Connect with us

news

Blackout: Ogun donates 300KVA transformers to Isara, Oba communities

Published

on

Ogun

Blackout: Ogun donates 300KVA transformers to Isara, Oba communities

Ogun

Determined to make life more abundant for the people in Ogun State, the Governor Dapo Abiodun-led administration has donated 300KVA (33) to Isara and Oba towns in Remo North and Obafemi-Owode Local Government Areas of the state.

Speaking at the handing over of the power transformer in Isara, the chairman of Remo North LG, Adedapo Odunsi, thanked the state governor for taking the community out of darkness which it had experienced for three years.

 

Ogun

 

According to him, businesses in the area had suffered, adding that the residents of the town had to go extra mile to purchase fuel on a daily basis to sustain their businesses.

In his remarks, the Government Liaison Officer, Remo North LG, Abiola Ogundeko, noted that the lives, health, businesses and security of lives and properties of the community at large had been affected negatively due to the incessant power failure in the area.

 

 

 

“I’m using this medium to thank His Excellency, Governor Dapo Abiodun for his magnanimity. This gesture would put an end to the hardship that had been inflicted on the lives, health, businesses, work and security of lives and properties of the community”, he said.

A resident of the community, Mrs. Dorcas Fajobi, lamented that they had experienced unstable power supply for years as a result of the poor condition of the transformer.

 

 

 

 

She, however, expressed her gratitude to the state government for putting an end to the total blackout which the people had witnessed in the past.

In Oba community, residents were excited by the donation of the transformer.

 

 

 

 

 

According to them, the community had been thrown into the electricity blackout for almost a year due to the issue of a damaged transformer.

A resident and a frozen foods dealer, Mrs. Ife Akinsola, explained that the power outage had affected her sales negativity as she had to buy iced blocks from Abeokuta to preserve her frozen foods.

 

 

 

“I buy my frozen fish, chicken and turkey in small quantities and preserve them in a cooler. There are times when some of the products would become bad due to lack of adequate power, which often resulted in great loss for me. I want to sincerely thank the governor for coming to our aid”, she stated.

Another resident, Mr. Abiodun Badmus, who also thanked the governor for his magnanimity, said that several other businesses including welding, hairdressing, tailoring, to mention a few, had suffered a great deal in the area, adding that the installation of the transformer would bring the community out of darkness.

 

 

 

 

Earlier in his remarks, the Olu of Oba/Eerin, Oba Abdul-Ganiyu Adegun Sanyaolu, expressed his joy, saying that the governor did not only donate the transformer, he also deemed it fit to install it at no extra cost.

“I thank the State Government for its generosity. As I speak with you, the engineers are on site installing the transformer at no extra cost. All the cables and other equipment.
On behalf of my people, I thank the governor for his timely response to our needs and we declare our unflinching support for him at all times.

news

Buratai Pays Tribute to Ihejirika at 70, Hails Mentorship and Legacy of Leadership

Published

on

Buratai Pays Tribute to Ihejirika at 70, Hails Mentorship and Legacy of Leadership

Buratai Pays Tribute to Ihejirika at 70, Hails Mentorship and Legacy of Leadership

 

Former Chief of Army Staff and Nigeria’s immediate past Ambassador to the Republic of Benin, Lt. Gen. (Rtd) Tukur Yusuf Buratai, has paid a glowing tribute to his predecessor, Lt. Gen. OA Ihejirika, as the retired General marks his 70th birthday.

 

Buratai Pays Tribute to Ihejirika at 70, Hails Mentorship and Legacy of Leadership

In a heartfelt message released in Abuja on Friday, Buratai described Ihejirika as not only a distinguished soldier and statesman, but also a commander, mentor, and “architect of leadership” whose influence shaped a generation of senior military officers.

 

Buratai recalled that his professional rise within the Nigerian Army was significantly moulded under Ihejirika’s command, citing key appointments that defined his career trajectory.

Buratai Pays Tribute to Ihejirika at 70, Hails Mentorship and Legacy of Leadership

 

According to him, the trust reposed in him through early command responsibilities, including his first command posting at Headquarters 2 Brigade and later as Commandant of the Nigerian Army School of Infantry, laid a solid foundation for his future leadership roles.

