The Nigeria police say they only recovered suspected stolen monies and some files from the Abuja residence of Danjuma Goje, a senator from Gombe state.
Last Friday, the police raided the house of Goje, carting away some monies and documents.
Goje, who is the chairman of the senate committee on appropriation, had accused the police of taking away the 2017 budget document after the raid.
He said work on the document might now be delayed.
But the police said they acted on a tip-off that a stash of stolen monies and incriminating items were about to be moved out of the building.
The police said Goje’s claim was a distraction aimed at perverting the end of justice.
“A search warrant duly obtained from court of competent jurisdiction was professionally executed in the house of Senator Danujma Goje on 20th April, 2017 at No 10 Haile Salasie Street, Asokoro District Abuja which was subsequent upon intelligence report at the disposal of the force that large sum of money suspected to be stolen public funds and other incriminating items are about to be moved out of the said house,” Jimoh Moshood, police spokesperson, said in a statement on Thursday.
“It is worthy of note that on arrival of the police team to Senator Danujma Goje’s house, the house keeper Ango Usman informed the senator of the presence and mission of the team and he promised coming but later switched off his phone.
“The search warrant was successfully executed in the presence of three close relatives of Senator Danjuma Goje who are residing in the house and the recoveries were made in their presence.
“The three relatives listed below opened the house and took the police team round the building, and endorsed their signatures after the completion of the search as required by the procedure of law on search warrant which contained the money, documents and laptop recovered, and none of the items include 2017 budget document. This is available for inspection by any interested members of the public.”
The police listed the monies they recovered in the raid as ₦18,056,000, $19,850 and 9, 400 Saudi Riyal.
“The Nigeria police force wishes to state categorically that there was no single document relating to 2017 budget sighted or removed by the police team that executed the search warrant. There is video recording of the execution of the search warrant,” Moshood said.
“The Nigeria police force sees the report in the media credited to Senator Danjuma Goje as a deliberate distraction to cast aspersion on police investigation to pervert the end of justice.”
Cover Of The Week
- Coronavirus - Eswatini: COVID-19 daily update (12 June 2021) June 13, 2021
- Residents of Mogadishu and surrounding areas meet for peacebuilding dialogue June 13, 2021
- Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs, ILO and UNICEF commit to ending Child Labour in Somalia June 13, 2021
- Joint UN Press Release - UN agencies in Sudan reach conflict-affected communities in non-government-controlled areas for first time in a decade June 13, 2021
- Coronavirus - Rwanda: COVID-19 update (12 June 2021) June 13, 2021
- The Lionesses of Cameroon win the return Test Match against Burkina Faso June 13, 2021
- Tackling surges in severe COVID-19 cases in Africa June 12, 2021
- Coronavirus: African Union Member States reporting COVID-19 cases as of 12 June 2021, 9 am EAT June 12, 2021
- Coronavirus - Namibia: COVID-19 update (11 June 2021) June 12, 2021
- Coronavirus - Sierra Leone: COVID-19 update (11 June 2021) June 12, 2021
Politics7 months ago
US SUPREME COURT DECISION CONFIRMS TB JOSHUA PROPHECY
religion6 months ago
Kidnapping In Aso Rock, CBN Governor Indictment, Death Of Governor, Others – Primate Ayodele Fearful 2021 Prophecies
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
Profile of New Chief of Army Staff Maj Gen Ibrahim Attahiru
Fashion/Lifestyle2 months ago
How To Make a Girl Horny Fast – 9 Easy Tricks