The Speaker of the Lagos State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Obasa, has said Nigerians need a united front more than ever before at this crucial period of our evolution as a Nation .
According to Obasa, Nigeria can hardly achieve anything positive without the unity of purpose of its citizens.
Obasa, Chairman of the Conference of Speakers of State Legislatures in Nigeria, said this in commemoration of this year’s celebration of the June 12, 1993 election, popularly acclaimed to have been won by the late Bashorun Moshood Abiola.
The Speaker noted that June 12, 1993 would remain in the hearts of Nigerians as the day the country’s citizens took their destinies in their hands with hope of a better future even though their collective decision was truncated by the military.
“There is no arguing the fact that the collective hope we all have today has its foundation on the June 12, 1993 election and the struggles that followed its annulment.
“As we commemorate that day again, we must remember the Nigerians who became victims just for democracy to be born in 1999. Many students lost their lives, senior Nigerians and leaders died. Many were maimed. Others have continued to bear the heartbreaks that came with the debacle . They remain our heroes.
“For the sake of these many, including Late MKO Abiola, the winner of the presidential election, his wife, Late Kudirat Olayinka Abiola, and several human rights activists, who went just to see us survive till this time, we all need to constantly remain conscious of our actions, love ourselves and our country and do only those things that would sustain our historical and democratic existence.
“June 12 was a manifestation of unity, an election during which Nigerians jettisoned the primordial sentiments of ethnocentrism and religious bigotry,” the Speaker said.
Obasa also commended notable leaders in the country including the National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, for their sacrifices, steadfastness and passion for the sustained growth and development of the country as well as for jealously protecting the democracy being enjoyed in the country today.
He thanked President Muhammadu Buhari for finally recognising June 12 as the real democracy day as a reminder that Abiola sacrificed his life for the country.
Cover Of The Week
- Central African Republic: Russian Wagner Group harassing and Intimidating Civilians - UN Experts October 27, 2021
- FESPACO: More awards for "Above Water" - the first feature film directed by A?ssa Ma?ga October 27, 2021
- Energy transition poised to provide boost to C?te d'Ivoire economy October 27, 2021
- The 2nd ICD - CIBAFI Webinar Discussed the Emergence of Cryptocurrencies and its Potential for the Growth of Islamic Finance Industry October 27, 2021
- WHO Supports the development of the Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child Health, Adolescent and Ageing 2022-2026 Strategic plan in the State of Eritrea, 14th October 2021 October 27, 2021
- UNESCO Learning City Award goes to ten cities with outstanding achievements in lifelong learning October 27, 2021
- Ghana: African Development Bank extends $75 million loan to Ghana Infrastructure Investment Fund for portfolio expansion October 27, 2021
- Meryame Kitir Presents Belgian Sahel Climate Programme in Burkina Faso October 27, 2021
- New US$150 Million Program to Strengthen Kenya's Resilience to Climate Change October 27, 2021
- Emirates Red Crescent Presents New Batch of Ambulances to Ethiopia October 27, 2021
Fashion/Lifestyle6 months ago
How To Make a Girl Horny Fast – 9 Easy Tricks
celebrity radar - gossips7 months ago
Odumeje, Rita Edochie Reject Ada Jesus Plea, Insist No Cure Unless (Video)
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
Mother Narrates How She Caught Actor, Baba Ijesha Defiling Her Daughter
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
The Intriguing Story Of Prophet Jeremiah Asuquo