 

“These opportunities were not mere appointments; they were strategic investments in leadership,” Buratai noted, adding that such exposure prepared him for higher national responsibilities.

Buratai Pays Tribute to Ihejirika at 70, Hails Mentorship and Legacy of Leadership

He further acknowledged that the mentorship and professional grounding he received under Ihejirika’s leadership were instrumental in his eventual appointment as Chief of Army Staff and later as Nigeria’s Ambassador to the Republic of Benin.

 

Buratai praised Ihejirika’s command philosophy, describing it as professional, pragmatic, and mission-driven. He said the former Army Chief led by example, combining firm strategic direction with a clear blueprint for excellence that continues to influence military leadership practices.

Buratai Pays Tribute to Ihejirika at 70, Hails Mentorship and Legacy of Leadership

 

“At seventy, General Ihejirika has earned the right to reflect on a legacy secured,” Buratai stated, praying for good health, peace, and enduring joy for the retired General as he enters a new decade.

 

He concluded by expressing profound gratitude for the leadership, mentorship, and lasting example provided by Ihejirika over the years.

 

The tribute was signed by Lt. Gen. Tukur Yusuf Buratai, who described himself as a grateful mentee and successor, underscoring the enduring bonds of mentorship within the Nigerian Army’s top leadership.

Continue Reading

news

Sagamu Plantation Row: Igimisoje-Anoko Family Challenges LG Claim

Published

on

The Odumena Igimisoje-Anoko family of Orile-Ofin in Sagamu Local Government Area of Ogun State has strongly disputed claims by the Sagamu Local Government that a large expanse of land near the Sagamu–Ikenne Road belongs to the state government, insisting that the property remains ancestral land belonging to their forefathers.
The family’s reaction follows a public warning issued by the Chairman of Sagamu Local Government, Ogbeni Jubril Olasile Odulate, cautioning residents against purchasing or occupying portions of what he described as a “state-owned rubber plantation” located beside the Ogun State Low-Cost Housing Estate near the NYSC Orientation Camp.
In the statement, the council alleged that some individuals were illegally selling and developing the land and maintained that the property had been earmarked for the proposed New Sagamu Government Reserved Area (GRA).
However, the Akarigbo family has countered the claim, describing the land as private ancestral property and not government-owned.
Speaking on behalf of the family, Omoba Babatunde Adegboyega Igimisoje, Secretary of the Odumena Igimisoje-Anoko family, said the land forms part of Orile-Ofin, which he described as the ancestral headquarters of Remo before the creation of Sagamu town.
According to him, the area is an inheritance from their forefathers and historically belongs to the Akarigbo lineage.
“Orile-Ofin is our ancestral land and the headquarters of Remo in those days. It was during the reign of our forefathers that Sagamu was later formed and settled in 1872, while Orile-Ofin remained our village,” he said.
He explained that the specific portion currently in dispute historically belonged to Oba Odumena Igimisoje-Anoko, whom he described as the last Igimisoje-Anoko to reign as king on the land.
Reacting to the local government’s ownership claim, Adegboyega insisted that the rubber plantation was never government property.
He said the land was only temporarily acquired by the old Western Region government in 1959 for agricultural purposes.
“In 1959, the Western Region acquired the land for rubber plantation, but that did not transfer ownership to the government permanently,” he stated.
The family further claimed that the land was later returned to the original owners.
According to him, during the administration of former Governor Gbenga Daniel between 2008 and 2011, steps were taken to return the land to the family, while his successor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, allegedly revoked lingering government control and formally handed it back to the Odumena Igimisoje-Anoko family.
“It was duly returned to the rightful owners. So it is surprising to now hear that the land is being described as local government property,” he said.
He cautioned the council chairman against interfering in what he called a family land matter.
“The rubber plantation land is not government land and does not belong to the local government. The chairman should not join an issue he does not fully understand,” he added.
In the same vein, Prince Abdul Fatai, an executive member of the Anoko family, also warned the local government to stay away from the land, describing it as their forefathers’ heritage.
He appealed to the Ogun State Government and the Akarigbo of Remoland to intervene in the matter to prevent tension and ensure peace in the community.
“We are calling on the state government and the Akarigbo to step in so that this issue can be resolved peacefully. This is our inheritance, and we want justice,” he said.
Meanwhile, Sagamu Local Government had maintained that the land belongs to the Ogun State Government and warned that anyone found buying, selling, fencing or developing plots in the area would face arrest and prosecution.
The dispute has now set the stage for a possible legal and administrative battle over ownership, with both sides standing firm on their claims.
Residents say they hope authorities and traditional institutions will urgently intervene to clarify ownership and prevent further conflict or losses for unsuspecting buyers.
Continue Reading

