Prince Kolawole Ayinla Adeyemi,
National Chairman, Anti-Corruption Awareness Organization, Nigeria (ACAON), has said that economic recovery and development will continue to elude Nigeria unless it battles corruption to its knees across all spheres.
Alhaji Kolawole , while defining corruption as a phenomenon that constitutes threat to the security of human society, regretted that the scourge had eaten deep into the fabric of society and was why administrations in the country were unable to do any better than they did.
“It is not an overstatement that our nation is enmeshed in corrupt practices
in every sector and corruption has become topical issues both at the local and international levels, particularly the
homefront here as witnessed in this present administration.
“The scourge of corruption in the last four years of scandals of the past administrations especially the immediate past, plunged the economy into recession and crippled the socio-political being of the entity called Nigeria,” he alleged weekend at an event in Lagos.
“The prevention and eradication of corruption as well as bribery, as it
were, have become an absolute requirement for better public life. It is to
be noted, however, as stated earlier, that complete eradication of
corruption is a mirage. The focus of anti- corruption efforts, globally,
has been to reduce it to the barest minimum as will guarantee development
that leads to meaningful living condition for our people,” he added.
He recalled that while federal government did well by setting up legislative and institutional measures, and anti-corruption agencies like Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, the Independent Corrupt Practices and others offences Commission, ICPC, two decades ago, among other measures to combat corruption, more was still needed to be done. He admitted that the desired turnaround must revolve round a thorough re-orientation for all citizens, who must see themselves as patriots, work in synergy with government agencies, with public officials and corporate organizations mindful and totally committed to anti-graft measures in their workspaces
Cover Of The Week
- Ambassador visits Peace Corps Volunteers January 17, 2020
- UN Child Rights Committee to review Austria, Belarus, Costa Rica, Hungary, Rwanda and State of Palestine January 17, 2020
- Tanzania will continue to uphold one-China policy January 17, 2020
- A passion for food wins contest on innovative thinking January 17, 2020
- Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), UN Restate Commitment to Peace, Security and Stability in West Africa January 17, 2020
- Visit to Tokyo by Amb. Macharia Kamau, MBS – Principal Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs January 17, 2020
- Prosper Africa: Registration Open, Tunis January 17, 2020
- Security Alert: Threats against Nigerien and Western Government Facilities and Locations Frequented by Westerners January 17, 2020
- UN finds that prospects for economic growth in 2020 hinge on reducing trade disputes and uncertainty January 17, 2020
- Federal Government of Somalia, U.S. conduct airstrike against al-Shabaab terrorists January 17, 2020
Sports6 months ago
The Final Match Between Senegal Vs Algeria Today
celebrity radar - gossips6 months ago
Breaking News: What T.B. Joshua Told Assistant Coach Imama Amapakabo Before the Game Between Nigeria and Algeria .
celebrity radar - gossips4 weeks ago
Apostle Omotosho Releases Shocking 57 Prophecies For 2020
news6 months ago
Breaking News: What T.B. Joshua Told Assistant Coach Imama Amapakabo Before the Game Between Nigeria and Algeria