 22.
However, she was given another appointment for July 27 after she sent words that she was away to Saudi Arabia for Umrah (lesser hajj).
When she appeared that July 27, investigators said she was granted administrative bail on health grounds and asked to return on a future date.
PMB DIDN’T REJECT ABIODUN-SANWO-OLU ROAD REPAIR PROPOSAL
AMOSUN OBAS: WE’LL MAKE OUR DECISION PUBLIC SOON- ABIODUN
India Support orphanage Named After TB Joshua In South Sudan
Seyi & Layal Tinubu’s Noella Foundation Partners Food Clique Support to Feed Students on World Food Day
FIRST BANK: TOWARDS REVIVING NIGERIA’S TEXTILE INDUSTRY
Cover Of The Week
- Award-Winning Actress Julia Ormond, Egyptian Actor Asser Yassin join Global Migration Film Festival 2019 Jury October 18, 2019
- Didier Reynders confirms Belgium’s commitment to the Children and Armed Conflict agenda October 18, 2019
- A Hispanic American at U.S. Embassy Malabo October 18, 2019
- Contest: Aweil Students Test Their Spelling Abilities on Key Words in Country’s Peace Agreement October 18, 2019
- Wang Yi and South African International Relations and Cooperation Minister Naledi Pandor hold talks October 18, 2019
- The Ceremony of Handing Over of Agricultural Equipment within the Framework of the Japanese Programme « Support to Underpriviledged Gambian Farmers » to the Gambia October 18, 2019
- World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF) Annual Meetings in Washington: European Investment Bank (EIB) mobilises substantial resources in Tunisia October 18, 2019
- World Food Prize and World Hunger Fighters Foundation Launch Fellowship for Young African Agribusiness Innovators October 18, 2019
- Kenya Takes Vital Step Against Cervical Cancer and Introduces Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) Vaccine into Routine Immunization October 18, 2019
- Chinese Ambassador Zhao Yanbo attended the Groundbreaking Ceremony of China-aid Kazungula Primary School October 18, 2019
Business6 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Politics5 months ago
RT. HON. TUNJI EGBETOKUN: THE SCANVENGER AND ACHILLE’S HEEL OF EX GOVERNORS
Crime6 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others
Interviews4 months ago
“Mko, Adedibu, Oba Abimbola Jibola and I were the Key Players Behind June 12”-Chief Abimbola Aboderin