news

Sagamu Communities Exonerate Sir Kay Oluwo, Accuse Teriba of Land Invasions, Violence

Published

on

Residents of Ajeregun and eight other neighbouring communities in Sagamu Local Government Area of Ogun State have distanced businessman Sir Kay Oluwo from allegations of land grabbing and unrest in the area, instead accusing one Kazeem Teriba and his associates of orchestrating violent land invasions and illegal sales of community lands.
The community’s attempts to link Sir Kay Oluwo to the disturbances were false and misleading, maintaining that he only acquired lands through legitimate family transactions backed by agreements and receipts.
Speaking on behalf of Ajeregun and Oyewole Bakare villages, Mr. Akani Awokoya said Teriba and his group had been crossing into neighbouring communities to sell lands without the consent of rightful owners.
“It is not Sir Kay Oluwo that is disturbing us,” Awokoya said. “Kazeem Teriba and his boys are the ones causing the problem. They come into our communities and start selling our lands without permission.”
He explained that Sir Kay Oluwo purchased land lawfully from his family.
“I personally sold my father’s land to Sir Kay. We have agreements and receipts. It was a proper transaction,” he added.
Awokoya alleged that Teriba’s group had been linked to repeated acts of intimidation and violence in the area, creating fear among residents.
“These people operate like bandits. They invade communities and disturb the peace. We have reported them to the police and also petitioned the Akarigbo-in-Council,” he said.
Corroborating the claims, the Public Relations Officer representing the nine communities in Aroko Latawa village, Prince Raheem Shitta Adeoye, also absolved Sir Kay Oluwo of any wrongdoing.
According to him, the unrest being experienced across the communities began last year and was allegedly tied to Teriba and his associates.
“Sir Kay Oluwo is not disturbing anyone here. Kazeem Teriba and his boys are the ones causing the unrest. That is why all the nine communities are crying out to the government for help,” Adeoye said.
He noted that Oluwo only purchased land legitimately, while some individuals were laying claim to ownership of multiple villages.
Meanwhile, families in the affected communities, through their solicitors, Tawose & Tawose Chambers, have submitted a petition to the Inspector-General of Police over the alleged activities of Teriba and several others.
The petition accused the suspects of offences including aiding and abetting violence, conspiracy, unlawful possession of firearms and ammunition, assault, and conduct likely to cause a breach of public peace.
The solicitors alleged that the named individuals invaded Ajeregun village in Sagamu armed with guns, shooting sporadically and causing panic among residents.
They further claimed that during one of the incidents, a villager, Nasiru Semiu, sustained gunshot wounds and later died, while others were injured.
In a response dated January 5, 2026, the Office of the Inspector-General of Police acknowledged receipt of the petition and directed the Commissioner of Police, Ogun State Command, Eleweran, Abeokuta, to investigate the matter.
The letter, signed by CP Lateef Adio Ahmed, Principal Staff Officer to the Inspector-General of Police, confirmed that the case had been referred to the state command for appropriate action.
Community leaders said the development reinforces their call for a thorough investigation and urged the state government and security agencies to intervene to restore peace.
They maintained that Sir Kay Oluwo should not be blamed for the crisis and insisted that attention should instead focus on those allegedly responsible for the disturbances.
Meanwhile, Mr. Kazeem Teriba could not be reached for comment, as calls placed to his phone were not answered at the time of filing this report.
Continue Reading

Cover Of The Week

Trending