The Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun, has disclosed that his administration would not allow the Tongeji Island, an island that shares boundary with the Republic of Benin to be taken away by Nigeria’s neighbouring country.
He expressed the determination of his administration to do all in its power to make life meaningful for the citizens of the state living within the Island.
Prince Abiodun said this when he received the Nigerian Ambassador to the Republic of Benin, Ambassador Emmanuel Kayode Oguntuase and the Flag Officer Commanding Western Region(FOC), Rear Admiral Oladele Daji.
He noted that the Island which had been on his administration’s radar because of its huge deposit of petroleum resources, was of huge interest to his administration.
Abiodun said the visit of the Ambassador would only make his administration to act even quicker and ensure that the Republic of Benin that shares boundary with the state does not take advantage of the Island located in the Ipokia Local Government area of the state, added that his administration would immediately set up a team to visit the Island on a fact finding mission and to find out what could be done to assure the people of the area that they have not being forgotten.
Gov. Abiodun further disclosed that his administration had informed the Federal Ministry of Petroleum that the Island was of huge interest to the state government, adding that his government had also began discussions with investors on the way forward.
” It is a place where we do have valuable reserve and I had mentioned to the Federal Ministry of Petroleum that the Tongeji Island and Ogun Waterside are areas of interest to the state government and we have began discussions with others to explore partnership agreements under a Public Private Partnership to see what we can do in terms of prospecting the opportunities that lay beneath the soil in Tongeji Island and Ogun Waterside,” he said.
He added that his administration would fast-track the process to see other services that could be rendered to the people of the area and promised that he would take the issue up with the National Borders Commission.
The governor said he would also engage the Development Agenda for Western Nigeria Commission(DAWN) and involve Lagos and Oyo State governors that also share border towns with the Republic of Benin.
Abiodun while thanking the Flag Officer Commanding the Western Region, Rear Admiral Oladele Daji for ensuring that the water ways were free and devoid of anarchy, urged the FOC not to hesitate to bring to his notice issues that are germane to the security of the region.
In his remark, the Nigerian Ambassador to the Republic of Benin, Ambassador Emmanuel Kayode Oguntuase disclosed that his visit to the state governor was to intimate him on happenings in the area as the closet to the Island, adding that it was important to let the over One thousand inhabitants of the Island to feel governments presence, as the Republic of Benin was presently trying hard to lure the people and take over the Island because of the huge petroleum resources embedded beneath the ground.
The Nigerian Ambassador to the Republic of Benin and the Flag Officer Commanding Western Nigeria, had with them the Consular Officer, Mrs. Olubunmi Olanusi, Commandant, Nigerian Navy Secondary School, Abeokuta, Commandant Dauda and the Deputy Defence Attache, Commandant Tony Bassey.
Chief Press Secretary to the Governor
I visit my town regularly, media report suggesting otherwise is misleading – Boroffice
OGUN GOVT TO PARTNER CHINESE COMPANY IN REPOSITIONING AGRICULTURE – ABIODUN
Abuja Aglow as World Presidents, Dignitaries, Celebrities set for Africa’s Biggest Event -#theUBAMarketplace2019
Access Bank UK Balance Sheet up 36% as Polo Day Pledges N350m for Children in Education
Fasoranti’s Daughter : The greatest danger to Nigeria are not the Fulani terrorists but treacherous Yoruba slaves- Femi-Fani Kayode Blasts Tinubu
Cover Of The Week
- World Health Organization (WHO) scales up activities in Burkina Faso in response to worsening humanitarian situation July 15, 2019
- U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), Ministry of Higher Education, American University in Cairo (AUC) Inaugurate Centers for Career Development at Zagazig University July 15, 2019
- Voluntary National Reviews (VNR) lab reviews progress towards sustainable development goals July 15, 2019
- Fly, Stay, Earn - Marriott International And Emirates Strengthen Partnership With Relaunch Of Your World Rewards July 15, 2019
- July 17 Briefing on West Africa ― Public Health after the 2014-2016 Ebola Outbreak, with U.S. CDC's Center for Global Health Director Dr. Rebecca Martin July 15, 2019
- Canon Discovery Week continues in Nairobi, with in-store discounts throughout July to further develop relationship with customers July 15, 2019
- Moving the 2019 Total Africa Cup of Nations July 15, 2019
- Global Premium Smartphone TECNO Wins Africa Information Technology & Telecoms Awards (AITTA)Phone of the Year 2019 July 15, 2019
- Communities urged to support survivors of sexual violence rather than blaming and shaming them (by Filip Andersson) July 15, 2019
- IOM Outraged By Somalia Terrorist Attack July 15, 2019
celebrity radar - gossips5 months ago
2019 Election: The Nigerian election may likely be postponed because of many challenges. In whatever way, God is in Control “- T B Joshua Reveals
Uncategorized5 months ago
“We are not postponing elections” – INEC
Business2 months ago
Exposed! How APC Chieftain, Etiebet’s 2016 letter gave new clues to alleged N2.4bn debt to Access Bank
Crime3 months ago
Abduction:2 suspects nabbed Over Kidnap of Lagos state fire service Director, Six others